Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Mel Brooks 95 today

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
The Producers (the original) is still one of the funniest movies of all time. Whilst Blazing Saddles looks a little racist now, it was an anti racist masterpiece in 1974 and I enjoyed watching it again only last week.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Bless him ! Still waiting for the sequel to Spaceballs, as Yogurt said at the end " Spaceballs will return with Spaceballs 2, The Search for More Money "

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Brilliant filmmaker (latterly theatre producer), insane number of very funny films. Nice for a thread to celebrate him in life, rather than an RIP thread. Truly one of my favourite celebrity personalities. Young Frankenstein is a cracker too. And Spaceballs.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The Producers (the original) is still one of the funniest movies of all time. Whilst Blazing Saddles looks a little racist now, it was an anti racist masterpiece in 1974 and I enjoyed watching it again only last week.

Brooks skirted with lots of risky themes at times but claimed he could get away with things like " Springtime for Hitler " because he was clearly Jewish, other writers would have been roundly condemned.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Brooks has always had the stated aim of mocking those he despises by making them look as stupid as they are.

He takes plenty of shots at parts of Jewish culture he dislikes too

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I like this video he did last year taking a pop at Donald Trump for his shambolic handling of Covid

"And when you're dead you can't do much"

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Blazing Saddles is not in the least bit racist. It takes the piss out of racism.

A bit like It Ain't Half Hot Mum where the Indians shrug their shoulders at the idiot upper class white Englishmen who have ended up as Officers 'running' the War.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Mel Brooks is a comic genius. As a huge 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' fan some of my favourite episodes involve Larry David and Mel Brooks.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A genius.

He was clearly mocking The Third Reich and the Austrian corporal.

He was indeed, and I think only Mel Brooks could get away with that.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
It may not have been as well known as some of his other movies but I really enjoyed High Anxiety. It was a very affectionate send up of some of the great Hitchcock movies and very funny. Cloris Leachman, Madeline Kahn and Harvey Korman were on top form.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here