Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Anyone on NSC ever had a Toyota MR2. What do / did you think of it

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Don’t buy any imports !

A friend of mine had one a few years ago , she liked it . Very reliable. Personally I think the design looks quite dated now .

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
BMW Z3 and now an MR2 Binney? You’re not a hairdresser are you? :lolol: (says the man who has an Alfa GTV 916 :wink:)

Just joking, I had a friend who had a mark 1 MR2 and he absolutely loved it

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Right back in the day I had a MK2.

I loved it and loved the enveloping driving position.
I believe for the MK3 that got ditched in favour of a more traditional set up, while that dashboard and driving position was put into the new Celica, what a waste.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I am well into older 2 seaters, more of a MX5 fan but the MR2 is a very good car, just make sure you totally check it out before buying, try and find a t bar version.
Personally I would go for one of the British special edition MX5 like the Gleneagle or even better the Honda RS 2000, both really hold their money or increase in value if you look after it.
As has been said they are like driving a go kart.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Having raced a 356 I can see that.

They must have designed a bit of MK1 Capri in there too!

Yes, I've driven plenty of twitchy cars but the MR2 holds a special place in my heart - probably because I managed a 540 in one of the bloody things at Dingle Dell. I thought I knew what snap oversteer was, and thought I was a good pilot, until that day. Getting sweaty palms as I type:)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Yes, I've driven plenty of twitchy cars but the MR2 holds a special place in my heart - probably because I managed a 540 in one of the bloody things at Dingle Dell. I thought I knew what snap oversteer was, and thought I was a good pilot, until that day. Getting sweaty palms as I type:)

Brands GP is a real challenge in the wet, especially as the circuit is rarely used, it changes every 200 yards! Harder than Spa in the rain IMO.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
BMW Z3 and now an MR2 Binney? You’re not a hairdresser are you? :lolol: (says the man who has an Alfa GTV 916 :wink:)

Just joking, I had a friend who had a mark 1 MR2 and he absolutely loved it

Finally l know why you were so anti my opinion on Alfas rust problem on some of their circa 1970/80's models. You own one yourself!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Finally l know why you were so anti my opinion on Alfas rust problem on some of their circa 1970/80's models. You own one yourself!

I have owned 15 and I have no problem with anyone slagging off their rust problems in the 70's and 80's. Inferior cheap Russian steel and the Alfasud dissolved like soluble disprin in water. Such a shame as they were a fabulous car and there are very very few left now. Since then they have been very well built with minimal rust problems. My GTV is a 97 model that lives outside most of the time and is not babied. No rust and still on original shiny paintwork. 99% of people who have strong anti Alfa feelings have never actually owned one in my experience :smile:

How did you get on with yours? :wink:

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
Had a MK2 back in the 90s; very quick, stopped by the Bill on the A23 for breaking the speed limit by a considerable margin - somehow let off, that wouldn't happen today[emoji846]. It was also good at going round roundabouts sideways in the damp[emoji15]. Sold it for an MX-5, Harvard limited edition - by far the best car I've ever had[emoji106]

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Had a MK1
best fun car I ever had, even better than my old lotus esprit

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wish this thread didn't exist.

I'll be looking at a new (to me) car in about 6 months time, as Jnr inherits my current old Clio.
(amazingly a long term, but boring, plan around money, savings and succession might just actually work).

I'd all but given up on life and had pretty much decided my £5-10k would be spent on a 'forever car'.
Now suddenly I want my MR2 back, or it's current equivalent of a latter years mid-life crisis on wheels.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I wish this thread didn't exist.

I'll be looking at a new (to me) car in about 6 months time, as Jnr inherits my current old Clio.
(amazingly a long term, but boring, plan around money, savings and succession might just actually work).

I'd all but given up on life and had pretty much decided my £5-10k would be spent on a 'forever car'.
Now suddenly I want my MR2 back, or it's current equivalent of a latter years mid-life crisis on wheels.

I am in exactly the same posistion, will be getting a new car in September, new Ford Puma, but I would have my MX5 or a newer MX5 back at the drop of a hat.
Brilliant car.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I have owned 15 and I have no problem with anyone slagging off their rust problems in the 70's and 80's. Inferior cheap Russian steel and the Alfasud dissolved like soluble disprin in water. Such a shame as they were a fabulous car and there are very very few left now. Since then they have been very well built with minimal rust problems. My GTV is a 97 model that lives outside most of the time and is not babied. No rust and still on original shiny paintwork. 99% of people who have strong anti Alfa feelings have never actually owned one in my experience :smile:

How did you get on with yours? :wink:

I'm just about to start driving, I've been looking at either a Brera or Spider for my first car but I'm a bit put off by the horror stories about Alfa's. Are they really as unreliable as people make out? I don't fancy sinking a shed load of cash in to my first set of wheels.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I'm just about to start driving, I've been looking at either a Brera or Spider for my first car but I'm a bit put off by the horror stories about Alfa's. Are they really as unreliable as people make out? I don't fancy sinking a shed load of cash in to my first set of wheels.

Modern Alfas are roughly as reliable as any other car - i.e. really reliable.

Insurance, though? Have you got any quotes yet?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here