I know some wear under shirts currently
But when did short sleeves replace long
My Bukta stripes as a kid was long
But the cup final shirt was short sleeves
Then again I recall Alan Biley wearing long sleeves a few years later

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Probably a profit consideration £50 for a long sleeve shirt or £50 for a short sleeve shirt using 10% less material.

There was a time when players wore a mixture of long and sleeve shirts, but then all players wore the same.
The one I can't my head around is keepers in short sleeve shirts, it seems odd to me.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
The full transition would have been at the introduction of the Adidas kit. So, I think, 1980.

Obviously short sleeved shirt versions of kits had been around for long before that.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I think players prefer short sleeves because it makes it harder to pull them back. Players tend to wear a long undershirt now for the colder games.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It’s something that I’ve always wondered as the growing up all footy kits were long sleeved but it seems to have completely been phased out now!

Jul 7, 2003
The one I can't my head around is keepers in short sleeve shirts, it seems odd to me.

Probably because they play on cushioned bowling greens these days so don't need the padding that used to be needed

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I understand that in the past goal keepers had to wear long sleeves so that referees could clearly see who had handled a loose high ball in the penalty area. I assume it is now considered that referees have better eye sight.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
If my memory isn't playing tricks, long sleeves were fashionable in the late 1960s and it was very unusual for teams to wear short sleeves except at the very beginning of a season when the weather was hot. I remember we had short-sleeved shirts with blue collars at the beginning of the 1972-3 season but by autumn we had long-sleeved shirts with a round white collar.

Odd and obscure fact - at Arsenal it was part of the captain's matchday duties to decide whether the team would wear short or long sleeves.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
It’s something that I’ve always wondered as the growing up all footy kits were long sleeved but it seems to have completely been phased out now!

It's all because of climate change innit.
Most of the football season used to be chuffing freezing, icy and snowy pitches were common, weeks of cancelled games and pools panel results (Brighton v ******, away win, f**k off)
I don't think the undersoil heating has been switched on at The Amex yet.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
A long sleeve Bukta shirt is a thing of beauty

long sleeves is an extra £300 if you look on fleabay.

winter /summer

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
There has been a recent change on this too - ten years ago, you would see players wearing both short- and long-sleeves. This seems to have stopped with the arrival of base layers.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Shame they cannot produce both for sale, I cannot believe some players wouldn't prefer long sleeves. Undershirts Pah!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here