Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Holland vs Czech Republic, Belgium vs Portugal

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Two predictable games yesterday (though Austria vs Italy certainly wasnt as predictable as some of us may have predicted) followed by two, on paper, more intriguing games today.

The Dutch still have nightmares from 2004 when they went 2-0 up against Czech Republic within 20 minutes and had full control of the game until coach Dick Advocaat subbed Arjen Robben for midfield workhorse Paul Bosvelt allowing the Czechs to win the game 3-2 and making the Dutch people turn their backs on the Oranje. A national trauma (but less impactful perhaps) much like the three lost World Cup finals or going out on penalties in the Euros of 1992, 1996 and 2000 as well as in the 1998 and 2014 World Cups. Tragedy is always following the Oranje and this game could turn into more of a thriller than people might think.

Portugal vs Belgium is obviously a big game. The reigning champions, with their aging talisman and chronical anti-football mentality, against the Belgium side who despite 12 years of a "golden generation" still havent got really close to winning anything. Going to be very interesting. Looking at the teams, it should be a really fun game, but in reality I expect it to be a very tight game with few chances. Hope I'm wrong.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Belgium-Portugal is the tie of the round for me. Can't wait

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Did Van Ass-hole win a competition in order to get in the squad?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Dumfries is fast turning into player of the tournament for me.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Dutch are very ordinary, really lack a cutting edge. I think England would rinse them

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That's surely a red for deliberate hand ball and preventing a goal scoring opportunity?

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Never thought I would hear a more boring commentator than Glenn Hoddle, but Ally McCoist takes the biscuit.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Correct decision in the end. Red all day long.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patreon
Oct 17, 2008
I thought when it happened immediately "that's red" and was shocked he gave a yellow. Well done VAR.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here