Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Hotels on Rails

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Looks like the French are going to bring back night trains, with your own room, privacy and comfort along with a bar and restaurant as an alternative to short/medium flights at very competitive fares.
Many countries and cities included up to Edinburgh by 2024.
If it goes ahead it's a huge yes from me and not really because of the old carbon footprint.
Would you consider or use it to go on holiday?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Looks like the French are going to bring back night trains, with your own room, privacy and comfort along with a bar and restaurant as an alternative to short/medium flights at very competitive fares.
Many countries and cities included up to Edinburgh by 2024.
If it goes ahead it's a huge yes from me and not really because of the old carbon footprint.
Would you consider or use it to go on holiday?

Before the advent of cheap flights (and cos me dad worked for British Rail) we used to go all the way from Scotland to Alicante by train. Astoundingly super adventure for little kids who had previously never been any further than Millport for their holidays. The final France-Spain leg was on a sleeper train called the Mare Nostrum. Which at the time seemed impossibly exotic. Still remember it vividly to this day

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Private rooms are out there already. Some en-suite.
Edinburgh. Well, let’s see. There are huge safety restrictions for anything that goes through the tunnel. Maybe they’ll convert an old Eurostar.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
http://www.sleeper.scot/

6c38699eb0b14a89a85be895c0cde060.jpg

ff7c36c7db3fbc2d371b7aa609aabc52.jpg

1d86152f0b2d5a4051b057241ddf7823.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Private rooms are out there already. Some en-suite.
Edinburgh. Well, let’s see. There are huge safety restrictions for anything that goes through the tunnel. Maybe they’ll convert an old Eurostar.

It looks as if it is non stop from Paris to Edinburgh and London is not city on the list so still use the Caledonian sleeper.
Seems that you will have to get to Paris on Eurostar first.
Still like the idea though even as a one off.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Loved my travels on the sleeper from Euston to Fort William and can't wait to do it again when time/money allows.

Going through the tunnel shouldn't be much of an issue, it was planned to have sleeper services right from the beginning.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Loved my travels on the sleeper from Euston to Fort William and can't wait to do it again when time/money allows.

Going through the tunnel shouldn't be much of an issue, it was planned to have sleeper services right from the beginning.

The West Highland Railway is a thing of beauty.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
The best night's sleep I ever had in my life was on Night train in India.
I can't remember where I was going but i never forget the motion of the train and the sound of the train and the sound of the whistle in the distance as I was dropping off to sleep.
I slept like a log.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials

Those trains, The Nightstars, were specifically built for the tunnel. But the government pulled out. Cost millions back then. They were eventually sold to Canada. It would very much be an issue now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here