Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Sussex words for mud

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Reading a Jay Rayner review this morning, I was struck by his mentioning of Sussex's myriad words for mud.

"Just as the Inuit are reputed to have many words for snow, so the people of Sussex, both East and West, are said to have many words for mud. A lot of them have a pleasing onomatopoeic squelch. There is “gawm”, for the nastiest-smelling kind of mud and “stodge” for the thickest pudding-like type. There is “swank” for a muddy bog and “stug” for watery mud, and “gubber” for a trench of rotting matter." https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/jun/27/jay-rayner-restaurant-review-theres-an-awful-lot-to-like-about-the-sussex-in-london

Can't say I've heard any of these in relation to mud. Have you?

When thinking of other local words, Twitten was the first thing that popped into my head. What other truly local words do we have?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
He’s probably found a book with sayings used when Sussex was full of farmers, can’t say I’ve heard any other word for mud and I’ve lived in Sussex all my life. Ive got a few books on Sussex and one has many old sayings.

Last edited:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Stoolball

Stoolball-girls-own-Magazine-1891.jpg

I got a bit stuggy playing that too.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I think nause is a local word but of more recent origin. As in "He's such a ****ing nause" or "that ****'s been nausing me right up all day".

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Just had a read of the wiki page for Sussex dialect and it's quite fascinating. The farmer accent is perhaps best left in the past but we should bring some of the words back. Dumbledore for bumblebee and flittermouse for bat are both great. I also like boco for much (from the French beaucoup).

One that I hadn't realised was local is pug for mortar.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sussex_dialect

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
A Sussex word of mud, believe it or not is mud.

The one and only word I have ever used for mud, and one that everyone understands refers to mud.

Why on earth would there be a need for any more words to describe mud.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not heard of any of those. Mud is mud.

However, my dad (originally a Londoner) and granny (Hove, born and bred) had a range of expressions I've not heard elswhere. See if you can work out what the mean (most are threats of minor violence) and whether you have come across them:

"I'll give you a clip round the ear ole"

"You've giving my arse the ear ache"

"Don't come the old acid with me!"

"You don't know poop from clay"

"I'll give you a clip along side"

"Do you want a thick ear?"

Ah, the violent and threatening world of a childhood in Portslade in the 60s :lolol:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Absolute crap Dron Rayner. Mud is mud.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham

However, my dad (originally a Londoner) and granny (Hove, born and bred) had a range of expressions I've not heard elswhere. See if you can work out what the mean (most are threats of minor violence) and whether you have come across them:

"I'll give you a clip round the ear ole" Yes

"You've giving my arse the ear ache" Yes

"You don't know poop from clay" Yes

"Do you want a thick ear?" Yes

Ah, the violent and threatening world of a childhood in Portslade in the 60s :lolol:

My parents are originally from South London and there are plenty more I've picked up that I can't think of at the moment.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
My family always used Twitten instead of alleyway, as kids we were only allowed to go as far as the 2nd Twitten on our bikes. I didn't realise that was pretty exclusively a Sussex term.

I've heard cludge used for heavy mud and slurry in a farming term

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

"I'll give you a clip round the ear ole"

"You've giving my arse the ear ache"

"You don't know poop from clay"

"Do you want a thick ear?"

Clip round the ear and give you a thick ear were regular childhood threats from my father, as was "I will box your ears.". He clearly had a thing for ears. Family was originally from Eastbourne, his father spent time in Canada up until WW1 then lived in Letchworth and Bedford.

Oh and Trug I think is a Sussex word:

trug.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
He’s probably found a book with sayings used when Sussex was full of farmers, can’t say I’ve heard any other word for mud and I’ve lived in Sussex all my life. Ive got a few books on Sussex and one has many old sayings.

most likely. though i have used of stodge for thick mud and pug for mortar.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
My family always used Twitten instead of alleyway, as kids we were only allowed to go as far as the 2nd Twitten on our bikes. I didn't realise that was pretty exclusively a Sussex term.

I've heard cludge used for heavy mud and slurry in a farming term

We always used Twitten, it was mainly used for a path that was quite wide but not used by vehicles.
This was in Kent, but Tunbridge Wells so close enough to have travelled over the frontier.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
most likely. though i have used of stodge for thick mud and pug for mortar.

Pug for mortar along with twitten, kiddy and chipper seem to be the few that have remained in common usage, which is a shame. Yew berries is a terrible name compared to the Sussex term snottgogs. Are there any other sussex laines other than the North Laine?

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Twitter is a word I heard both here and when I lived in Leicester, seems it is not exactly local. The Midlands had a few expressions that were new to me when I went there. I have never heard those words for mud.
When I was a kid, people from rural Sussex had a definite country accent . I have not heard it for years.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Twitter is a word I heard both here and when I lived in Leicester, seems it is not exactly local. The Midlands had a few expressions that were new to me when I went there. I have never heard those words for mud.
When I was a kid, people from rural Sussex had a definite country accent . I have not heard it for years.

I bet Cornwall has a word for mud, they have a word for everything else it seems (campers are Grockles in their Grundy Bins) I will have a look.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here