Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Murray Goodwin.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Don't know how or why he signed for Sccc but what a rock solid player. Went to Derbyshire one day after work at lunch and Sx at the time where something like 85-4-3 :ohmy: but MG and RMJ both hit tons by tea and Sx went on to win. Like many on here i enjoy Cricket so why can't we just have solid down to earth pro's like RMJ and MG ? http://sussexcricketmuseum.org/murray-goodwin

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Loved Murray, golden age for Sussex. RMJ, Prior, Kirtley, Lewry, Montgomery opening, RIP Umar. Probably our best ever team.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Loved Murray, golden age for Sussex. RMJ, Prior, Kirtley, Lewry, Montgomery opening, RIP Umar. Probably our best ever team.

It probably was, but I'm not sure how you've managed to leave Mushtaq Ahmed out of that list.

why can't we just have solid down to earth pro's like RMJ and MG ? http://sussexcricketmuseum.org/murray-goodwin

I think describing Goodwin as a "solid down to earth pro" is doing him a massive disservice, he could have scored thousands of test runs averaging over 40. Which makes us all the luckier to have had him.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Full story please

Not much to tell, it was after getting one of the titles, I think it was the night 5 live did a broadcast from the pub. I lived nearby and had gone home plastered but popped out later to get more beer and there was a pair of legs poking out over a garden wall. I guess he'd tried to steady himself against the hedge and expertly found a gap. :)

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
It probably was, but I'm not sure how you've managed to leave Mushtaq Ahmed out of that list.

I think describing Goodwin as a "solid down to earth pro" is doing him a massive disservice, he could have scored thousands of test runs averaging over 40. Which makes us all the luckier to have had him.
Full agreement. We had him when Zimbabwe/South Africa couldn't. Remember the years years of so called 'big' name signings MG was not big name just very good.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Never see a better ton than the one he got against Surrey in the T 20

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
That innings in the last game of the 2008 pro40 was extraordinary.

130/8, way behind the run rate and chasing 226.

Marvellous scenes indeed.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
That innings in the last game of the 2008 pro40 was extraordinary.

130/8, way behind the run rate and chasing 226.

Marvellous scenes indeed.

Let’s not forget Mohammed Sami’s contribution, but Goodwin was class! That final ball SIX has to be the most important six in Sussex history!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Goodwin was a class Test batsman who didn't want to play Internationals for reasons I forget. We had him as an overseas player first but I think by the end he was classed as a home player given his years with us.

He and Mushtaq (with a little help from the rest) made us world beaters at the time.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Yardy, Prior, Hopkinson as well…. I think Wright was around. Mushy was the main man. I recall me planning my work so I got to Hove day 1 or 2 before the match was over! Great days.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Goodwin was a class Test batsman who didn't want to play Internationals for reasons I forget. We had him as an overseas player first but I think by the end he was classed as a home player given his years with us.

He and Mushtaq (with a little help from the rest) made us world beaters at the time.

According to his cricinfo profile, the immediate reason for him not playing as many internationals as his talent would have allowed was his (Australian) wife not being able to settle in Zimbabwe.

I enjoyed this interview with him from 2014, particularly the answer to the last question:
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...ld-have-a-super-power-i-d-be-invisible-686829

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Don't know how or why he signed for Sccc but what a rock solid player. Went to Derbyshire one day after work at lunch and Sx at the time where something like 85-4-3 :ohmy: but MG and RMJ both hit tons by tea and Sx went on to win. Like many on here i enjoy Cricket so why can't we just have solid down to earth pro's like RMJ and MG ? http://sussexcricketmuseum.org/murray-goodwin

County no longer interested 4 day game. Players now selected for sussex that have never got many runs or wickets in a club game let alone Sussex 2nd team

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Probably our best ever team.

Much as I loved that team - and will always treasure that first CC win - I doubt if it's as good as the team that finished runners-up three years in a row - mainly to a phenomenally strong Yorkshire one

That Sussex team of two Langridges, two Parks, Duleep, Bowley, Cook and Tate was a mighty collection of players, not sure that will be beaten.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here