Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Miami building collapse

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Stone me. What a terrible event.

159 people unaccounted for.

Its the sort of thing you'd expect 'third world' build quality if elsewhere but in the US, a different matter.

I can only hope those involved never felt a thing. I'm really stunned by this.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
It was undergoing repairs for structural recertification as it was over 40 years old. It looks as if there was significant concrete spalling which had exposed rebar to damage by salt and this resulted in catastrophic failure. A shocking tragedy. There will no doubt be endless discussions about blame and if it could have been avoided. Sometimes shit just happens

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Stone me. What a terrible event.

159 people unaccounted for.

Its the sort of thing you'd expect 'third world' build quality if elsewhere but in the US, a different matter.

I can only hope those involved never felt a thing. I'm really stunned by this.

It's their version of Grenfell, absolute tragedy.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
It was undergoing repairs for structural recertification as it was over 40 years old. It looks as if there was significant concrete spalling which had exposed rebar to damage by salt and this resulted in catastrophic failure. A shocking tragedy. There will no doubt be endless discussions about blame and if it could have been avoided. Sometimes shit just happens
Concrete failing like that after 40 years isn't shit just happening. Like Grenfell there will be reasons, reasons tied up in greed and corruption no doubt.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Now I have looked up spalling and rebar and remediation being made to the building, I doubt shit happened. Sounds more like shit waiting to happen and residents should have been moved out while work was completed to make the building safe. Suspect a legal battlefield already being drawn.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its a truly horrifying event, I can't imagine a worse way to die than being trapped under rubble for hours with a shattered body. The hell the families are going through must be unbearable.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington

If there's enough spalling and corrosion to have caused collapse, that's not shit happening, it's a colossal failure on the part of whichever organisation was responsible for the building. The deterioration should have been picked up much earlier, or failing that should have resulted in the building being evacuated for emergency repairs.

There may also be underlying issues around the design and/or construction, if the concrete cover provided to prevent the reinforcement from rusting was inadequate. The designer may have not specified an adequate thickness of concrete, or the builders might have just mucked it up during construction. Either way, that simply shouldn't happen on a significant structure.

The aloof gatekeeper

Oct 11, 2011
See, I'm not so sure it was an accident. Because I've been reading the Twitter, and a lot of people on there are saying it was a controlled demolition.

Or direct energy weapons.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Absolutely. Concrete gets harder each year not softer
And cladding gets more flammable?

40 year old concrete buildings don't collapse unless there is impact/explosion or substandard construction initially.

Similar issues to the bridge collapse in Italy.

It is not just "shit happens".

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Absolutely. Concrete gets harder each year not softer

Past the first few months the strengthening effect levels off substantially, to be pretty much ignorable.

There's all sorts of chemical reactions or problems with the reinforcement that can cause the concrete to crumble, soften or break off entirely, which is why it's important that the right concrete is specified and the thickness to the rebar is correct at the design/construction phase. Even then, particularly if the building's near the sea (I assume this one is if it's in Miami) it needs to be inspected regularly.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Past the first few months the strengthening effect levels off substantially, to be pretty much ignorable.

There's all sorts of chemical reactions or problems with the reinforcement that can cause the concrete to crumble, soften or break off entirely, which is why it's important that the right concrete is specified and the thickness to the rebar is correct at the design/construction phase. Even then, particularly if the building's near the sea (I assume this one is if it's in Miami) it needs to be inspected regularly.

I think it was a beachfront block, so 'prime'.

No good news about survivors so far. A sickening event.

If that had been a controlled demolition, the contractors would have said it went perfectly. I think that's why I find it so shocking.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
See, I'm not so sure it was an accident. Because I've been reading the Twitter, and a lot of people on there are saying it was a controlled demolition.

:ffsparr: suggest you stay off twitter if you believe such guff.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I accept that my original comment is incorrect in the light of the information which is now coming to light and that shit didn't just happen in this instance. It now appears that a report had been issued in 2018 in which a consultant had advised the buildings owner that major structural damage had been discovered including cracking and crumbling of columns, beams and walls. It included photos of the cracking and spalling of the concrete and exposed reinforcement.

A lawyer said they were just about to get started on repairs adding that the process would have been handled much differently if owners had had any indication that the corrosion and crumbling were a serious threat.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/26/us/miami-building-collapse-investigation.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

Last edited:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Of course their lawyers are going to say that. The fact it's taken them 3 years to do feck all actual work whilst raking in the rents has nothing to do with it.

Hope they get sued to shit. Deserve it imo. Negligence of the highest order.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012

A lot of people on Twitter claim 9/11 was an inside job, the moon landing was fake, the Earth is flat and Hitler is still alive. I'm not sure you should use Twitter as a source of legitimate information.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It is not just "shit happens.

Well I'd suggest that it kinda is in a way.

As tragic as this was, and as much as you try to safeguard against it happening again in the future, there will always be situations somewhere in the world, of buildings being erected using substandard materials, or safeth being compromised by excessive cost cutting. Pass as many laws as you like.

Sad but inevitable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here