Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Compromised Passwords

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Had this a couple of times recently - are others getting it as well?

Capture.JPG

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No.

But have just been advised I need to change my virgin hub password to at least something that is 12 characters long.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
No.

But have just been advised I need to change my virgin hub password to at least something that is 12 characters long.

I had that. It's a real pain having to type: 'jamesbondgoldfingerpussygaloreblofeldoddjobmoneypennyMQjaws006elektravesper' every time.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
No.

Got the same but they only recommended 8 characters. Chose snowwhiteandthesevendwarves.

...locked me out after three attempts, FFS. :shrug:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Nope.

Means your password is out there though in some stolen database. Dont think hackers and scammers etc are going to use it on your NSC account but if you have more important accounts with the same password you should definitely change them.

'more important' than NSC?!?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Can't recommend signing up to this enough: https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Troy Hunt, cyber security superstar, set this up. You can pop your email address in and it'll let you know if your data has been involved in a breach and what type of data was stolen. You can then sign up for an email list that'll let you know automatically.

It's a pain in the backside getting those emails because it means you've been pwned, as it were, and you're then looking at a bit of time changing all your passwords. Worth it though.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I guarantee that at least one member of NSC uses either Summer21/2021 or Sussex21/2021 for a password for an account.

When I password spray, I always use Summer, Winter, Autumn, or Spring with 20, 21, 2020, 2021 at the end. I have own then Domain with Summer2019 as a password.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Can't recommend signing up to this enough: https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Troy Hunt, cyber security superstar, set this up. You can pop your email address in and it'll let you know if your data has been involved in a breach and what type of data was stolen. You can then sign up for an email list that'll let you know automatically.

It's a pain in the backside getting those emails because it means you've been pwned, as it were, and you're then looking at a bit of time changing all your passwords. Worth it though.

Excellent advice. But to add to it: use a password manager. There's some good ones out there. If you're unwilling to pay, there are free options. The one built into Chrome is getting better all the time. It's not the best option out there, but it is better than nothing. Just make sure that the password you use for your password manager is something with very high strength and that you have never, ever, used anywhere else. In theory it's the only password you should actually need to have committed to memory (which is a bonus - make it long, make it complex, make it memorable for yourself). The downside is that it becomes a single point of entry into everything - but if you've protected yourself by having a strong password for the password manager (and when available use 2-factor auth) then that risk is easily minimised.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Thanks all. Busy changing passwords via the chrome password-checker - didn't know it existed.

Thought the denigration of Potter was a bit unfair on the NSC questions for a new password - is his name now blocked and replaced with asterisks!

Capture.JPG

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Excellent advice. But to add to it: use a password manager. There's some good ones out there. If you're unwilling to pay, there are free options. The one built into Chrome is getting better all the time. It's not the best option out there, but it is better than nothing. Just make sure that the password you use for your password manager is something with very high strength and that you have never, ever, used anywhere else. In theory it's the only password you should actually need to have committed to memory (which is a bonus - make it long, make it complex, make it memorable for yourself). The downside is that it becomes a single point of entry into everything - but if you've protected yourself by having a strong password for the password manager (and when available use 2-factor auth) then that risk is easily minimised.

Yep, agree with all that.

I use LastPass but am thinking of changing because their free offering is no longer multi device. Have to upgrade to the 'Pro' version. Which is a bit shit because the 'Pro' version is what I'd been happily using for years.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I guarantee that at least one member of NSC uses either Summer21/2021 or Sussex21/2021 for a password for an account.

When I password spray, I always use Summer, Winter, Autumn, or Spring with 20, 21, 2020, 2021 at the end. I have own then Domain with Summer2019 as a password.

I use the registration numbers of cars my Dad owned.
Nobody knows them.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I get that on one website. It's a financial one where username, password, date of birth etc are put in over multiple screens in hidden text fields. I don't see how my username and password are being linked by this alert system but even when I choose the random Google generated passwords I still get it so I think it's flagging my DOB link to my username somehow rather than password.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here