Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Nat Philips

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Please take him Burnley, he's yours.

Ostigard looks very promising, purely from what I’ve read and seen from Cov fans I’d be happy to see him step up. Clarke has been their player of the season if I recall? And Van Ecke and Dedoncker are both highly rated.

Obviously this is where GP and his coaching staff come in. They’ll make the call as to who we’d promote next.

Moises I think will play. Given we played Connolly, Alzate, Sanchez and Lamptey we clearly have no issues playing a young player if we believe in them.

Who is this Van Ecke you keep mentioning - is he the brother of Gawd Strewth ? PS It is Hecke by the way.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Normally i agree with most of your posts but unless they are given a chance how will we know if Clarke and Ostigard are EPL ready?

Even if White goes we have Veltman,Dunk and Webster in a back 3 with Burn as cover.Where will Philips fit in? Clarke and Ostigard can get starts in the cup games and hopefully kick on.

Caicedo is an international and was brought half -thee-way round the world.Pointless not blooding him

As for Clarke / Ostigard - how did we know Webster/White/Burn were ready ? They'd never played in the EPL.
the club will know already that they are developing either to be sold , loaned again or finally in/around the first team squad. My sense is probably not squad ready at the mo - these punts on players don't always work out and/or players develop at different paces. Bissouma struggled until the last 18 months, Sanchez went from Rochdale to the first team in 6 months. Lamptey at 19 became a first team regular after a couple of months. Dan Burn is now finally a regular premier league utility player at 29.
Of course Caicedo was signed for the first team at some point but it might not be this season...depends on the squad strength/ his development etc. He's only 19.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Also let's not forget BW didn't exactly stroll his way into right centre back spot.

Being shuffled around the defence and midfield before finally landing into his position.

GPott might see one of these younger lads doing much the same until a space opens up at the back.
Granted that'll be harder to repeat if Biss isn't along side but could also suggest Nat (Dunk #II) isn't the man for us.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
As for Clarke / Ostigard - how did we know Webster/White/Burn were ready ? They'd never played in the EPL.
the club will know already that they are developing either to be sold , loaned again or finally in/around the first team squad. My sense is probably not squad ready at the mo - these punts on players don't always work out and/or players develop at different paces. Bissouma struggled until the last 18 months, Sanchez went from Rochdale to the first team in 6 months. Lamptey at 19 became a first team regular after a couple of months. Dan Burn is now finally a regular premier league utility player at 29.
Of course Caicedo was signed for the first team at some point but it might not be this season...depends on the squad strength/ his development etc. He's only 19.

I agree it is not an exact science but we do not need Philips.The money should be spent elsewhere
Caicedo may only be 19 but is an international.Who are we going to loan him to?I think he will play a part for us next season

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I agree it is not an exact science but we do not need Philips.The money should be spent elsewhere
Caicedo may only be 19 but is an international.Who are we going to loan him to?I think he will play a part for us next season

Yep. Agreed. Club have already said they're not interested in Philips and i'm expecting Caicedo to be introduced into the first team - gradually alongside Lallana, Moder etc - but part of the squad next season. He's looked pretty impressive in the Copa America.

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020
Yes. All really promising players but not seeing the transition to the first team as smoothly as Ben White - i'm guessing some of those will never play for us. But yep the succession planning, loan model, strong academy, selling young players to the top 6 etc is alongside bringing in players / and spending to do so. These might be taking a punt (on wages) on a Veltman, Lallana or a Welbeck at tail end of career where there is risk in age, injury or adapting to EPL or buying a Moder, Lamptey, Webster at beginning of career, perhaps already an international but certainly not a proven EPL player - but it will still cost millions. But sometimes there's a gap in development - Caicedo might need a year out on loan, Lamptey gets injured, Connolly has a challenging season. In that case - The model still involves some intervention / spending millions on players - some of whom will be more advanced than others and designed to be very close to the first team from the off.

Bang on the money. As excited as we all our about the conveyer belt of young talent coming through, there will always be the need to strike a careful balance in terms of promoting youth vs bringing in more “ready made” recruits to cover any outgoings.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Yep. Agreed. Club have already said they're not interested in Philips and i'm expecting Caicedo to be introduced into the first team - gradually alongside Lallana, Moder etc - but part of the squad next season. He's looked pretty impressive in the Copa America.

We agree!

I think Caicedo will add another dimension to our play.As you say gradually eased in.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Strange - people (well, some) are questioning whether the likes of Ostigard, Clarke, Caicedo, etc. will be ready for first team football next season ("they've never played on the PL, blah, blah") but everyone seems to automatically or going out on loan, but assume that Moder is right there, PL ready, already - and after all, he's only had a handful of games.

(I'm not saying he's not ready, by the way, it's just that people seem seem to be following the Hughton philosophy on young players for everyone except Moder).

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
'Fancy coming down to Brighton?'.
'Well I'm interested, who'll be my rivals for a starting place?'

'Dunk
Webster.
White.
Burn.
Veltman.
Clarke.
Fella at Coventry.
Oh the guy in Dutchland.
We've another 2 centre backs on loan.
Half a dozen in the academy'.

'ok, I think I'll give Burnley a ring, thanks'.

This bloody club needs to start visiting Centre Backs Anonymous.

'im Brighton and Hove Albion - and I have a problem'.

You've got to think big picture; no-one can defend if we've bought all the defenders.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Strange - people (well, some) are questioning whether the likes of Ostigard, Clarke, Caicedo, etc. will be ready for first team football next season ("they've never played on the PL, blah, blah") but everyone seems to automatically or going out on loan, but assume that Moder is right there, PL ready, already - and after all, he's only had a handful of games.

(I'm not saying he's not ready, by the way, it's just that people seem seem to be following the Hughton philosophy on young players for everyone except Moder).

Not every player on loan is going to be a Moder or a White or a Sanchez. Have the ability to go straight into the Premier League with ease. And some players bought with the first team in mind and loaned out to develop will unfortunately never reach that level . Its always a punt.

However they've performed in the Champ or L1 they might not improve the squad at that time - and/or might not be ready because of their age/development. White was 22 when he made his league debut for us after seasons of hard graft in the football league. but Lamptey when straight in there at 19.

I'm sceptical that Clarke or Ostigard etc are going to be first team regulars next season but then i had no idea about Sanchez, Alzate or Lamptey becoming regulars - Potter will no doubt surprise us.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
That's the ideal plan and when you loan out a player like White who has an outstanding season with Leeds (and previously in L1 and L2) and want to replace or have a different player to a regular (eg: Duffy) then things work perfectly.
But are Clarke, Ostigard etc ready to play in the EPL ?
We bought Veltman last summer and Webster and Lamptey the season before to strengthen the defence - yet still loaned out dozens of players.
Caicedo looks a great prospect but is he ready at 19 to play a full season in the team. ?
White hadn't played a season in the Premiership
Bellingham hasn't done to bad as a 17 year old in the Bundesliga either.
If your good enough your old enough

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
White hadn't played a season in the Premiership
Bellingham hasn't done to bad as a 17 year old in the Bundesliga either.
If your good enough your old enough

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Plus, and you'll have to forgive the phrase, Ostigard and Van Hecke have both been groomed to now join the EPL squad.
Having spent a season in the Championship and Eridivise (sp).

I'm showing my prejudice here as I never.understood the Clarke transfer.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
That's the ideal plan and when you loan out a player like White who has an outstanding season with Leeds (and previously in L1 and L2) and want to replace or have a different player to a regular (eg: Duffy) then things work perfectly.
But are Clarke, Ostigard etc ready to play in the EPL ?
We bought Veltman last summer and Webster and Lamptey the season before to strengthen the defence - yet still loaned out dozens of players.
Caicedo looks a great prospect but is he ready at 19 to play a full season in the team. ?

Was Ben White at Leeds? That must have passed me by. It’s probably why he’s so good because Bielsa is a cracking coach! Probably made him what he is.:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here