Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Tour de France 2021

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Its that time of year again!

Its 30 years now :eek: since Miguel Indurain took the first of his five wins in la Grande Boucle, but will we see the start of another era of domination by Tadej Pogacar? Or will this be one of the most open races for years as many are saying?

Roglic will want to make up for last years collapse, Geraint Thomas is back to some decent form, Carapaz is coming off an excellent win in Switzerland, Rigo Uran has shown he is in very good form the last few weeks...it really could be anyone's race - especially with two individual time trials added to the mix this year.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jun/21/tour-de-france-2021-stage-by-stage-guide

Will Cav add to his tally of 30 stage wins after a late call up? Will MVDP be a constant threat to attack in the first week? Will Froome even finish the race this year?! Itll be a very interesting 3 weeks for sure.

By the looks of it, its not as mountainous as previous editions - but 5 days in the Pyrenees in the final week (including a stage finish in a fellow NSC's "home town" of Quillan) should really sort out the men from the boys.

Whos your money on for the Yellow, Green, Polka dot, and White?!

Vive le Tour!

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
What's this years drug of choice?

I love the TdF but its little more than an advanced chemistry demonstration these days.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I’ve been binge-watching GCN on YouTube of late. if you can cope with the plummy presenters there’s some good TDF content.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I’ve been binge-watching GCN on YouTube of late. if you can cope with the plummy presenters there’s some good TDF content

Manon..... :love:

In all seriousness though, I have the GCN+ app and it has some very good content on it. Even better that you get a ton of racing coverage, which is great for watching live in the office during the day :thumbsup:

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I would love to see Cav break the record for most stage wins, but it will be very hard. His illness a couple of years ago possibly ruined his best chance of that

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I would love to see Cav break the record for most stage wins, but it will be very hard. His illness a couple of years ago possibly ruined his best chance of that

I totally agree - but I do think hes in with a shout of winning a stage this year. His form has improved massively, & could easily pip the others for at least one I reckon.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Hope it is an open one this year as I'm on Jack Haig of Bahrain Victorious at 66/1 (e/w).

A blind team loyalty bet as I'm a Mikel Landa fanboy. Hopefully he can provide a bit more interest than my Landa flutter at the Giro

Love the grand tours

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Goosebumps, the original C4 music.

My first proper TDF memories are the Sherwen/Liggett years covering the Hinault finale/Delgado/Roche/Fignon/Kelly/LeMond.

Before that, vague memories of Merckx.

I still love the whole thing including the stunning French countryside.

Roglic and Pogacar have ushered in an exciting new era.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm an unashamed three-week-a-year pro cycling fan.

As such I have no bloody idea who is looking well-placed to win this year, but I bloody love every aspect of the TdF and will be glued to it throughout, much to the annoyance of both my family and my dog, who will find his walk routine adjusted until its over!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

As such I have no bloody idea who is looking well-placed to win this year, but I bloody love every aspect of the TdF and will be glued to it throughout, much to the annoyance of both my family and my dog, who will find his walk routine adjusted until its over!

Moi aussi

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Post #3.

An excellent start, I'll Eden a guess the poster is really enjoying the PED free Euros, :wink: as let's face it no drug can make you kick a ball straight. :yawn: :rolleyes:

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Also always hooked on the Grand Tours.

However, perusing my Official Race Guide I note the first Cat 1 climb is not till Stage 8, so whole of first week- breakaways/sprints/time trial, with only real mountain stages being 8, 9, 11 (Ventoux twice!), 15, 17, 18. Normally feels like there are more than 6 of 21 mountain stages?

Is this to assist Alaphilippe to get then stay in yellow as long as poss?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Same here. I ruddy love Le Tour but it's the only event I follow. I've tried watching the other grand tours but for whatever reason they just don't get me hooked in the same way TdF does. It will take 3 or 4 days to be reminded of the usual suspects in contention for each category, then I'll be hooked again.

I would love to see Cav grabbing a couple of stage wins. I started watching TdF in 2011, just when he was getting into his stride.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean

Ritchie Porte @ dirty knees e/w for me...

My usual loss of £2 on Sonny Colbrelli in the sprint stages looks sure to continue, though he won a stage at the Dolphin and took the green jersey so hope springs eternal

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here