Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Transgender woman selected for NZ Olympic team

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I hope this conversation can stay sensible without ending up in the Bear Pit, but as its sport related I think its a relevant conversation here.

------------------------------------------------
New Zealand's Laurel Hubbard has become the first ever transgender athlete picked to compete at an Olympics, in a controversial decision.

Officials have selected her for the women's weightlifting team for Tokyo 2020, after qualifying requirements were recently modified.

She had competed in men's events before coming out as transgender in 2013.

Critics say Hubbard has an unfair advantage, but others have argued for more inclusion at the Games.

She will compete in the women's 87-kg weightlifting category.

The 43-year-old became eligible to compete at the Olympics when the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in 2015 changed its rules allowing transgender athletes to compete as a woman if their testosterone levels are below a certain threshold.

-------------------------
I don't have any strong feeling on transgender rights in most areas as the majority of issues don't really impact me. I understand why some non-trans Women do not want to share changing rooms etc.. with transitioning females

Sport is an area however where I do feel that this isn't fair, someone who was born Male and transitioned to Female no doubt has a physical advantage over non-trans athletes. In the above instance Hubbard has competed as a male and I am therefore uncomfortable that she can take a place from a non-trans female in the squad and could win a medal too over a non-trans athlete. I appreciate she meets the criteria to compete, but I would have thought her original biology will give her an advantage here. I wouldn't anticipate many 43 year old females being able to compete at that level under usual circumstances.

NZ are only sending one athlete in this category and the person who missed out for her will probably never get the chance to compete at an Olympics.

By the same token I wouldn't want to see a transgender male competing in some physical/contact sports against non-trans males, as for many the biology would give them a big disadvantage, and could be potentially dangerous.

I'm not sure what the answer is here, providing a trans-gender specific competition in the same way as a Paralympics would strike me as demeaning to trans athletes, but I don't see how we can get fair competition in the current set-up

I do think we have to be careful not to overlook the rights on non-trans people when trying to promote the rights of transgender people, it can't all be a one-way street.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I assume they have mitigated against the effects* of testosterone. If not this is unfair. Do we know the facts here?

*I mean a lifetime of endogenous testosterone increasing bone length and weight, muscle mass and function, and aggression. Most of these effects are long lasting and some are permanent. Even if (I haven't checked the appropriate pronoun) has had the testes removed and been given estrogen treatment the skeleton will remain different and the muscle cells more numerous). If I were a biologically female woman athlete, even if I were in the high normal range of testosterone for a woman, I suspect I would feel unfairly disadvantaged.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There is no doubt it offers an unfair advantage in a number of sports. This isn't about rights, it is about competitive realities.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Unfair. All for trans etc and people doing what they want but you sacrifice the right to compete in something like this as she will be naturally stronger than her fellow athletes. Simple as that tbh and nobody can really argue that - but sure they will on here :lol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Unfair. All for trans etc and people doing what they want but you sacrifice the right to compete in something like this as she will be naturally stronger than her fellow athletes. Simple as that tbh and nobody can really argue that - but sure they will on here :lol:

Not yet. We all seem to be in agreement :wink:

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I hope this conversation can stay sensible without ending up in the Bear Pit, but as its sport related I think its a relevant conversation here.

------------------------------------------------
New Zealand's Laurel Hubbard has become the first ever transgender athlete picked to compete at an Olympics, in a controversial decision.

Officials have selected her for the women's weightlifting team for Tokyo 2020, after qualifying requirements were recently modified.

She had competed in men's events before coming out as transgender in 2013.

Critics say Hubbard has an unfair advantage, but others have argued for more inclusion at the Games.

She will compete in the women's 87-kg weightlifting category.

The 43-year-old became eligible to compete at the Olympics when the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in 2015 changed its rules allowing transgender athletes to compete as a woman if their testosterone levels are below a certain threshold.

-------------------------
I don't have any strong feeling on transgender rights in most areas as the majority of issues don't really impact me. I understand why some non-trans Women do not want to share changing rooms etc.. with transitioning females

Sport is an area however where I do feel that this isn't fair, someone who was born Male and transitioned to Female no doubt has a physical advantage over non-trans athletes. In the above instance Hubbard has competed as a male and I am therefore uncomfortable that she can take a place from a non-trans female in the squad and could win a medal too over a non-trans athlete. I appreciate she meets the criteria to compete, but I would have thought her original biology will give her an advantage here. I wouldn't anticipate many 43 year old females being able to compete at that level under usual circumstances.

NZ are only sending one athlete in this category and the person who missed out for her will probably never get the chance to compete at an Olympics.

By the same token I wouldn't want to see a transgender male competing in some physical/contact sports against non-trans males, as for many the biology would give them a big disadvantage, and could be potentially dangerous.

I'm not sure what the answer is here, providing a trans-gender specific competition in the same way as a Paralympics would strike me as demeaning to trans athletes, but I don't see how we can get fair competition in the current set-up

I do think we have to be careful not to overlook the rights on non-trans people when trying to promote the rights of transgender people, it can't all be a one-way street.

Very refreshing to see this issue presented in a balanced and nuanced way. Usually, this debate (as most things are these days) is just people on both sides with deeply entrenched views screaming hysterically at each other

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Very unfair. Hubbard still has a penis and testes, therefore, despite taking hormones to reduce testosterone, will still be at an unfair advantage over women in strength related sports.
Maybe there should be a separate competition as there is in the Paralympics.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If other countries follow suit then in 50 years time every women's athletics world record could be held by woman born a man.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Perhaps sporting bodies should give consideration to an extra gender category?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
about 15-20 years older than champions usually are, so thats something counting against.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If other countries follow suit then in 50 years time every women's athletics world record could be held by woman born a man.

Which would also presumably lower the quality? As an average male athlete who identifies as a female would beat elite females in many events.

So sorry, but no, it's unfair and you'll have to miss out on being an elite athlete. It might be harsh on the Trans people to say it, but sport is a harsh world. It's harsh that I can't be an elite athlete too, but I've got over it.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I don’t think transgender people should be allowed to compete in elite competitions , all the time there are male & females categories. Obviously if the person was born a man that would give them an unfair physical strength advantage over most women . Born a woman competing against men is going to be very difficult. Just ban both . That’s not about being uncaring , it’s just not fair for the other competitors.

Not everything in life is fair , you can’t please everyone all the time .

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I’ve questioned it over and over again as I see trans activists calling anti-trans those who think it’s unfair on non-trans women. But it is unfair, no matter how you dress it up.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
100% agreement on this thread :shrug:

Who was it who predicted ludicrous nonsense from 'the usual suspects'? ???

Nothing to see here (apart from a big hairy pair of bollocks, apparently).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here