Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Will our boy get a start tonight?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’d like to think so but am not confident

If he does I really hope he’s not going to be played as out of position as Trossard was last night

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'd like to have thought so, as its effectively a dead rubber. But the reality is that Slabhead desperately needs gametime before he gets chucked in at the deep end against a Germany/Portugal/France, so he's a nailed-on starter.

Ben might get a few minutes off the bench.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
No but he's got a good chance of being on the bench and might get some game time if Maguire pulls up and they don't want to risk Mings

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Its up to Gareth if he wants to continue seeing abysmal build-up play or if he wants his striker to be involved in the game. Guessing he'll go for the former.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
With Mount out he should get on the bench as he could give defensive midfield cover. Southgate will be starting with at least two of them as he goes in search of the draw he wants in order to finish second. This being his plan was made obvious by his comments talking down the advantage of staying at Wembley. The longer he delays playing one of the big boys the safer his own career position is.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Well I hope they make a quick decision as its a key factor in whether i watch it or not. I have other things to do like polish the top of my head ( that's not a euphemism either)

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I'm expecting to see three at the back tonight. Stones, Maguire, Mings. With Walker and Shaw as wing backs, Bellingham and Henderson in the midfield and then a front three of Sancho, Grealish and Kane. On paper, it's very exciting. But in reality, it's probably hideously boring.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
I'd like to think White will start , the negative way James and Shaw played was criminal v Scotland , how on earth can we ever win a major tournament with tactics like that against (sorry) teams like Scotland .

White will add something different and he's a natural ball carrier out of defense , we literally had no defenders willing to run with the ball v Scotland , this is the perfect opportunity for Southgate to see how White would do in a competitive match .

If Southgate has any sense he will start White , Grealish , Rashford , and drop Sterling , James , Shaw .

No doubt Southgate will go back to type , recall Maguire drop Mings , radical stuff Gareth .

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Can't see it. Was 4th choice CB before Maguire came back into contention, probably now 5th in line. Suspect he'll be back on the bench at least.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Maguire is playing tonight, White will probably make the bench.

No but he's got a good chance of being on the bench and might get some game time if Maguire pulls up and they don't want to risk Mings

I thought that the whole squad [bar the starting XI] were on the bench ready to come on [if Gaffer asks]?
Did I misread this somewhere?

Edit: Just looked back at earlier games, squad is 26, 11 to start and 12 on the bench, so 3 players left back at the hotel / in the stands.
And Vs Scotland BW was one of them :-(

Last edited:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
No.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I thought that the whole squad [bar the starting XI] were on the bench ready to come on [if Gaffer asks]?
Did I misread this somewhere?

Yes, you misread.

26 player squads. 23 players for each match. So each game, three players miss out.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here