Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Stamping on feet

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I remember Steve Foster stamping on Paul Walsh's ankle when we played Portsmouth, put him out of the game 9 minutes in.

We won.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
It looked to me like two players going for the same ball put their feet on the same bit of turf and one of them got there late. when it is called a stamp, it means that the player is accused of deliberately choosing to slam his foot down on the other man's foot. It looked to me like, as so often happens, two players challenging for one ball got in each other's way.

As for why it is happening so much more often nowadays - it's the same reason as why injuries in general are so much more common than they used to be. You go back to any previous generation and count the injuries, count the numbers of players lying around screaming in pain, count the number of players who cannot stand up even when their team is defending and needs men back. It is far more common than it used to be. Is it because football is a much harder, dirtier game now than it has ever been? I doubt it.

The reason there are so many more incidents of players standing on each others' feet nowadays, is because the player stepped on believes that he has a chance of getting the other man sent off if he weeps and wails. No other reason. Players have always stepped on each others' feet - it's inevitable.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
If you'd stamped on someone when we were kids playing you'd have been sent home and banned from playing. It just wasn't a thing in proper football. . . . Neither was diving or cheating.

Straight red every time.

Hugging and shirt pulling should be a yellow minimum as well.

And then it would soon stop👍

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Deliberate in your case maybe, but l certainly don't think that Ampadu set out to deliberately injure their player. That said in the current interpretation of the rules, then he did deserve to go.

There is a difference between deliberately attempting to injure a player and deliberately stamping on the foot. Ampadu definitely did the latter. We can never know how much, if any injury he intended.

There are some 'old school' pundits who make out that no foul is ever deliberate. My explanation is they don't understand the meaning of the word.

Finally if a player deliberately stamps on a player's foot I don't care if he intended only to momentarily inconvenience the player without causing any injury, or not. I doesn't have to be a full Keane/Haaland to be a red card.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
There is a difference between deliberately attempting to injure a player and deliberately stamping on the foot. Ampadu definitely did the latter. We can never know how much, if any injury he intended.

There are some 'old school' pundits who make out that no foul is ever deliberate. My explanation is they don't understand the meaning of the word.

Finally if a player deliberately stamps on a player's foot I don't care if he intended only to momentarily inconvenience the player without causing any injury, or not. I doesn't have to be a full Keane/Haaland to be a red card.

nah

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Yeah.

yes.PNG

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Somewhere around 0.10 seconds earlier the ball was were Ampadus foot ended up. You can even see the ball leaving Bernardeschis foot and Ampadus incoming foot in the same frame.

ampadu.jpg

Its a poor tackle (and a red or at least dark orange card), a poor attempt to get the ball but in no way a deliberate attempt to stomp his feet. I'm sure Ampadu wishes he got the quality and football intelligence to predict Bernardeschis decision to make a pass with the outside of his foot in that moment, so that he could either take the ball or the player, but he had no idea what he was doing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Somewhere around 0.10 seconds earlier the ball was were Ampadus foot ended up. You can even see the ball leaving Bernardeschis foot and Ampadus incoming foot in the same frame.

View attachment 137866

Its a poor tackle, a poor attempt to get the ball but in no way a deliberate attempt to stomp his feet. I'm sure Ampadu wishes he got the quality and football intelligence to predict Bernardeschis decision to make a pass with the outside of his foot in that moment, so that he could either take the ball or the player, but he had no idea what he was doing.

Still stamped on his ankle/foot though and that is a sending off offence. FACT

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Still stamped on his ankle/foot though and that is a sending off offence. FACT

is the only think that mattered.

As I said we can ponder whether it was intended to injure or not (or not). That is irrelevant (and a tedious mantra from old skool pundits, or former team mates). It has happened so many times in the last 18 months it is clearly a 'thing', i.e., a learned tactic.

The only time I received one of these was in 1985. By then I'd played thousands of hours of football. The bloke who did it was standing next to me and just trod on my foot then apologised. I was playing for a uni team and we were playing 'scottish veterans' (blokes mostly over 40). It is pure snidery, as noted, mpre painful than shirt pulling and less painful than testicle squeezing (the latter now gone from the game as it would get a 'nonce tag' as well as a red card).

I'd be interested to know, from thise who play amateur football, how many times a game this happens now (albeit when I say 'now' there hasn't been much fotball for 18 months which is roughly when this became a 'thing' as far as I recall (by 'thing' I mean at least one stamping per game)) versus maybe 5 years ago.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
You can't accidentally stamp your feet. If it was a stamp, it was deliberate; if it wasn't deliberate, it wasn't a stamp. There's no doubt he trod on his feet, but did it have the extra force and intent that made it a stamp?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, no doubt. But its not deliberate.

So you keep saying. I know enough about probabilities to be able to deduce that it is unquestionably deliberate (because it almost never happened 15, 20, 30 years ago).

We have an expression here, that was once a common chant at Albion games: 'Get into 'em, **** them up'. This is just another example of 'letting the opponent know you're there' and it has increased in the last year or so to the point of absurdity.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
is the only think that mattered.

As I said we can ponder whether it was intended to injure or not (or not). That is irrelevant (and a tedious mantra from old skool pundits, or former team mates). It has happened so many times in the last 18 months it is clearly a 'thing', i.e., a learned tactic.

The only time I received one of these was in 1985. By then I'd played thousands of hours of football. The bloke who did it was standing next to me and just trod on my foot then apologised. I was playing for a uni team and we were playing 'scottish veterans' (blokes mostly over 40). It is pure snidery, as noted, mpre painful than shirt pulling and less painful than testicle squeezing (the latter now gone from the game as it would get a 'nonce tag' as well as a red card).

I'd be interested to know, from thise who play amateur football, how many times a game this happens now (albeit when I say 'now' there hasn't been much fotball for 18 months which is roughly when this became a 'thing' as far as I recall (by 'thing' I mean at least one stamping per game)) versus maybe 5 years ago.

By saying it has increased in prevalence over the last 18 months aren’t you saying it is deliberate ? I can’t say I have really noticed it (certainly not one per game) and I have watched a lot of games on tv during lockdown.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So you keep saying. I know enough about probabilities to be able to deduce that it is unquestionably deliberate (because it almost never happened 15, 20, 30 years ago).

We have an expression here, that was once a common chant at Albion games: 'Get into 'em, **** them up'. This is just another example of 'letting the opponent know you're there' and it has increased in the last year or so to the point of absurdity.

Ok and I know enough to say it was very unlikely to be deliberate. I also know it definitely happened in the past as well.

How you've managed to play football more than a few hours with only one person stepping on your feet is beyond me because it happens very easily.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ok and I know enough to say it was very unlikely to be deliberate. I also know it definitely happened in the past as well.

How you've managed to play football more than a few hours with only one person stepping on your feet is beyond me because it happens very easily.

You are in your early 30s. I'm in my early 60s. Thirty years is a long time for finding different new ways to **** up an opponent.

Back in the day there was no need to stamp when you could scythe players down with equanimity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYL-f8zc50I

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Happened to me in the only game I played as an adult (yes, I'm a complete spanner at sport). Broke a bone in my foot but rather than go to hospital I went to see the Ramones at the Top Rank.
Terrible game, Terrific gig.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here