Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euros Group Qualification

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Haven’t seen this discussed anywhere and sorry if it has but I can’t for the life of me find out how it works.

So far I’ve found out that if two teams are level, the team with the best GD finishes highest. If GD is the same it comes down to head to head. If they’re still level and the teams are playing each other they’ll take penalties but what I can’t find out is what happens if they’re not playing each other?

Equally, regarding the 4 best 3rd placed teams, what happens if the 4th and 5th teams have exactly the same record?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
'Ees complicated.

What I do know though, is that at some point, fair play record, then finally, FIFA rankings come into play.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Goals scored before head to head. Not sure on the others. I do think it’s shit to have 24 and 4 of the 3rd placed teams going through - should be 16 and top 2 like it used to be.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Haven’t seen this discussed anywhere and sorry if it has but I can’t for the life of me find out how it works.

So far I’ve found out that if two teams are level, the team with the best GD finishes highest. If GD is the same it comes down to head to head. If they’re still level and the teams are playing each other they’ll take penalties but what I can’t find out is what happens if they’re not playing each other?

Equally, regarding the 4 best 3rd placed teams, what happens if the 4th and 5th teams have exactly the same record?

It's the other way around, if teams are level on points then whoever has the best record between the sides tied finishes higher. Goal difference and goals scored only come down to it if the teams can't be separated by head to head results. As Wales and Switzerland drew, GD will be used if they finish level on points.

If the teams aren't facing each other so a penalty shoot out can be played then disciplinary records and finally overall ranking in the qualifiers will be used

The below is take from the wikipedia page for Euro 2020 (which was sourced from https://documents.uefa.com/v/u/WVKcnryVkASzztwJjPBcIw)

Tiebreakers
If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following tie-breaking criteria are applied:[1]

Higher number of points obtained in the matches played between the teams in question;
Superior goal difference resulting from the matches played between the teams in question;
Higher number of goals scored in the matches played between the teams in question;
If, after having applied criteria 1 to 3, teams still have an equal ranking, criteria 1 to 3 are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the teams who are still level to determine their final rankings.[a] If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria 5 to 10 apply;
Superior goal difference in all group matches;
Higher number of goals scored in all group matches;
Higher number of wins in all group matches;
If on the last round of the group stage, two teams are facing each other and each has the same number of points, as well as the same number of goals scored and conceded, and the score finishes level in their match, their ranking is determined by a penalty shoot-out. (This criterion is not used if more than two teams have the same number of points.);
Lower disciplinary points total in all group matches (1 point for a single yellow card, 3 points for a red card as a consequence of two yellow cards, 3 points for a direct red card, 4 points for a yellow card followed by a direct red card);
Higher position in the European Qualifiers overall ranking.
Notes

If there is a three-way tie on points, the application of the first three criteria may only break the tie for one of the teams, leaving the other two teams still tied. In this case, the tiebreaking procedure is resumed, from the beginning, for the two teams that are still tied.
This criterion could only break a tie if a point deduction were to occur, as multiple teams in the same group cannot otherwise be tied on points but have a different number of wins.

In regards to sorting the teams that finish 3rd then the following tie breaks are used

1) Points; 2) Goal difference; 3) Goals scored; 4) Wins; 5) Lower disciplinary points total; 6) European Qualifiers overall ranking.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Goals scored before head to head. Not sure on the others. I do think it’s shit to have 24 and 4 of the 3rd placed teams going through - should be 16 and top 2 like it used to be.

It’s a very flabby tournament, 36 group games to eliminate just 8 of the 24 participating teams.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It’s a very flabby tournament, 36 group games to eliminate just 8 of the 24 participating teams.

Don’t like it. Essentially if you’re half decent most of it comes down to your last 16 game. Which for us could mean Germany or France - nightmare.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Don’t like it. Essentially if you’re half decent most of it comes down to your last 16 game. Which for us could mean Germany or France - nightmare.
Agree - plus the knockout stages are unfairly weighted, if we win our group then we play 2nd place, whereas other group winners play a 3rd place team.

Should either be 16 or 32. Or if you have to go with 24, make the 3rd placed teams play an extra playoff game.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

Exactly why I show very little interest until knock out stage, Really did lose interest when heard pundits say how many that finished third go through

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Lacks the edge that comes with real competition.

Let’s face it, England could lose heavily to the Czechs on Tuesday, without having a single shot on goal, let alone scoring - and yet still comfortably sail through to the next round because they managed to scrape together one measly goal in three games.

It’s not far off a school sports day where no-one wins but everyone gets a reward for taking part.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Agree - plus the knockout stages are unfairly weighted, if we win our group then we play 2nd place, whereas other group winners play a 3rd place team.

Should either be 16 or 32. Or if you have to go with 24, make the 3rd placed teams play an extra playoff game.

Exactly why I show very little interest until knock out stage, Really did lose interest when heard pundits say how many that finished third go through

The old format was very quick, and slightly chaotic, which added to the excitement. I think it was all over in 3 weeks and any nation with a run of form and/or luck saw them looking at the semis or better which also added to the fun.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here