Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] NZ vs India World Championship

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Nobody interested?

Looks like a low scoring game with Kiwis Favourite. No surprise in the UK, given this shite spring we have had.

Perhaps there should be a return game in the Subcontinent on a dust bowl?

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Nobody interested?

Looks like a low scoring game with Kiwis Favourite. No surprise in the UK, given this shite spring we have had.

Perhaps there should be a return game in the Subcontinent on a dust bowl?

Notwithstanding a dodgy first session, the kiwi bowling attack really is very good.

I don't think the pitch has offered much to the seamers, it was more that the NZ bowlers were able to find plenty of swing, and maybe a couple of dodgy shots (not sure what Rahane was trying to do).

It's a shame India couldn't have had a decent warm up game before this. I guess covid makes everything more difficult, but ideally they would have had a test against Ireland or had the first match against England before this final, to give them a proper run out in these conditions.

I think the final should be that; a final, on a good balanced pitch that offers a bit to genuine quicks, good spinners and quality batsmen at different points. Having a home and away game would make it unnecessarily complicated and drawn out.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Watching at the moment. Three days left with one likely washed out. So hoping Kiwis can post a big lead and bowl India out.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not sure on the rules regarding " reserve " days, it would be a crying shame if the weather put paid to a result rather than playing to the finish over extra days like in the good ol days.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Doesn't look like there will be much play today, apparently there is an option of going into a sixth day?

That would be proper old school...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Doesn't look like there will be much play today, apparently there is an option of going into a sixth day?

That would be proper old school...

I think they used that option on day 1 with no play

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think they used that option on day 1 with no play

It crossed my mind that, if we lose today, a 7th day could be added if both teams were in agreement. Not sure if the ICC would approve but it does make sense.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Going to be a draw isn't it?

So who becomes the Champions of the World?

I reckon if NZ got a 50-100 lead it might yet get interesting.

EDIT: Big catch that.

Shared if no result.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
One day and 34 overs to go. And you can bet they won't get through all of those 34 overs supposedly left today. Only way this match gets a result is if India take a risk and go for it to pile on the runs and take a risk on giving NZ 2 sessions to go after a teasing target, or NZ's bowlers fold up the Indian batting line up in a hurry and NZ can chase something small tomorrow. Or India can decide it's going to be a draw and bat normally. Not many overs gone as yet, but looks like India's taking the last of those options at the moment - bat normal, don't risk anything.

What would have been interesting is if the governing body had declared that in the event of a draw due to the match timing out, the side with the better first innings score would be declared the champions (NB: I'm not suggesting they'd "win" the match as far as record books are concerned, only that they use it as a tie-breaker of sorts to declare the World Test Champions). That would then have forced India to chase the match and make an actual result (either way) more likely.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
One day and 34 overs to go. And you can bet they won't get through all of those 34 overs supposedly left today. Only way this match gets a result is if India take a risk and go for it to pile on the runs and take a risk on giving NZ 2 sessions to go after a teasing target, or NZ's bowlers fold up the Indian batting line up in a hurry and NZ can chase something small tomorrow. Or India can decide it's going to be a draw and bat normally. Not many overs gone as yet, but looks like India's taking the last of those options at the moment - bat normal, don't risk anything.

Watching it through today it seems that NZ caution ended up costing them. There's always a glut of wickets in there.

I can only see a draw or a NZ win. But the better forecast suggests a draw.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Early wobble for India losing Kohli and Pujara (and Pant was dropped). Pant and Rahane now stabilising things, lead growing and stands at 73 currently. Edit: 77.

Edit 2: and now Rahane gone - game on if NZ can run through the lower order.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here