Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What I miss about football growing up

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
POTG.

Edit: missread the thread. Growing up. If that means until I left home....

No, it's still nothing. I still don't 'do' nostalgia and, to be honest, safe in the knowledge I have a ticket beats POTG any day. :shrug:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Signing a new player Friday afternoon and fully expecting them to play on the Saturday.

None of this squad integration rubbish!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Top, top players existing on a diet of fags, steak, lager and lime and giving a Secretary called Debbie a good seeing to.

Sure, Ronaldo and Messi are amazing but how would they get on after a night at a smoke filled Berni Inn followed by a quick pump with a blonde with a perm as their post match routine? And I'm not even going to mention the prospect of a fight.

Ice bath smice bath

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
All the games kicking off at 3 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon

Just a few days ago we were discussing what was better about 1981 than 2021 on a whatsapp group.

The overwhelming answers were 3pm Sat kick offs and the FA Cup Final being special.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
But definitely NOT the toilets.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Top, top players existing on a diet of fags, steak, lager and lime and giving a Secretary called Debbie a good seeing to.

Sure, Ronaldo and Messi are amazing but how would they get on after a night at a smoke filled Berni Inn followed by a quick pump with a blonde with a perm as their post match routine? And I'm not even going to mention the prospect of a fight.

Ice bath smice bath

Love it!

Seeing a hung over Frank Worthington emerge from the West Stand Bogs pre match at the Goldstone, adjusting his flies, with a fag hanging out of his mouth.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Lights being turned off in the stands, focusing the floodlights, made for a far better atmosphere

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Terraces.
4 towering floodlights.
POTG.
3PM Saturday kick off.
Black football boots.
Admiral football kits.
Fans actually watching the match and not on phones and iPads filming everything. :glare:

Not being bombarded with betting advertisements especially on football shirts.:annoyed:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Peter Bonetti green goalkeeper gloves - the dogs bollox of keeper gloves in those days

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Just 1 substitute and players who played like men and if fouled just got up and got on with the game, and not the theatrical prima donnas of today where anyone falls over at the touch of a feather.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Real men playing the game. Not falling over like they’ve been shot by a sniper. Hard but fair.
Oh and orange balls for when it snowed.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
3103D424-0AA6-44AD-8958-7101E6BE6301.jpeg

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Great photo, flared trousers, smart shoes, Lord Anthony parkas and the chap on the right having a rant.

I remember seeing beer crates and homemade wooden boxes for kids to stand on, but never a stool…..looks safe to me. :)

When my old man first took me to the Goldstone I had a crate to stand on complete with wooden rattle!
Think it must have been a ball ache to carry, as I was soon promoted to his shoulders so I could see any crowd trouble. :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here