Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] We only want a point against the Czech Republic

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'm happy to take second place in the group and avoid the Portugal/Germany/France possibility at this stage.

Would rather take the Swedes.

Or would you rather get the big guns out of the way/end all expectation sooner rather than later?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yeah, I don't subscribe to this 'easy route' theory. No joy in winning a trophy when you've had an easy route to it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I said on another thread we might as well expect a Wembley version of the Disgrace of Gijon. 0-0 gets both of us through and an "easier" draw for us.

England v Sweden would be good for the NSC v Swanny lolz but the 2021 Swedish vintage would probably knock us out.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I'm happy to take second place in the group and avoid the Portugal/Germany/France possibility at this stage.

Or would you rather get the big guns out of the way/end all expectation sooner rather than later?

I want to win it, but if we ain't gonna win it, and that looks likely, I'd sooner get knocked out earlier if that gets rid of Southgate before the WC next year.

Don't want another easy ride, scraping past against easier teams to again paper over the cracks like the last WC, before getting beat later by the first decent team we face (like the last WC), only to then say as its the QF/SF we met our target etc and Southgate gets another major tourno to waste a talented group of players.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
yeah playing for a draw risks losing and not going through at all.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I want to win it, but if we ain't gonna win it, and that looks likely, I'd sooner get knocked out earlier if that gets rid of Southgate before the WC next year.

Don't want another easy ride, scraping past against easier teams to again paper over the cracks like the last WC, before getting beat later by the first decent team we face (like the last WC), only to then say as its the QF/SF we met our target etc and Southgate gets another major tourno to waste a talented group of players.

Yes, this.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The thing is, with 4 points, we are probably through already, whatever happens.

There is no way we will exit on four points. You are sentenced to another week come what may.

The competition's only downside is its reward for failure.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
We only want a new manager against the Czech Republic. Frank Spencer with his trademark beret used to make me laugh. Southgate with his trademark waistcoat doesn't.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
There is no way we will exit on four points. You are sentenced to another week come what may.

Yes, a 24 club competition really is a bloody stupid idea.

It was stupid when it happened in the World Cup and it remains stupid now.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I think we will struggle against the Czechs. They’re the best team in the group.

I’d snatch your hand off for a draw at this stage.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

Not sure there is much point in the "half the teams play at home" rubbish if you then throw a game so you don't play at home.

well i think if we lost 1-0 and scotland win 2-0 then three teams would have 4 points and we would miss out on goal difference ! ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here