Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Club affiliation National team loyalty ?

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Now being we are somewhat of southern English team
I’m curious as to some of the tenuous connections or more genuine reasons why you
A Follow the Albion despite perhaps being of northern / foreign origin
B follow another international team other than England

IE Swanny s potter interest Means he follows the Albion
Or I’m guessing here THPP was born north of the border ?
Discuss

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
As incongruous as it sounds, my main loyalty is to football itself. Albion are the team I like to see win the most though. I feel more connected to Brighton than the wider nation. There was part of me that wanted Scotland to score tonight to make things interesting. So I guess my 'loyalty' to England is questionable when pitted against my enjoyment of the game. I enjoyed Denmark v Belgium far more. I want to see England win, but if they bungled their way to the trophy I wouldn't be that excited by it. I just like the Euros full stop.

Actually, I don't think I am answering the question. I find myself following other international teams because I am taught, by exposure to various rhetoric, to be committed to England and I don't like being told where my loyalties should lay. Whereas with Brighton it just happened more naturally and I didn't feel compelled.

So people have their reasons, all personal, and I think it's good that people come from different roads to their affiliations as it show they don't follow the herd.

I'm guessing THPP enjoyed tonight more than most in here.

Last edited:

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
Remain an Albion fan even though I left Brighton in 1971
Became and remain a huge fan of Denmark (much more so than England, who really I don't follow), after living there in the 70s, 80s & early 90s and got to see their beautiful football played by players like Elkjaer, Laudrup, Arnesen etc (who were also very articulate people in various languages - unlike most english players) then the ride to win the Euros in 92 and partying when we beat Germany and we all sang Deuchtland Alles es forbei in the main square when they came back - the semi final against Holland was also one of the most dramatic games I have ever seen). They /we just play great football and yes the whole Eriksen stuff had me crying.... We are Red we are White we are Danish Dynamite!!!!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Born in Brighton, support Brighton
Born in England, support England

them's the rules.

I was born in Surrey and lived in Aldershot for my first six weeks.

Should I stop supporting Albion ?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I’d have more affiliation with England if we had our own National Anthem. It’s ****ing embarrassing rolling out our dirge when we play Scotland or Wales. In fact, replace GSTQ with GOSBTS. Job’s a good ‘un.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
As the England supporters club seem to be doing all they can to become the Millwall of the international scene they are doing all they can to ostracise me.

Thankfully, the can **** off.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
As the England supporters club seem to be doing all they can to become the Millwall of the international scene they are doing all they can to ostracise me.

Thankfully, the can **** off.

Not quite sure what you re getting at Hamilton ?

Mexican Seagulls reply was more in tune with the sort of response I was trying to instigate

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Born in Shoreham, live in Shoreham, although Steyning until I was 5, schooled in Steyning, so have a soft spot for them. Professionally Brighton, always. Asides brief admiration for the way some teams play over the year, Chelsea in the 90's with VIalli and Zola for example, I have no other club interests in this country. Internationally I follow Italy and ROmania for no other reason than they are places I've been to multiple times and like for many reasons. Likewise Republic of Ireland, also because its my family roots going back, on my fathers side.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Of course always want England to win but if lose not that concerned and soon forget. However a loss or a bad performance by Albion will cheese me off for days

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Born in Buckingham Road maternity hospital so what option did I have? Like all other small boys I 'followed' a division 1 team from 1969 to 74. After I left Sussex for uni I became an intermittent attendee at Albion games till my early 40s owing partly to other interest and partly due to antipathy towards the naffness and vulgarity of the noisy element of mainstream support.

Euro 96 got me interested in England again, having given up on them after 1970 with the emergence of all that right wing shit-housery coinciding with pitiful England set up, crap managers, one-eyed team selection, and abject failure after failure.

I really like the England set up, now. The manager is a bit insipid but he's OK. Even the club rivalry cliques seem to have gone. The knee-booing cult of gammony morons is still out there, but they don't own football anymore and no longer matter :shrug:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Not quite sure what you re getting at Hamilton ?

Mexican Seagulls reply was more in tune with the sort of response I was trying to instigate

So sorry for opinion bombing your thread :)

I support Albion first and England second.

At the moment, if England's rugby team were playing at the same time as out football team, I'd probably choose to watch the 15 blokes rather than the 11.

I still enjoy supporting Scotland, but find it much harder to get any weight behind Wales and Northern Ireland, although I couldn't tell you why.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Now being we are somewhat of southern English team
I’m curious as to some of the tenuous connections or more genuine reasons why you
A Follow the Albion despite perhaps being of northern / foreign origin
B follow another international team other than England

IE Swanny s potter interest Means he follows the Albion
Or I’m guessing here THPP was born north of the border ?
Discuss

You may have to write the instructions again, in crayons. :)

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Born in Dumbaton, Scotland. Moved to Brighton in 1974 and started following Brighton not long after. I was born into a Rangers supporting family but rarely went to watch them so the bond wasn't strong. I moved back to Scotland in 2001 and was intending to get a season ticket at Rangers, but experiencing the bigotry, idiocy and ignorance from both sides of the religious divide in Glasgow was enough for me to turn my back on ever getting a ticket, never mind a season ticket. I didn't grow up with that crap in my life (thankfully) and i'd like to think anyone with half a brain would be able to rise above that bile, sadly though, that seems not to be the case.

I did go and watch a few games at Motherwell and at Hamilton but the feeling just wasn't there, i guess Bruno is right, once a seagull.....

As for Scotland, i'm Scottish so i will support my nation but i don't really hate England in fact if they're playing anyone but Scotland i will probably be watching and willing them to win, i have now lived in Spain for nearly 7 years and watch them, willing them to win too, except against Scotland.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Born in Buckingham Road maternity hospital so what option did I have? Like all other small boys I 'followed' a division 1 team from 1969 to 74. After I left Sussex for uni I became an intermittent attendee at Albion games till my early 40s owing partly to other interest and partly due to antipathy towards the naffness and vulgarity of the noisy element of mainstream support.

Euro 96 got me interested in England again, having given up on them after 1970 with the emergence of all that right wing shit-housery coinciding with pitiful England set up, crap managers, one-eyed team selection, and abject failure after failure.

I really like the England set up, now. The manager is a bit insipid but he's OK. Even the club rivalry cliques seem to have gone. The knee-booing cult of gammony morons is still out there, but they don't own football anymore and no longer matter :shrug:

I’ve just read the opening post again and then read this.

Odd :moo: :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here