Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Apple Watch running question.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Probably opening myself up for ridicule here, but here goes.
I use the Nike Run Club app to track my runs. Been using it since 2009. I obviously have to carry my phone with me when running.
My question, (which I realise is probably highlighting my lack of tech savvy). If you have this app on an Apple watch, I take it you still need to carry the phone with you?

Not really made that clear for oldies like me.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
No, you won’t need to take your phone with you.

I actually use the built in Apple Fitness app as it makes a great job of tracking everything and then import the run into Strava.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
No, you won’t need to take your phone with you.

I actually use the built in Apple Fitness app as it makes a great job of tracking everything and then import the run into Strava.

Really? I may actually get one then!

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
I’m not sure how many people use Nike Run Club but I think Strava is more widely used.

I had used Runkeeper since 2009 and was not keen on moving to Strava at first but I’m so glad I finally did.

The Apple Watch fitness app + Strava works really well.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I use Nike Run Club on my watch. I does a great job of syncing with all the other health stuff on your watch/phone. I find it much better than Strava which I binned off when they started charging for it, I hated all the Kudos nonsense that came with Strava as well. It's a fitness app, not a form of social media.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I’m not sure how many people use Nike Run Club but I think Strava is more widely used.

I had used Runkeeper since 2009 and was not keen on moving to Strava at first but I’m so glad I finally did.

Well I've clocked up almost 13,000 km's so I'd like to make it to the "volt" status.
Before the apps, I used to record all my runs in a diary with times & all my routes had names. The apps are great for tracking your fitness, whichever you use. (Better keep this on technology as I know there is a large running thread).
Will order an Apple watch on top I've my Macbook Air then. Feels like Christmas, but I'm in the U.S. so daft not to make the most of the weak $ while I'm here.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
I use Nike Run Club on my watch. I does a great job of syncing with all the other health stuff on your watch/phone. I find it much better than Strava which I binned off when they started charging for it, I hated all the Kudos nonsense that came with Strava as well. It's a fitness app, not a form of social media.

Fair play! I don’t really know Nike Run Club but if it works well then all good.

But I do like the Strava Kudos thing.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Well I've clocked up almost 13,000 km's so I'd like to make it to the "volt" status.
Before the apps, I used to record all my runs in a diary with times & all my routes had names. The apps are great for tracking your fitness, whichever you use. (Better keep this on technology as I know there is a large running thread).
Will order an Apple watch on top I've my Macbook Air then. Feels like Christmas, but I'm in the U.S. so daft not to make the most of the weak $ while I'm here.

I still 'use' (well, I check it occasionally) what I still call Nike+, because it's the first running app I had. I'm talking back in the day when you had to put a little transponder in a cutout in the sole of your Nike trainers (accuracy was iffy, at best!).

I started in 2012 with it and got to Volt level (9,320 miles) the other month. It's all linked to Strava (as is my Garmin), so a good way of keeping track of total miles run since running again properly in 2011 – currently at 10,066 (spoiler alert, there's no 'fanfare' when you get to that – nor when you get to Volt).

D

Deleted member 2719

Probably opening myself up for ridicule here, but here goes.
I use the Nike Run Club app to track my runs. Been using it since 2009. I obviously have to carry my phone with me when running.
My question, (which I realise is probably highlighting my lack of tech savvy). If you have this app on an Apple watch, I take it you still need to carry the phone with you?

Not really made that clear for oldies like me.

I would take the phone anyway!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I still 'use' (well, I check it occasionally) what I still call Nike+, because it's the first running app I had. I'm talking back in the day when you had to put a little transponder in a cutout in the sole of your Nike trainers (accuracy was iffy, at best!).

I started in 2012 with it and got to Volt level (9,320 miles) the other month. It's all linked to Strava (as is my Garmin), so a good way of keeping track of total miles run since running again properly in 2011 – currently at 10,066 (spoiler alert, there's no 'fanfare' when you get to that – nor when you get to Volt).

Yes I had the old Nike+ app; it was actually more accurate for the treadmill once you got it sync'd. No fanfare for Volt? I was hoping for a ticker tape parade in my street!

Just looking at the Nike Apple watch, comes in over here at $399. Thinking about it still. Seems like a luxury item after so long at home in lockdown not earning much. (All good now though).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here