Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euro Final @ Wembly or not?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Quite incredible. The wishes of a 2,000 Fifa and Uefa people coming ahead of fans. Astonishing but not surprising. Ticketing of the event has been outrageous, corporate dominance always.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57523197

So UEFA now want to ignore our (UK) Quarentine rules for VIP and overseas fans or they will move the final / Semi finals to HUngary...

I would be happy to see that happen, we dont want or need another wave just bescause UEFA want to ignore our quarentine requirements.

Whats your thoughts?

It all sounds like a bunch of muppetarianism, is my thought.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Look these international dignitaries are far more important to our future than the rank and file plebs of Britain. Their attendance at the UEFA finals is unavoidable and is clearly absolutely essential travel.

If they want to come prancing into the UK and skirt round some rigidly applied rules for our populace, that's ok.

And UEFA coming up with blackmail tactics once the tournament has already statred, well that's ok too - we want the World Cup in 2030.

And by the way Hungary has the comfortably the highest COVID deaths per million of population anywhere in Europe. Not just the worst, they very, very worst.

Another normal day of football politics - in this case I'd f**k UEFA.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You mean like when travel to portugal for the champions league final was fine, then when everyone was back portugal joined the amber list?

It shouldn't happen, but this government has repeatedly messed up fighting the spread of covid for their own purposes whether it be a trade deal with India or to avoid the criticism of not letting fans travel to portugal for the champions league final. They will risk everything because of the black eye losing the final would give to them and their pr efforts. Which is ridiculous, because as law breaking, lying, incompetence has gone unpunished both by the party/government and the electorate shows, it wouldn't make any difference.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
legal cases galore if they allow UEFA to get around rules while applying to everyone else. or there should be.

how do the players get around them presently?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I hope they do allow it, more people will see the joke that is the current system and turn on it.

Three legal case have just started up

Man/Ryanair
Abta
BA/Virgin.

This will
Just help them

1901Phil

Feb 1, 2012
Tunbridge Wells
I wonder how many of our government have been given tickets for the final?
We let large numbers in for G7, Gove went to Porto for the Champions league final but humble citizens are told not go on a foregn holiday

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Prefer the final to be in Budapest tbh - love a continental finals night. This Euro championships spread around hasn't sat well with me ever since it was announced.

Although Covid would have diluted the effect this time round these tournaments should be in one or two neighboring countries

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Prefer the final to be in Budapest tbh - love a continental finals night. This Euro championships spread around hasn't sat well with me ever since it was announced.

Although Covid would have diluted the effect this time round these tournaments should be in one or two neighboring countries

I think it would have been great with full stadiums. I liked seeing the games in Copenhagen and Budapest. I don't have an issue with the multi nation format. Denmark, as an example, may have to wait some time for a finals event as would Budapest. Part of me wishes this was an ongoing thing for the Euros. If they last because of the mad two year World Cup plan (which affects small Euro nations).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I didn't read it quite as "dramatically" as you. But if it comes to it then Uefa can **** off and move it.

Pretty much this for me too. Wasn't UEFA's demand for all their free-loaders to be allowed in without quarantine that prevented the all English Champions League final being played at Wembley? But whatever they want, our country's quarantine laws come first, second ................. and third! UEFA, as far as I'm concerned can do one.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Now we know why Kit Malthouse was this morning floating the idea that lockdown could be eased on 5 July, which is surprise surprise just before the semi finals and final.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I hope they do allow it, more people will see the joke that is the current system and turn on it.

Three legal case have just started up

Man/Ryanair
Abta
BA/Virgin.

This will
Just help them

Indeed - at the moment, if any of us travel to an amber list country (virtually the whole of Europe), we have to self-isolate for 10 days on entry to the UK. That's the case whether we've been fully vaccinated, or whether we've had a negative PCR test (in fact, you have to pay around £150 yourself to have mandatory tests during the 10 day self-isolation). So if the government suddenly make an exception for 40,000 (say) Dutch and Italians, with varied UEFA bigwigs from all over the place, it would be a farce. I think the only way they could credibly make that decision is to put most countries in Europe on the Green List.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Indeed - at the moment, if any of us travel to an amber list country (virtually the whole of Europe), we have to self-isolate for 10 days on entry to the UK. That's the case whether we've been fully vaccinated, or whether we've had a negative PCR test (in fact, you have to pay around £150 yourself to have mandatory tests during the 10 day self-isolation). So if the government suddenly make an exception for 40,000 (say) Dutch and Italians, with varied UEFA bigwigs from all over the place, it would be a farce. I think the only way they could credibly make that decision is to put most countries in Europe on the Green List.

I think the way they will get around this will be the double jab means free to travel rule.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here