Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Albion's Euro Contingent, gone AWOL?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I wonder why we have seen next to nothing of the Albion contingent at the Euros, l know that none of them were exactly confirmed starters for their respective nations, but they have been pretty much absent coming off the bench too.

Thoughts?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I wonder why we have seen next to nothing of the Albion contingent at the Euros, l know that none of them were exactly confirmed starters for their respective nations, but they have been pretty much absent coming off the bench too.

Thoughts?
Yes, you are correct. That's about it really!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Thoughts?

Thoughts are that there is literally no global 'reason', and that each of the respective nations' coaching staff will be making their own judgements.

Veltman was only ever likely to be back up in the Dutch squad. Might get a go in the third group game as they've already qualified.
White the same with England. If England win tonight, might get minutes in the third game.
Sanchez did incredibly well to make the squad out of nowhere, and the cancelation of Spain's final friendly doomed him to getting no competition game time.
Trossard is competing for minutes with the likes of Mertens, Hazard (x2), Carrasco and De Bruyne.

The only one ever likely to start, was Moder, and I suspect he will do in Poland's next game, as Krokowiak is suspended.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If Veltman, White, Sanchez and Trossard were Slovenian, Scottish, Macedonian, Czech, etc they'd be playing every game. Just 'unfortunate' to be representing very strong nations.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I will be genuinely shocked if Moder isn’t a starter in the next game, all the others (except Veltman) are just bench warmers with no chance of a game until qualifying is guaranteed.

I’d give Trossard (back up for Hazard, who is also a sub) and Sanchez virtually no chance though. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if White gets a game now Maguire is allegedly fit.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Because they are all back up players. Bearing in mind there are over 600 players picked for this Euro's and we haven't even completed the second round of matches, there's probably another 250 plus players who have also not seen any action yet.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Thoughts?

It is a conspiracy. Fact.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I’d give Trossard (back up for Hazard, who is also a sub) and Sanchez virtually no chance though.

As Belgium have pretty much qualified, I was expecting them to play some fringe players against Finland. Martinez did it in the World Cup (and still beat us). Trossard may get game time on Monday, even if its just to allow some of the others to rest / avoid cards & injuries. Barring injury, your'e right about Sanchez. I think he has been picked ahead of Kepa so that he can experience a tournament with a view to being a more active part of future squads. Ben White may get a chance after Maguire breaks down in his comeback game and Mings gets the inevitable red card for a rash lunge when caught out of position against the first clever striker he comes up against, but we could be going home by them anyway.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Lots of them are likely to play in the last group stage game as they are already qualified from the groups.

Anyway. Their teams advancement from those groups means a some money for the club, so thats a positive.

Starting 14 days before the tournament, each club gets £5k per day and per player. Piss on the ocean mayhaps but the clubs are also sharing €200m depening on how many players and how far they go and so on. I think its a bit of rocket science to figure out exactly how much but I'm guessing the club will recieve at least €2m (the exact figures will be revealed in a few months IIRC).

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As Belgium have pretty much qualified, I was expecting them to play some fringe players against Finland. Martinez did it in the World Cup (and still beat us). Trossard may get game time on Monday, even if its just to allow some of the others to rest / avoid cards & injuries. Barring injury, your'e right about Sanchez. I think he has been picked ahead of Kepa so that he can experience a tournament with a view to being a more active part of future squads. Ben White may get a chance after Maguire breaks down in his comeback game and Mings gets the inevitable red card for a rash lunge when caught out of position against the first clever striker he comes up against, but we could be going home by them anyway.

:lolol: :bowdown:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Lots of them are likely to play in the last group stage game as they are already qualified from the groups.

Anyway. Their teams advancement from those groups means a lot of money for the club, so thats a positive.

Starting 14 days before the tournament, each club gets £5k per day and per player. Piss on the ocean mayhaps but the clubs are also sharing €200m depening on how many players and how far they go and so on. I think its a bit of rocket science to figure out exactly how much but I'm guessing the club will recieve at least €2m (the exact figures will be revealed in a few months IIRC).

Not to mention the increase in market value that a tolerable performance in a game might bring. Not that we're selling, like.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I will be genuinely shocked if Moder isn’t a starter in the next game, all the others (except Veltman) are just bench warmers with no chance of a game until qualifying is guaranteed.

I’d give Trossard (back up for Hazard, who is also a sub) and Sanchez virtually no chance though. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if White gets a game now Maguire is allegedly fit.

All true of course, although in the case of Ben White, I think he may have more chance of making a start in a defensive midfield position, or even wide left or right of defence, rather than his usual centre back.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Thoughts are that there is literally no global 'reason', and that each of the respective nations' coaching staff will be making their own judgements.

Veltman was only ever likely to be back up in the Dutch squad. Might get a go in the third group game as they've already qualified.
White the same with England. If England win tonight, might get minutes in the third game.
Sanchez did incredibly well to make the squad out of nowhere, and the cancelation of Spain's final friendly doomed him to getting no competition game time.
Trossard is competing for minutes with the likes of Mertens, Hazard (x2), Carrasco and De Bruyne.

The only one ever likely to start, was Moder, and I suspect he will do in Poland's next game, as Krokowiak is suspended.

This,

There’s no conspiracy.

Velts, White and Sanchez are on the fringes. Ditto Tross who may be slightly ahead as he does get game time (and played in their first group game).

The only one who appears slightly unlucky is Moder, who was a starter for the Poles in the run up to the Euros I believe.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'm just a tad surprised, and l suppose a little disappointed, that at least one or two or them haven't made an outing off the bench, even in the last few minutes of games to provide frash legs, or to help run the clock down.

Once qualification has been assured, (or rendered impossible), that may all change of course.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm just a tad surprised, and l suppose a little disappointed, that at least one or two or them haven't made an outing off the bench, even in the last few minutes of games to provide frash legs, or to help run the clock down.

Once qualification has been assured, (or rendered impossible), that may all change of course.
Veltman came on for Holland in the first game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here