Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ronaldo Coca-Cola Thing

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Pretty poor from UEFA. I appreciate there are contractual obligations but there are also 10 teaspoons of sugar in every can of regular Coke. A shame that Kane and Rashford are Coke ambassadors too, do they really need the money that bad?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57517337

I know they need money but it would be nice if Uefa were a bit more discerning about who they partner with.

In my opinion, there are certain companies that are not a good fit for sporting events.

I wonder what would happen if the players refused to be filmed with the offending bottles in the picture?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Good on Ronaldo to use his not insignificant influence to give people food for thought. Maybe if sporting regulatory bodies weren’t in cahoots with such companies or thought twice about accepting gargantuan amounts of sugar dollars so easily without perhaps offering an alternative this wouldn’t even be a debate.

I note elsewhere people have reminded about Ronaldo’s ambassadorships for big oil etc and claimed hypocrisy on his part but frankly doesn’t bother me as he’s chosen to make a stand here.

I’d love it if every player did the same forcing UEFA into an impossible position. I’m not by nature a woke lefty but in this situation where kids are more and more impressionable it would be good if there was a big enough backlash to make them think again about Coca-cola, McDonalds and Heineken as their core sponsors.

Bracknell_Gull

Jul 4, 2011
Bracknell
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the bottle of Heineken removed by Pogba in those pictures alcohol free Heineken? Therefore not in contradiction with his religious beliefs?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if sportsman are serious in their objection they'll carry on and cover the fines.

really need to question why on earth UEFA needs the money at all. what do they spend money on and why? does money flow to grass roots and if so why are they so impoverished when so many billions are generated?

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Ronaldo supposedly earns $40m a year JUST FROM INSTAGRAM - I doubt he's going to be too worried about what fines fly about, only thing that would impact him is a match ban, and UEFA would then be cutting it's nose off to spite it's face.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the bottle of Heineken removed by Pogba in those pictures alcohol free Heineken? Therefore not in contradiction with his religious beliefs?

Heineken 0.0 contains less than 0.05% alcohol so as such it is a alcohol free beer.

It still contains some alcohol - so no.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I imagine 50 years ago it would have been a packet of Marlboros and some asbestos face masks on the podium so we have come some way in working out what filth we put into our bodies. Sugar is now exposed as the danger it is and it is good it is being seen as such. I wonder what will be targeted as unhealthy in 50 years time? We can't be far away from regular celebrities objecting to disposable plastics anywhere near them or electronics made in sweatshops.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

Well, I don't think it is as non-alcoholic beer and wine is made in the same way as normal versions, only the alcohol is abstracted as a later part of the process, and not absolutely 100% of it is removed. So like anything religious, whether Islam, Christian or otherwise, it comes down to interpretation.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Half of the purpose with all major beer companies producing alcohol free beer is to be able to market their stuff on TV, in sports and elsewhere. Realistically speaking their alcohol free products must be a very, very small part of their profit. When they are advertising their brand, they really are advertising alcohol and I can see why muslims (and quite a few others) wouldnt want to do that.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
The same group of players will rock up in Qatar next year and play in stadiums that over 6500 migrant workers have died during construction.

It is a comfort to know that they are concerned about sugar in drinks.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The same group of players will rock up in Qatar next year and play in stadiums that over 6500 migrant workers have died during construction.

It is a comfort to know that they are concerned about sugar in drinks.

Though I get your point, I'm pretty sure sugar in drinks kills a lot more than 6500 people every year.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Half of the purpose with all major beer companies producing alcohol free beer is to be able to market their stuff on TV, in sports and elsewhere. Realistically speaking their alcohol free products must be a very, very small part of their profit. When they are advertising their brand, they really are advertising alcohol and I can see why muslims (and quite a few others) wouldnt want to do that.

Exactly, it’s about advertising the brand, the alcohol content is largely irrelevant in Pogba’s stand.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
So you dont think they should have opinions or principles at all about anything because they are not perfect human beings?

No. I just think they should get things into perspective. Happy to play in stadiums where 6500 people have died. Not happy to be associated with a sugary drink.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No. I just think they should get things into perspective. Happy to play in stadiums where 6500 people have died. Not happy to be associated with a sugary drink.

and they'd be happy with fizzy pop on the table if their beaks were also getting wet.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

I always find this argument interesting. You would rather they didn't make a stand/comment/association with anything unless they include a big-ticket item at your discretion.

Personally, I would agree that I would like them to make a stand about Qatar and boycott it. However, the fact that they are not doing that (we assume) shouldn't preclude them from doing other stuff.

Each to their own I guess, we can think what we like about stuff.

And so can they.

Last edited:

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Good on Ronaldo to use his not insignificant influence to give people food for thought. Maybe if sporting regulatory bodies weren’t in cahoots with such companies or thought twice about accepting gargantuan amounts of sugar dollars so easily without perhaps offering an alternative this wouldn’t even be a debate.

I note elsewhere people have reminded about Ronaldo’s ambassadorships for big oil etc and claimed hypocrisy on his part but frankly doesn’t bother me as he’s chosen to make a stand here.

I’d love it if every player did the same forcing UEFA into an impossible position. I’m not by nature a woke lefty but in this situation where kids are more and more impressionable it would be good if there was a big enough backlash to make them think again about Coca-cola, McDonalds and Heineken as their core sponsors.

The same Ronaldo who was once sponsored by Coke and KFC?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here