Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tories lose Chesham and Amersham

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I keep saying this.

Anywhere with a majority of educated people are going to turn on this Government. Educated Brexiteers have acknowledged the win and moved on. Your church wardens, your WI leaders, the pillars of leafy suburban and rural England are sick of Johnson & co. They are smart enough to see how astonishingly incompetent this lot are. They are not drunk on the nationalism, the bias levelling-up, the anti-immigration or anti-identity politics spouted by this awful cabinet.

The Tories have lost the Times, Daily Mail & Telegraph readers but Sun readers will remain loyal.

The next election is ON! I can now see a Lib-Dem-Labour coalition which I believe would be the best outcome for the Country.

The Blue wall in the south will be demolished!

Fantastic result!

I share your enthusiasm. We saw something a bit similar in Worthing with the swing to Labour in the council election. It could be that in Tory constituencies where there is a clear alternative there might be a tipping point which sees significant tactical voting to oust the incumbent. Of course this would be easier to achieve if other candidates stood down to clear the path for the non-Tory candidate. We are still a long way from this but it could be the only way to rid ourselves of this dreadful government.
With no UKIP/Brexit Party to split the Tory vote, something needs to be engineered by centre-left leaning parties: if the best hope for the country is a Coalition built after an election, then why not pave the way for it before one? Were I running the Conservative electoral machine, this would give me sleepless nights.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Labour basically stepped aside didn’t they? I guess they hope libs do same In Batley and spen.

LDs only had 2000 or so votes in the last election so I'm not sure that's going to make much difference.

While it's usual for governments to lose by-elections, it's unusual to see 16000 majorities being overturned. I suspect that HS2 played a big part in this one. But it's also interesting to see how the planning law shake-up will play out - that's not something that's popular in the shires

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It could be if Labour, the LibDems and the Greens got their act together and thrashed out a proper progressive alliance. But they won’t, meaning the electoral maths still easily stack up for the Tories.

Only two countries in Europe have FPTP voting systems. Belarus and us.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I share your enthusiasm. We saw something a bit similar in Worthing with the swing to Labour in the council election. It could be that in Tory constituencies where there is a clear alternative there might be a tipping point which sees significant tactical voting to oust the incumbent. Of course this would be easier to achieve if other candidates stood down to clear the path for the non-Tory candidate. We are still a long way from this but it could be the only way to rid ourselves of this dreadful government.
With no UKIP/Brexit Party to split the Tory vote, something needs to be engineered by centre-left leaning parties: if the best hope for the country is a Coalition built after an election, then why not pave the way for it before one? Were I running the Conservative electoral machine, this would give me sleepless nights.

It's the only way to unseat this disproportionately damaging government. All parties have to be serious and realistic about it. That means things like Lab and Greens stepping aside in Lewes and in Worthing the LDs and Greens stepping aside for Labour, to give two local examples. If the proposed boundary changes go through even more thought needs to go into it.

Personally I wouldn't trust the Lib Dems as far as I could throw them after they played their part ushering in the age of austerity in 2010. Still beggars cannot be choosers and last night's win for them was a great result. It showed that it is possible.

It is vital that we ditch FPTP and we can finally get a representative electoral system. Only a progressive coalition can do this.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This result backs up what I've been saying for a long time - Labour and Lib Dem need to merge.

There is zero chance of defeating the Tories if the left is split, while Labour are too left for the mainstream voter. Labour voted tactically for the Lib Dems here but there is no chance of that tactical voting happening on a national scale.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
This result backs up what I've been saying for a long time - Labour and Lib Dem need to merge.

There is zero chance of defeating the Tories if the left is split, while Labour are too left for the mainstream voter. Labour voted tactically for the Lib Dems here but there is no chance of that tactical voting happening on a national scale.

Happened a lot in 2017 though.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I keep saying this.

Anywhere with a majority of educated people are going to turn on this Government. Educated Brexiteers have acknowledged the win and moved on. Your church wardens, your WI leaders, the pillars of leafy suburban and rural England are sick of Johnson & co. They are smart enough to see how astonishingly incompetent this lot are. They are not drunk on the nationalism, the bias levelling-up, the anti-immigration or anti-identity politics spouted by this awful cabinet.

The Tories have lost the Times, Daily Mail & Telegraph readers but Sun readers will remain loyal.

The next election is ON! I can now see a Lib-Dem-Labour coalition which I believe would be the best outcome for the Country.

Fantastic result!

While not making any assumptions, I could see the seat where I live going the same way for the same reasons. Winchester used to be a liberal/lib-dem seat anyway, and the bit that I live in used to be part of the Eastleigh constituency, which also used to be lib-dem. And quite apart from the Brexit thing, people are perhaps more likely to feel strongly about things like foreign aid cuts and animal welfare, which seems to have been thrown under a bus for the Australia trade deal.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It could be if Labour, the LibDems and the Greens got their act together and thrashed out a proper progressive alliance. But they won’t, meaning the electoral maths still easily stack up for the Tories.

I still believe that any chance of a labour majority disappeared long term in 2015 when the SNP returned 50 MPs and the only way Labour will get into power since then is in coalition.

The Conservative voting numbers have been boosted by the Boris Johnson cult, and I think it is more likely that the traditional conservative voters will desert what used to be their party long before the cultists. That probably means a long wait before and we get back to any form of sensible Government, no matter what the colour. The resulting decades of hardship for Britain will make 'austerity' look like a walk in the park :down:

And, as if that's not bad enough, the auto spell has changed it to cult again :rolleyes:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It's a massive (but obviously not MASSIVE as only one thing in the history of the universe is) swing.

I wonder how long it will be before Cummings posts something on his blog/says something that infers or states that his revelations about Johnson/the Government lie at the heart of the revolt.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Fantastic result!

:lol::lol::lol:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Hmm,

Tory voters pissed off with how the Tories have been doing via the COVID issue send out a protest vote at a by-election?

Back to Boris when it matters?

We shall see...

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Ed Davey (who?) prepare for government .... its the hope that kills you [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The culture war isn't for everyone and nor is the post truth post shame world the Vote Leave government have created

So many lies, so many crooked deals, so much invasion of scrutiny, so much lack of respect for institutions, so much law breaking and so much championing of division.

I used to vote Tory, but they've lost their moral compass, they've lost the plot...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here