Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The advantages of using a mortgage broker ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’ll come tomorrow with my query but I would like to know why it’s an advantage to have a broker involved.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Apart from trawling the whole market with a database of up-to-date deals, a broker can point you at the lenders who do a soft credit search, so that your credit history is not updated with the info that you have made a mortgage application.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The reason I ask is because my daughter has been invoiced for an additional sum of 6k on the eve of her move by her solicitors for what I can only think is for some some penalisation of early re-mortgage Blah Blah. The broker had assured her that the mortgage was split to get around these penalties but then advised tonight 16 hours before completion that they should stall because if they go head they might have to re-arrange the mortgage .... The solicitor has basically said don’t even think about that because of penalties. Poor girl was beside her tonight. 6 ****in* 5housand on the eve of your move ........... what ?

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
The reason I ask is because my daughter has been invoiced for an additional sum of 6k on the eve of her move by her solicitors for what I can only think is for some some penalisation of early re-mortgage Blah Blah. The broker had assured her that the mortgage was split to get around these penalties but then advised tonight 16 hours before completion that they should stall because if they go head they might have to re-arrange the mortgage .... The solicitor has basically said don’t even think about that because of penalties. Poor girl was beside her tonight. 6 ****in* 5housand on the eve of your move ........... what ?

Sadly for your Daughter, Broker or Solicitor screwed up and she`ll be left out of pocket.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
advantage of a broker seems to me when you have non-standard circumstances or cant work out the best mortgage from comparethemeerkat. in this case there might be another benefit, if they advised and information was incorrect, there may be some insurance they have to compensate.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide

the broker firm will have a complaints procedure that she should follow and then when she doesnt get satisfaction, go to the ombudsman.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Modern day mortgage brokers from my experience are unnecessary and will try to encourage you to buy products you don’t need for high costs just go directly to a bank or building society you will get better advice

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
If your situation is straightforward, you have a large deposit, a good credit history and there’s nothing unusual about the property you’re buying, there might not be a need for a broker.

Having said that, if your circumstances have any subtlety or nuance at all, a broker is a good friend to have. Look for brokers that say they are independent, full market, and that aren’t trying to gouge a fee out of you. All brokers get a commission for matching the borrower with the lender, lots of less scrupulous brokers charge the borrower as well. It does not make them a single percent better, or give them access to deals that those who don’t charge can’t get for you.

A good broker will know which lenders are strictest on certain criteria, and which are more flexible. They will know which lenders to go to if a portion of the property were to be of non-standard construction. They will know which lenders deduct more from your calculated “disposable income” for each kid you have. All stuff that doesn’t seem too important, until you’ve been declined twice by direct applications, and have no idea why, but now have two hard searches on your credit report, making each s subsequent application that little bit more fraught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Questions, is your daughter porting her mortgage with her current lender and which lender is it? If so, sometimes the redemption statement from the lender will quite often still have the Early Repayment Charge on it even if they won't need to pay it.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Questions, is your daughter porting her mortgage with her current lender and which lender is it? If so, sometimes the redemption statement from the lender will quite often still have the Early Repayment Charge on it even if they won't need to pay it.

That’s the word I was looking for Fareham....ported. Yes she has. It’s from the Halifax but of course has been included for within the solicitors fee. I just thought something was amiss to be talking about this at such a stage.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I pay £300 per renewal every 2 years and the packages my broker finds are always about £500 cheaper than I can get hold of direct. Plus they do all the leg work for me

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
That’s the word I was looking for Fareham....ported. Yes she has. It’s from the Halifax but of course has been included for within the solicitors fee. I just thought something was amiss to be talking about this at such a stage.

Right, in that case then she hopefully shouldn't need to pay the early repayment charge as Halifax allow porting without applying a charge. This is not unusual though, it happens quite a lot with lenders and solicitors. The solicitor requests a redemption statement from the lender and they just send it back assuming it's just going to be paid off so the charge would apply, that department wouldn't pick up that your daughter is porting the mortgage and I assume applying for additional funds on top (again, I'm assuming she's applying for the extra funds with Halifax?). The solicitor will then just send out the completion statement with this charge applied. The broker doesn't see this so wouldn't necessarily know it's been applied in error.

If your daughter and the solicitor check her mortgage offer, then it should state on there that there will be two separate mortgage products but it won't necessarily state that she is porting her first product which is where the confusion comes in. The broker should get on the phone to the solicitor and tell them, or probably best, email them to confirm they are porting a product so there should be no charge. The solicitor should then send out a new completion statement.

Let me know how she gets on but hopefully she won't need to pay this. As mentioned previously, I come across this a lot.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I'll add to the mix that I don't like filling in forms at the best of times and so to have someone say "sign here, here and here... right you're done" is very attractive to me.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I use a broker whenever I remortgage and I suppose just like any service, it's a matter of luck finding a good one. I found mine through word of mouth. The last time I remortgaged because of the package I chose he earned his commission from the provider, I think.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

If she has the original evidence that they clearly stated that, make a complaint then court claim if no joy once this transaction has been completed. Perhaps putting in writing the complaint now.

They have PII and are regulated.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Team 'do it yourself' here.

Moved last year for the first time so was always going to stay with same provider but have previously done all remortgages myself.

On the move last year they bolted on the new mortgage and adjusted the terms of my other mortgage to bring it all in line on terms. Certainly shouldn't need to pay any sort of redemption fee.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I use a broker whenever I remortgage and I suppose just like any service, it's a matter of luck finding a good one. I found mine through word of mouth. The last time I remortgaged because of the package I chose he earned his commission from the provider, I think.

[MENTION=9708]Farehamseagull[/MENTION] showing that NSC can be a power for good once again, hope it sort's [MENTION=5306]Questions[/MENTION] daughter :thumbsup:

You can take the luck out by asking if anyone knows of a good broker on NSC and then await the deluge of replies, >90% of which may be very similar :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here