Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Local vineyards

Dec 29, 2011
The real answer is weather and land value. Every other factor pales into insignificance when accounting for these two factors. And it will never improve as both factors are fixed in the long term.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
My wife and I get through 3 to 5 bottles a week and however good can not justify the cost of English wine

Iford Albion

Jul 30, 2017
Interesting. I drove past Rathfinny a couple of times earlier in the month when I was down and saw that they did an organised tour. Anyone heard good/bad things about it?

TNBA

TTF

Rathfinny is impressive in a very Californian sort of way. Big investment and some decent wines but some of the smaller producers are more established and perhaps more interesting in terms of their history and product. I love Ridgeview and Breaky bottom.

BTW Nyetimber are rumoured to be behind the English sparkling Grand vintage brut 2010 sold by Morrison's. Superb and an absolute steal at 25 quid given the quality. Sussex Krug. Fill your boots.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I recently visited Artelium in Streat and cannot recommend it highly enough, absolutely superb. We did the tour which was brief but informative and then had the pleasure of sampling the wine. It was all good. Will be treating myself at Christmas to some of their wine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Someone planted a field of vines at the foot of the Downs just north of Shoreham a few years ago, I'd expect they have just harvested their first crop. . . I have wondered how it will succeed as it can be a windy spot, which is not ideal.

I have 4 vines in my back garden . . .haven't taken full advantage the last few years and the crop has been average, but made 11 bottles a few years back, very labour intensive, but fun. and free wine, almost!

vines.jpg

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Barnsgate Manor, just outside Crowborough, used to do that with Muller-Thurgau grapes. The winery was owned by the Pieroth company. We used to buy a lot when I was younger. However, Barnsgate Manor has gone bust. I don't know whether the winery was still going, but they were running a wedding and hospitality business there, and I suppose the pandemic finished them off.

Has anyone on here tried the wines from Kingscote Vineyard, just outside East Grinstead? It's very local to me, but it's only my mother and me at home. She can't really drink much wine because of medication, and I'm really a beer drinker.

I'm in West Hoathly and use Kingscote quite a lot although mainly buying their French rose. The Kingscote sparkling is really good but the still stuff is an acquired taste I would say.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Someone planted a field of vines at the foot of the Downs just north of Shoreham a few years ago, I'd expect they have just harvested their first crop. . . I have wondered how it will succeed as it can be a windy spot, which is not ideal.

I have 4 vines in my back garden . . .haven't taken full advantage the last few years and the crop has been average, but made 11 bottles a few years back, very labour intensive, but fun. and free wine, almost!

View attachment 141463

I spotted that a couple of months ago, but couldn't find out anything about the owners or their intentions. I have seen a couple of vineyards have been asking for volunteers for harvesting for next week.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I spotted that a couple of months ago, but couldn't find out anything about the owners or their intentions. I have seen a couple of vineyards have been asking for volunteers for harvesting for next week.

That sounds like it could be a little bit of fun and some useful graft at the same time. Used to do berry picking in Perthshire in the Summer as a nipper. Got any links?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
That sounds like it could be a little bit of fun and some useful graft at the same time. Used to do berry picking in Perthshire in the Summer as a nipper. Got any links?

Not to hand sorry.

Wiston Winery and Sugruesouthdowns both mentioned food and wine in exchange for work. I'm off to Barcelona on Sunday, otherwise this might have been of interest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here