Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Players At Euro 2020 - Bottles Gone

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
So I guess the flag shaggers were right - these footballers are a bunch of capitalism-hating Marxists...

In all seriousness, I think it is remarkable how footballers no longer tow the line. Long may it continue.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
So I guess the flag shaggers were right - these footballers are a bunch of capitalism-hating Marxists...

In all seriousness, I think it is remarkable how footballers no longer tow the line. Long may it continue.

I actually don't think its a case of them bucking the trend, more a case of them cocking a snoot at Uefa, who get that sponsorship money.
Not for one minute do I think they are revolutionary reactionist, many, many of them take a pretty penny from dubious sources be it sponsorship or free holidays to dodgy countries with questionable human rights ethoses.

Makes them seem cool though to move a bottle of coke....

Not

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It’s a nice trend… but slightly hypocritical. They still seem to happily accept sponsorship deals with the soft drink companies.

Some do, some dont. I dont think Cristiano Ronaldo got a sponsorship with any soft drink company as he has repeatedly started his dislike for Coca-Cola etc.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Some do, some dont. I dont think Cristiano Ronaldo got a sponsorship with any soft drink company as he has repeatedly started his dislike for Coca-Cola etc.

Well he’s got a sponsorship deal with KFC and used to have a deal with Pepsi if I’m not wrong.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I actually don't think its a case of them bucking the trend, more a case of them cocking a snoot at Uefa, who get that sponsorship money.
Not for one minute do I think they are revolutionary reactionist, many, many of them take a pretty penny from dubious sources be it sponsorship or free holidays to dodgy countries with questionable human rights ethoses.

Not

Quite. especially given so many of them play for and get paid by clubs owned by some of the nastiest on the planet.

not something that is often mentioned when discussing players movements . . . we have an NDP for players, not so many player who abide by the NDP when selecting clubs!

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
It’s a nice trend… but slightly hypocritical. They still seem to happily accept sponsorship deals with the soft drink companies.

Some footballers have moved bottles, some footballers have sponsorship deals with soft drink companies and brewer. Unless it is the same footballers there is nothing hypocritical.

Edit: I've just read your comment about Ronaldo having a Pepsi deal. In that case, then yes it is a bit hypocritical.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

Not

I think it is as simple as them being expected to be complicit in advertising a product they don't agree with (Ronaldo has been openly critical of sugary soft drinks and Pogba is a Muslim and doesn't drink or want to endorse a beer company). Growing up in the early noughties, no player would've made any gesture showing an opinion on anything at all. They aren't saints for removing a Coke bottle - just good to see that the current generation aren't sitting there as placid empty vessels that just kick a ball. We are all hypocrites after all, especially when it comes to consumerism.

I'm definitely not saying that Pogba and Ronaldo are going to lead the revolution and bring down capitalism; to think footballers were secret Marxists who were actively trying to undermine the capitalist status quo through symbolic gestures would be mental...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
How hypocritical - UEFA criticises the chairmen of the ESL clubs for being greedy, then place bottles of Heineken and Coke in front of players and managers.

In terms of mixed messages, Lionel Messi can currently been seen munching carrots for Beko fridges and drinking Pepsi Max - a drink laced with artificial sweeteners.

Football: Show me the f**cking money!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
How hypocritical - UEFA criticises the chairmen of the ESL clubs for being greedy, then place bottles of Heineken and Coke in front of players and managers.

In terms of mixed messages, Lionel Messi can currently been seen munching carrots for Beko fridges and drinking Pepsi Max - a drink laced with artificial sweeteners.

Football: Show me the f**cking money!

The footballers are different people and might make different decisions.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There will have been millions of impressionable little kids who saw Ronaldo push those coke bottles away and pick up a bottle of water instead. It's a powerful message that in a few seconds probably made more of an impact than a year's worth of public health campaigns would. All credit to the fella :clap2:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
There will have been millions of impressionable little kids who saw Ronaldo push those coke bottles away and pick up a bottle of water instead. It's a powerful message that in a few seconds probably made more of an impact than a year's worth of public health campaigns would. All credit to the fella :clap2:

Hypocrisy aside I do agree with this.

It’s a refreshing stance to see from an elite player (no pun intended).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here