Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] To Avoid Potter Bashing - The Staying Up Tracker - season 21-22 Final Update - 11 ABOVE

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Thanks guys. I didnt realise 2019 was quite that close!

whatever the actual dates it looks like sometime in March is the earliest, and this season there is a possibility we did it in December (I think a win over Palace will be the actual date)

Its difficult to not get over confident this time round, and I keep telling myself its 40 points-but I dont really believe that.

Unfortunately 2019 was very close, the pundits frequently quoted we were sleep walking toward relegation which we nearly did.

The good news about that was it sparked a change in manager and now look what's happened........(despite what some say)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Unfortunately 2019 was very close, the pundits frequently quoted we were sleep walking toward relegation which we nearly did.

The good news about that was it sparked a change in manager and now look what's happened........(despite what some say)

Yup. We were clearly in a downward spiral. Our squad was ageing, slow and (comparatively) unathletic. None of those now apply -- and I think that might just be Potter's greatest achievement.
For all Hughton achieved for us, he lacked flexibility in our set-up, and was increasingly being found out by PL managers. We were lucky to get those three 1-0s in a row in Oct/Nov, which contributed enormously to our survival. We were poor in those games, but displayed the delightful doggedness and steel that CH brought to us.
I'm not a big fan of calling for sacking managers, but turned against CH after the Cardiff and Muff dives. Bloom played the situation brilliantly, however.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Just for comparative purposes, the team that lost 5-0 to Bournemouth (I really thought we were going down at that point) was:

Ryan

Montoya
Duffy
Dunk
Bernardo

Bissouma
Stephens
Propper

Knocky (red card)
Andone
Locadia

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just for comparative purposes, the team that lost 5-0 to Bournemouth (I really thought we were going down at that point) was:

Ryan

Montoya
Duffy
Dunk
Bernardo

Bissouma
Stephens
Propper

Knocky (red card)
Andone
Locadia

Interesting - we've upgraded (or improved the incumbent - Bissouma for example) in arguably every position except perhaps Dunk, and in his case Burn has covered the absence magnificently

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Ryan

Montoya
Duffy
Dunk
Bernardo

Bissouma
Stephens
Propper

Knocky (red card)
Andone
Locadia

I still maintain that CH had lost the dressing room in the Saints, Muff, Cardiff games. He did enough to get it back for Spurs, Wolves and Newcastle though. God that was a depressing few months, for us and the players imo.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...outh-cherries-turn-up-heat-on-10-man-seagulls

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But it is late and I am a little tired so may check again in the morning if no one else comes along to correct. Might even check goal difference to see if we were safe earlier in 2018/19 on goal difference...

So Double checking:

2017/18
201718.png
https://www.northstandchat.com/show...E-STAYING-UP&p=8444556&viewfull=1#post8444556
Tracker shows the Arsenal game as when we reached 34 points.

18th place had 33 points
We reached 34 on: 3rd March 2018 beating Arsenal.

2018/19
201819.png
https://www.northstandchat.com/show...date-5-below&p=8887690&viewfull=1#post8887690
Tracker shows the Newcastle game as when we reached 35 points.

18th place had 34 points
We reached 35 on: 27th April 2019 following a draw with Newcastle

We reached 34 points on 20th April 2019. Cardiff ended the season with -35 GD, we ended with -25, so could it be argued we were safe a week earlier?

2019/20
201920.png
https://www.northstandchat.com/show...me-38-UPDATE&p=9436291&viewfull=1#post9436291
Tracker shows us going from 33 to 36 points with victory over Norwich. To note, that was the season football stopped for Covid. There were 6 games remaining that season. Over the other seasons that would have been 7th-20th April.

18th place had 34 points
We reached 36 on: 4th July 2020 following victory over Norwich.

2020/21
202021.png
https://www.northstandchat.com/show...pdate-1-OVER&p=9872876&viewfull=1#post9872876
Tracker shows us getting 29 following the victory over Southampton.

18th place had 28 points
We reached 29 on: 14th March 2021 following victory over Southampton

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I reckon there’s a decent chance that we’re safe already.

In reality quite probably, but complacency is not a good thing.

I'd be suprised if Naarch move off the bottom, but of the nailed down 4 at present I don't see Newcastle staying as bad, I guess we'll have a better idea at the end of the month. Then theres the question of who has a bad run, . . . Hopefully we've had ours!

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
So Double checking:

2017/18
View attachment 143368
https://www.northstandchat.com/show...E-STAYING-UP&p=8444556&viewfull=1#post8444556
Tracker shows the Arsenal game as when we reached 34 points.

18th place had 33 points
We reached 34 on: 3rd March 2018 beating Arsenal.

2018/19
View attachment 143369
https://www.northstandchat.com/show...date-5-below&p=8887690&viewfull=1#post8887690
Tracker shows the Newcastle game as when we reached 35 points.

18th place had 34 points
We reached 35 on: 27th April 2019 following a draw with Newcastle

We reached 34 points on 20th April 2019. Cardiff ended the season with -35 GD, we ended with -25, so could it be argued we were safe a week earlier?

2019/20
View attachment 143370
https://www.northstandchat.com/show...me-38-UPDATE&p=9436291&viewfull=1#post9436291
Tracker shows us going from 33 to 36 points with victory over Norwich. To note, that was the season football stopped for Covid. There were 6 games remaining that season. Over the other seasons that would have been 7th-20th April.

18th place had 34 points
We reached 36 on: 4th July 2020 following victory over Norwich.

2020/21
View attachment 143371
https://www.northstandchat.com/show...pdate-1-OVER&p=9872876&viewfull=1#post9872876
Tracker shows us getting 29 following the victory over Southampton.

18th place had 28 points
We reached 29 on: 14th March 2021 following victory over Southampton

Interestingly, the thing that strikes me about these tables is the teams that have gone down and not come back. We constantly hear that relegated PL teams are at a massive advantage in the Championship (and they are) and just come straight back up. But over those seasons Stoke, Swansea, Huddersfield, Cardiff and Sheff Utd have gone down and shown no sign of coming back. Norwich, West Brom, Bournemouth and Fulham more yo-yo-ish obviously, but interesting how many clubs just sink.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
As we're talking about stats and facts, here's a question for you:

What's the record for the number of seasons a team has stayed in the PL after being promoted to it for the first time?

The Albion have obviously survived 'second season syndrome' and have done, IMO, very well to stay up. But always in the back of my mind I expect them to go down one year. I just hope it's not for a while!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

What's the record for the number of seasons a team has stayed in the PL after being promoted to it for the first time?

The Albion have obviously survived 'second season syndrome' and have done, IMO, very well to stay up. But always in the back of my mind I expect them to go down one year. I just hope it's not for a while!

Quick look at the table would suggest that we could hold the record for number of seasons in the PL upon first promotion to it, if we stay up this season?

Didn’t Plucky go down after 5 years?

Palace, Burnley, Saints, Wolves, Newcastle, Villa, Leeds, Leicester (?), West Ham ((?) have all been here before. Just leaving the big boys that have been here since it was formed

Last edited:

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
Quick look at the table would suggest that we could hold the record for number of seasons in the PL upon first promotion to it, if we stay up this season?

Palace, Burnley, Saints, Wolves, Newcastle, Villa, Leicester (?), West Ham ((?) have all been here before.

Newcastle got promoted in the first season of the premier league and stayed there for sixteen years. However this assumes that football didn’t exist before then!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

I think its Fulham who did 13 seasons having been promoted to the PL for the first time in 2000/01.

edit (after Newcastle 16 - see above)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Palace, Burnley, Saints, Wolves, Newcastle, Villa, Leeds, Leicester (?), West Ham ((?) have all been here before. Just leaving the big boys that have been here since it was formed?

Maybe City on reflection, were they original members?

Unless a now-relegated or re-promoted team managed longer in their first stint?

Edit: as pointed out above...

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Palace, Burnley, Saints, Wolves, Newcastle, Villa, Leeds, Leicester (?), West Ham ((?) have all been here before. Just leaving the big boys that have been here since it was formed

If you’re going to be wrong, best to be really wrong as subsequent posts have pointed out :dunce:

My excuse is that I took absolutely no interest in the PL until just before we got here

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Its not quite the same but i always think (sorry for the blasphemy here) its impressive that Palace are now in their 9th consecutive season since beating us in the play offs and have probably secured a 10th.
What if we'd gone up with Gus that season ? Would we still be there ? (probably for another thread)

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Unless a now-relegated or re-promoted team managed longer in their first stint?

Edit: as pointed out above...

Apart from Newcastle and Fulham as mentioned above West Ham stayed for 10 seasons after being promoted to the PL for it's second ever season. Swansea managed 7 seasons.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Its not quite the same but i always think (sorry for the blasphemy here) its impressive that Palace are now in their 9th consecutive season since beating us in the play offs and have probably secured a 10th.

...like dogshit-laced chewing gum on the sole/soul of the Premier League.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Love this tracker, so thought I'd share another worthy comparison of how we have fared after 19 games in each of our previous PL seasons.

What a time to be an Albion fan! :albion2:

[tweet]1478302632817176577[/tweet]

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Probably going down one year, it happens to almost every club. But if Brighton would have gone down in the first or second season it could have been a rough task to go up again. At this point, if Brighton went down, I think the academy, the stadium, the economical value of the squad etc. would almost certainly guarantee the club to bounce up within a few years. Going to be - at worst - a yoyo club as long as TB is in charge, I think.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Love this tracker, so thought I'd share another worthy comparison of how we have fared after 19 games in each of our previous PL seasons.

What a time to be an Albion fan! :albion2:

[tweet]1478302632817176577[/tweet]

Excellent, and a good twitter account to follow. They have also done the same comparison by points. Which interestingly broadly reflects what the tracker thought would happen this season and last.

Attachments

• Points graph game 19.jpg
    Points graph game 19.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 327

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here