Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Suomi vs Россия, Türkiye vs Cymru, Italia vs Schweiz/Suisse/Svizzera/Svizra

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The attacking movement from this Italy side is on a different level to anyone else so far, they look like a well drilled club side.

Shows Southgates style for the dinosaur style it is, who knows we might get lucky and do a Burnley on Italy later in the competition.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Suomi vs Россия, Türkiye vs Cymru, Italia vs Schweiz/Suisse/Svizzera/Svizra

France v Italy final.

Italy have beaten a woeful Turkish team and the easy beat Swiss

If we beat the Jocks will we be in the final too ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think the last 4 if it’s possible will be Us, Belgium, Italy and France. Sticks neck out as far as possible. :ohmy:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The attacking movement from this Italy side is on a different level to anyone else so far, they look like a well drilled club side.

Shows Southgates style for the dinosaur style it is, who knows we might get lucky and do a Burnley on Italy later in the competition.

I don't think it's as simple as that.

Southgate came in when things couldn't get any worse. A poor Euros followed by the Fat Sam debacle. He changed a few simple things. Bringing through players from the lower age groups as part of "Team England", 5/3 at the back, lots of work on set pieces. Then he got lucky with the 2018 draw and how that played out.

Then the expectation was really on.

Two problems. First, we've now reached the semis of a World Cup (and that's the benchmark). Second, all those player coming through (or doing well in the EPL) seem to play in the same position. Several right backs, copious "XAM" but terrible keepers, average centre backs, no left back at all at times and only Kane up front. So he goes safety first and picks as many of the players who won't let him down to cover the obvious gaps.

Dan Ashworth was part of much of that and got a job with us on the back of it. I say that not as snark. I think we were fresher in 2018, even though we did a job on Croatia at the weekend.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I've got 3-0 in the Score Predictor, so you can take your foot off the pedal now lads.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Nice Italian job.

Bye bye dull dull Switzerland for yet another tournament, all being well. And good riddance!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've got 3-0 in the Score Predictor, so you can take your foot off the pedal now lads.

Annoyingly I had 2-1 (1-0) so correct HT score and correct number of goals - just not correctly distributed.

I shouldn't complain as I had Wales almost 100% correct with the exception of Yellow Cards. The first time I've been annoyed by too many players getting involved in 'handbags'.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Annoyingly I had 2-1 (1-0) so correct HT score and correct number of goals - just not correctly distributed.

I shouldn't complain as I had Wales almost 100% correct with the exception of Yellow Cards. The first time I've been annoyed by too many players getting involved in 'handbags'.
I had my Joker on this one as well, so very satisfied with the result.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
You can only beat what's in front of you etc etc, but Italy look much more exciting than past teams, coming from an Italy fan.

Them and France have played best of the 'top' teams so far, the only game I've not enjoyed is Wales'first one so far.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I don't think it's as simple as that.

Southgate came in when things couldn't get any worse. A poor Euros followed by the Fat Sam debacle. He changed a few simple things. Bringing through players from the lower age groups as part of "Team England", 5/3 at the back, lots of work on set pieces. Then he got lucky with the 2018 draw and how that played out.

Then the expectation was really on.

Two problems. First, we've now reached the semis of a World Cup (and that's the benchmark). Second, all those player coming through (or doing well in the EPL) seem to play in the same position. Several right backs, copious "XAM" but terrible keepers, average centre backs, no left back at all at times and only Kane up front. So he goes safety first and picks as many of the players who won't let him down to cover the obvious gaps.

Dan Ashworth was part of much of that and got a job with us on the back of it. I say that not as snark. I think we were fresher in 2018, even though we did a job on Croatia at the weekend.

I’m not arguing anything you say isn’t true, but coaching wise, we are miles behind the levels of that Italian side, we have a similar quality player, if not even better, and we play anti football style. The Italian attacking phases and movement is pure coaching quality, they look like an oiled machine.

Just watching that makes you realise how far we are behind in our style of play, I’d compare it to us under Hughton compared to under Potter.

All I want is an England team to play with attacking flair and freedom, we have Foden, Mount and Grealish and who have been 3 of the best attacking players in Europe this year.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

There's no comparison. Italy have crushed Switzerland, 3-0 flattered the Swiss. We sneaked past Croatia

(Switzerland are one place above Croatia in the world rankings), When we start winning by three goals against top 20 teams, we can start dreaming of finals.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
There's no comparison. Italy have crushed Switzerland, 3-0 flattered the Swiss. We sneaked past Croatia

(Switzerland are one place above Croatia in the world rankings), When we start winning by three goals against top 20 teams, we can start dreaming of finals.

Let me be clear before starting. I'm loving this Italian team. I don't care who they've played so far, Italy have been a joy to watch! I'm convinced they'll go far in this tournament.

But come on, Switzerland a top 20 team and one place above Croatia in world rankings :lolol: . That may well be true, but it tells us the sum total of feck all. Switzerland are a truly dreadful team, always have been, and still are.

In fact, isn't it the Swiss who like to play lots of friendlies against minnows to up their FIFA ranking? Or is that Austria? Or am I just imagining that whole thing?

One thing's for absolute certain. Croatia are a far better team than Switzerland. Even now that they're perhaps a little beyond their peak.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I’m not arguing anything you say isn’t true, but coaching wise, we are miles behind the levels of that Italian side, we have a similar quality player, if not even better, and we play anti football style.

I love this new Italy team. Spectacular in possession and breaking forward.

But are we (England) really playing “anti football style”? I’m not a Southgate super fan but that seems a bit extreme to me.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I love this new Italy team. Spectacular in possession and breaking forward.

But are we (England) really playing “anti football style”? I’m not a Southgate super fan but that seems a bit extreme to me.

We play for set pieces, attack slowly with no rhythm or intensity, normally play 5 at the back and defend deep.

England are basically Burnley, but what excuse for playing that type of football with the players England have?

For me watching other teams this tournament, has really made it shine out just how backwards Southgate is.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
One thing's for absolute certain. Croatia are a far better team than Switzerland. Even now that they're perhaps a little beyond their peak.

I disagree. I do agree about rankings being an unreliable indicator but I think that Switzerland look a slightly better team than Croatia (I don't think either look that great TBH but the Swiss do occasionally look threatening.

But the point is that the Italians steamrollered the Swiss, while England limped past the Croats. The contrast between two teams playing opponents at a broadly similar level couldn't be greater.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Suomi vs Россия, Türkiye vs Cymru, Italia vs Schweiz/Suisse/Svizzera/Svizra

We play for set pieces, attack slowly with no rhythm or intensity, normally play 5 at the back and defend deep.

England are basically Burnley, but what excuse for playing that type of football with the players England have?

For me watching other teams this tournament, has really made it shine out just how backwards Southgate is.

I’m not super convinced by Southgate the tactician. But I do think he has a lot of good qualities as a leader, a statesman and great man management as a coach to young players.

There are certainly things I disagree with him on. But I can’t agree we play anti football.

I also think we overrate ourselves a bit as we always do. Do you really think we’re that good? We have tons of world class options up front. At the back? Severely lacking IMO. Including the goalkeeper. And I like Kelvin Phillips, but we’re also lacking other options In that role aside from Declan and a half crocked Henderson.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I disagree. I do agree about rankings being an unreliable indicator but I think that Switzerland look a slightly better team than Croatia (I don't think either look that great TBH but the Swiss do occasionally look threatening.

But the point is that the Italians steamrollered the Swiss, while England limped past the Croats. The contrast between two teams playing opponents at a broadly similar level couldn't be greater.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Croatia and Switzerland then.

I'd be surprised if Switzerland manage to score more than one goal against a poor Turkey team. They rarely score more than one goal in a game in major tournaments anyway.

Remains to be seen what Croatia will do against Scotland and Czech Rep.

If Croatia were to play Switzerland right now. My money would definitely be on Croatia.

We got 3pts against Croatia, admittedly without dazzling. I wouldn't dare compare our performance to that of Italy's so far. They are miles apart, I agree. But that's our first game in the tournament. I'm happy to take those 3pts and see where we go from here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here