Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Advice on asking about dead relatives

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
My Dad died a few years back from cancer related illnesses, but was always coy about speaking about his parents. His elderly mother died in my lifetime when I was a child and knew her (albeit suffering badly with dementia and in full time care), but his father died when he was a mid teenager.

He has a living younger brother, and he and my aunt call semi regularly to check up. Next time they call, I wanted to breach the subject with him. To ask about my Grandad, what he did, just general stuff.

I'm not quite sure how to do this, basically. Has anyone else got any advice?

Last edited:

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
If you have children or hope to have children , maybe you could be asking on their behalf for their future knowledge.
Also maybe list some questions in advance that you could leave with them?
It might also be useful to establish who has his birth cert and wedding cert etc.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
You could start by saying you were thinking about doing one of those family tree sites and wondered if they could give you info like military service, past occupations and places he's lived then that might progress into more conversation.

I'd suspect though that your dad was probably coy for a reason and if it affected him it may have also affected your uncle so he may also be resistant to open up.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
My Dad died a few years back from cancer related illnesses, but was always coy about speaking about his parents. His elderly mother died in my lifetime when I was a child and knew her (albeit suffering badly with dementia and in full time care), but his father died when he was a mid teenager.

He has a living younger brother, and he and my aunt call semi regularly to check up. Next time they call, I wanted to breach the subject with him. To ask about my Grandad, what he did, just general stuff.

I'm surmising but assuming there are potentially skeletons in the closet?

I have the same issue, my Uncle died many years ago and he is almost never mentioned. I think he was gay but I've not been brave enough to ask my parents or maybe my sister who might have similar thoughts.

Good luck.

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
I'd just take it easy and ask casually first. Start by talking about what you remember, good times, funny stories about your Dad and his Mum and judge the reaction when you ask about your Grandad. Any hint of reluctance don't press or push it.

As they call in quite regularly I'm sure they'll be fine, and probably happy to share memories.

Good luck, and yes why not do a family tree and search out birth certificates, census records etc. It's great fun and really fascinating.

I discovered my Grandad's name wasn't actually Tom like i'd thought and that he was wounded at Paschandale (only took minutes to find his war records). No wonder he drank so much beer.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
If you have a good relationship with them just ask them outright. If they're just doing it as they feel obliged too (so many families drift apart after a death) then tread carefully would be my advice.

You say your dad was coy about it. He may just have been one of the those people that don't open up and talk about family and there's nothing to hide or really be coy about....

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Looking at the answers so far, I agree with asking about a family tree. I wish I had asked when I was younger as there is only me and my brother left now and he knows less than I do.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
ASK !! I wish I had - not that I think there were any skeletons or anything but we've been trying to do a family tree and, whilst I've got quite a lot of stuff that my Dad had done there are gaps. I did manage to ask my aunt before she died and she provided a few things and I've had contact (on Ancestry) from cousins I knew nothing about. It can be a fascinating subject - it can also take up an awful lot of time and the summer isn't really the time to do it - the long winter evenings that start at about 3pm are much better for leaning over a computer ! Good luck

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I have an odd family tree due to adoption (mother) but also grandfather on my fathers side was an arse and went Awol. I know enough, although mot who my maternal grandfather is/was other than worked in a bank in Bognor after the war. . .Mt natural maternal grandmother only died in Bondai where she'd lived since '59, a few years ago just shy of 90. I lost my Dad 17 years ago very young, dnever got to ask him much about his childhood/youth. I don't think it was great.

You must ask, A subtle start may prove better than a blunt potentially difficult question.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Just ask outright with no build up or waffle. Family members aren’t around forever and before you know it, the chance is gone. Unfortunately, I know what I’m talking about on this one.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Anyone can request a death certificate of anyone. It will cost a bit but lifetime illnesses/issues causing death should show up on it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
ASK !! I wish I had - not that I think there were any skeletons or anything but we've been trying to do a family tree and, whilst I've got quite a lot of stuff that my Dad had done there are gaps. I did manage to ask my aunt before she died and she provided a few things and I've had contact (on Ancestry) from cousins I knew nothing about. It can be a fascinating subject - it can also take up an awful lot of time and the summer isn't really the time to do it - the long winter evenings that start at about 3pm are much better for leaning over a computer ! Good luck

Don't worry about possible skeletons. The shame often fades with time - indeed, might almost become a bit romantic/or like a badge of honour/or a sort of thrill like watching horror movies. I knew of one man who found that three of his ancestors had been hung for sheep stealing - and he made no secret of it - and another whose ancestor had been burned as a witch. He wrote a song about her!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I know next to nothing about my old mans side of the family. He "went out for a paper" when I was 11, so not much of a sh*t given about it since then.
Recently, an Auntie that I never even knew existed got in touch after seeing something about me on the Lewes Past FB page. She lives in Canada. The shock news, her husband, so my Uncle, is f*****g Palace!
Wrong uns that side of the family.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I know next to nothing about my old mans side of the family. He "went out for a paper" when I was 11, so not much of a sh*t given about it since then.
Recently, an Auntie that I never even knew existed got in touch after seeing something about me on the Lewes Past FB page. She lives in Canada. The shock news, her husband, so my Uncle, is f*****g Palace!
Wrong uns that side of the family.

I feel your pain !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here