Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Hungary v Portugal & France v Germany

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Tbf I think he is usually a lot better when playing for France where Kante and a strong defense make it a lot easier for him to just focus on what he does best, like looking for opening passes. In United he got too much defensive responsibility.

Undoubtedly. It’s going to be a lot easier for him with Kante alongside rather than Fred, McTominay or Matic. And previously Matuidi and now Rabiot/Tolisso also help him in that regard for France.

It’s not his fault though he’s had to play out of position at United so much and I think the stick he gets is wrong. Even taking that into account he generally plays well for them and had a brilliant season a couple of years ago but didn’t get much credit for it.

And he was outstanding for Juve when in his favoured position. He’s a genuine world class talent and unfairly pilloried in this country because he doesn’t appear to run around or put his foot in enough.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
So how did they let 66,000 fans in the stadium without masks and distancing but we remain in lockdown because there are 1000 people in hospital across the whole of GB?

Forgetting politics, they are 97th in the world for new cases (about 50 per day) and we are 9th (7,000+). I suspect they control their borders a lot better too and haven’t ‘let in’ the Delta variant either.

We’d be well on course to have 70,000 infections a day and 10,000 people in hospital if we started filling stadiums with 66k+ people at his precise moment. Have some patience and let the vaccination program progress to a much better place, the PM can stomach hundreds more deaths but not thousands, we’ll be back in capacity stadiums by the beginning of the EPL season because vaccines are effective (if enough people have had them).

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Were it not for Kante and Mbappe, I'd say France were about the same level as the other top teams at the Euros. It's those two that push them above the others.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
That Pogba is not popular and under rated on average user age of 60 NSC, is the least surprising news of the day but he is a quality player and was very good tonight.

I think Portugal are the only side who can stop France this tournament. Both equally capable of never playing extravagant, exciting football but smothering a game and then producing individual moments of brilliance to win it. Generally that’s what wins tournaments.

Think you have a blind spot where Pogba is concerned, he was bang average last night one pass apart. Normally agree with you, but not on this one (or Gross of course 😉).

Pogba rarely produces in the PL.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Tbf I think he is usually a lot better when playing for France where Kante and a strong defense make it a lot easier for him to just focus on what he does best, like looking for opening passes. In United he got too much defensive responsibility.

Robert Codner would look better playing in front of Kante, certainly doesn’t make Pogba anywhere near world class, but all opinions.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Think you have a blind spot where Pogba is concerned, he was bang average last night one pass apart. Normally agree with you, but not on this one (or Gross of course ��).

Pogba rarely produces in the PL.

I mean pretty much everyone had him as their man of the match, including the companies that base their player ratings solely on stats... as you say, all opinions but there are some indications that the blind spot is not with Farehamseagull in this case..

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Not sure if I was watching a different game but I thought France were ordinary. They just sit back and hit you on the break with MBappe. They should improve as the tournament goes on but if they just play that way they will come unstuck

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Don't fancy playing against France after that performance, but Germany were poor

Germany had 62% possession, 10 shots to France 4, 7 chances created to France 4, 0.87 xG to France 0.26.

One mistake own goal did for Germany. If they hadn't taken off Gnabry and Havertz for two completely off colour subs I think they would have gone on and equalised.

I agree France were impressive at first but after they scored they just stopped playing.

Do that against a better attack and they'll come unstuck.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I mean pretty much everyone had him as their man of the match, including the companies that base their player ratings solely on stats... as you say, all opinions but there are some indications that the blind spot is not with Farehamseagull in this case..

Based solely on stats - there you go. More to football than that.

Perhaps I do, but when I watched him, his decison making was poor (goal aside), delayed passes, missed a simple header. Interestingly I wasn't the only one on NSC who felt that way.

Kante was head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch, but if the stats don't say it, can't be true......

But it is opinions, and [MENTION=9708]Farehamseagull[/MENTION] is a good judge in the main IMO.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
As much as it was lovely to see a full house in Budapest that was a super spreader event if ever I saw one and rates now are already too high.

Portugal were poor but they will improve, their record for a nation of 10m is breathtaking.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Based solely on stats - there you go. More to football than that.

Perhaps I do, but when I watched him, his decison making was poor (goal aside), delayed passes, missed a simple header. Interestingly I wasn't the only one on NSC who felt that way.

Kante was head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch, but if the stats don't say it, can't be true......

But it is opinions, and [MENTION=9708]Farehamseagull[/MENTION] is a good judge in the main IMO.

Another outstanding, man of the match performance from Pogba tonight OTM!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Tonight showed that major tournament football really is the pinnacle of drama. Phenomenal scenes.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Two great games. Let's hope ours against Germany next week is equally as good

Germany have a better side than us and gave performed at a higher standard in a tough group but we have a punchers chance, let's hope GSouth can work his magic and end 55 years of hurt by beating a major nation in a knockout game.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
One of those nights where every single goal changed the table. And there were eight of them; a true classic.

Think we can beat Germany with quick counter attacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here