Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] BBC Journalist harassed

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
When a government has got to power on a policy that explicitly dismissed experts in favour of opinions then it's sadly no surprise some people feel empowered to attack anyone who allows experts to be heard.

weve-had-enough-of-experts.jpg

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I’ve just read that story. Basically they are complaining about the scales used. This despite everyone knowing the daily infection and death rates now and 3 months ago and therefore knowing we do not have the same scale of problem at the moment. The Government also has not made this claim and has made it quite clear that the final restrictions are being kept to allow more people to become vaccinated. The Telegraph article seems designed to feed conspiracy theories and seems to be working in some cases.

No it didn’t it was just provoking debate about which there has been absolutely zero during the pandemic.

Anyone who disagrees with anything scientists or the government say is a “conspiracy theorist”. You could argue at what point to you draw the line? When do you say we have to live with this? To date hospitalisations and deaths have been minimal since reopening. The vulnerable have been vaccinated and the NHS is coping fine. The papers are full of scientists “warning” of what “might” happen.

To be clear, I’m not saying I agree with all of this but it is valid point of view which needs to be debated. There’s nothing wrong with two way discussion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
2 blokes on mopeds stopped outside the Brighton centre yesterday and shouting "you're all going to die" at those of us queuing up..

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
No it didn’t it was just provoking debate about which there has been absolutely zero during the pandemic.

Anyone who disagrees with anything scientists or the government say is a “conspiracy theorist”. You could argue at what point to you draw the line? When do you say we have to live with this? To date hospitalisations and deaths have been minimal since reopening. The vulnerable have been vaccinated and the NHS is coping fine. The papers are full of scientists “warning” of what “might” happen.

To be clear, I’m not saying I agree with all of this but it is valid point of view which needs to be debated. There’s nothing wrong with two way discussion.

Scientists have modeled what might happen if we lift the remaining restrictions before a larger section of the population is double (or even single) vaccinated. The Government has listened to this advice and is doing its job by not risking lives. Where is the modeling that substantiates the opposite view ? It doesn’t exist, the rationale for the types of people who harassed the journalist is that their precious individual freedoms are being interfered with. I know people who think like this and my LinkedIn has even been infiltrated with their moans about their rights. An example being the comments on an article about Goldman Sachs requiring their employees in America to be vaccinated. No coherent arguments, just outrage about being told what to do.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

The scientific conmunity and government aren’t as one.

For starters, every time there’s some lifting of restrictions in the 4 nations, a phalanx of anti government or seeking-Covid-perfection scientists swamp the air and TV waves with barely veiled anger. Unsmiling, always with a domesday take on any decisions made. They seem to be given far more time than scientists such as Whitty, JVT or Dr Chris Smith who have a balanced view on Covid, other NHS pressures and living a life.

At the other of the spectrum, it’s quite right that Icke and other anti-vax vloggers don’t get mainstream time. They’re lying. They already have millions under their spell from youtube and facebook, folk not vaccinating because of the lies.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Scientists have modeled what might happen if we lift the remaining restrictions before a larger section of the population is double (or even single) vaccinated. The Government has listened to this advice and is doing its job by not risking lives. Where is the modeling that substantiates the opposite view ? It doesn’t exist, the rationale for the types of people who harassed the journalist is that their precious individual freedoms are being interfered with. I know people who think like this and my LinkedIn has even been infiltrated with their moans about their rights. An example being the comments on an article about Goldman Sachs requiring their employees in America to be vaccinated. No coherent arguments, just outrage about being told what to do.

You’ve missed my point.

That’s your opinion. We’re all entitled to have one, but there is another view. You may not agree with it, but it’s there.

I’m not taking either side, I’m just saying there needs to be debate.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The scientific conmunity and government aren’t as one.

For starters, every time there’s some lifting of restrictions in the 4 nations, a phalanx of anti government or seeking-Covid-perfection scientists swamp the air and TV waves with barely veiled anger. Unsmiling, always with a domesday take on any decisions made. They seem to be given far more time than scientists such as Whitty, JVT or Dr Chris Smith who have a balanced view on Covid, other NHS pressures and living a life.

At the other of the spectrum, it’s quite right that Icke and other anti-vax vloggers don’t get mainstream time. They’re lying. They already have millions under their spell from youtube and facebook, folk not vaccinating because of the lies.

The reason Whitty etc aren’t given air time is because they don’t need to be. They only come out when the Government feels the country needs reassuring.

I’m not saying this is right or wrong but I don’t agree with your view that those oppose the restrictions are given more airtime. This all being very carefully managed by the spin doctors.

Is this right or wrong? I don’t know.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
You’ve missed my point.

That’s your opinion. We’re all entitled to have one, but there is another view. You may not agree with it, but it’s there.

I’m not taking either side, I’m just saying there needs to be debate.

The post I originally responded to referenced a Telegraph article that was claiming the figures had been misrepresented. Upon closer reading their gripe was about the scales used on the graph. The article claimed the scales used yesterday misrepresented the data and the implication was that the problem was being exaggerated to extend the restrictions. This premise is wrong. Everyone knows 1) that the overall figures are lower than 3 months ago and 2) that the reason for the delay is to get more people vaccinated. It’s difficult not to draw the conclusion that the article was mischievously stoking conspiracy theory.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The reason Whitty etc aren’t given air time is because they don’t need to be. They only come out when the Government feels the country needs reassuring.

I’m not saying this is right or wrong but I don’t agree with your view that those oppose the restrictions are given more airtime. This all being very carefully managed by the spin doctors.

Is this right or wrong? I don’t know.

I think those who want stricter restrictions and don’t get their way, the backseat drivers at ‘Independent’ Sage for example, get most air time.

My point is that it’s a wide spectrum of views, with the Johnson/Whitty/Vallance/JVT take on things getting a colossal shoeing from a media who thrive on stirring and looking for nay-sayers.

The media do not promote that view. They look for shite and hope it goes wrong.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
The best idea is not to listen to phone-in based radio stations because it is generally the deluded/mad/attention seeking/unemployed/lonely people who call in with their strange ideas. That is how Brexit happened...

Digressing, there was an incredible call on LBC at just after 1 today, in fact a couple of calls.

The main one was from a hypocritcal woman, fuming about the treatment of the young ..... no nightclubbing, her undergraduate daughter cheated by shoddy remote learning. I get all that, I totally emphasise with that age group.

Fair enough.

Then the real reason for her call. She's strongly anti vax for all young people, because "she'd read up an awful lot about it on the internet". Pretty beligerent about it. 18 to 22 year olds will be treated as genome guinea pigs.

It was pointed out that a vax programme should help open up possibilities eg real Uni teaching. Wouldn't listen, the call was terminated as she was looking for an anti-vax row.

The next caller was a bloke who was against the current restrictions "Without them, there'd only be a few deaths here and there". He also played down the January 2021 death toll, as it was only on a par with the flu in a normal year.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
When a government has got to power on a policy that explicitly dismissed experts in favour of opinions then it's sadly no surprise some people feel empowered to attack anyone who allows experts to be heard.

wrong subject to pick a fight on though...

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Digressing, there was an incredible call on LBC at just after 1 today, in fact a couple of calls.

The main one was from a hypocritcal woman, fuming about the treatment of the young ..... no nightclubbing, her undergraduate daughter cheated by shoddy remote learning. I get all that, I totally emphasise with that age group.

Fair enough.

Then the real reason for her call. She's strongly anti vax for all young people, because "she'd read up an awful lot about it on the internet". Pretty beligerent about it. 18 to 22 year olds will be treated as genome guinea pigs.

It was pointed out that a vax programme should help open up possibilities eg real Uni teaching. Wouldn't listen, the call was terminated as she was looking for an anti-vax row.

The next caller was a bloke who was against the current restrictions "Without them, there'd only be a few deaths here and there". He also played down the January 2021 death toll, as it was only on a par with the flu in a normal year.

[tweet]1404788531545972739[/tweet]

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1404788531545972739

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The best idea is not to listen to phone-in based radio stations because it is generally the deluded/mad/attention seeking/unemployed/lonely people who call in with their strange ideas. That is how Brexit happened...

For my sins, the more angry or conspiracy theorist the caller is, the more entertaining it is.

James O’Brien clashing with anti-vax disciples of Icke left me in crying in laughter.

Sorry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here