Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR at the Euros

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Must admit I've not really noticed it. In particular, I celebrated the Sterling goal and others (winning bets) spontaneously without a thought for it. Maybe it's not so bad.....

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I guess the answer is that VAR is essentially just technology. The problem comes with the interpretation, application and implementation of it.

Like you say, it has been pretty unobtrusive and uncontroversial in the Euros so far, as it was at the 2018 World Cup. Which leads me to the conclusion that the multitude of weekly issues in the PL is:

90% down to PGMOL incompetence and a desire to interfere in every on-field decision / non-decision
5% down to Laws that were drawn up decades before VAR had even been conceived
5% down to players (in the PL) looking to con refs with simulation

Percentages are probably a bit off but you get the picture.

Still would prefer VAR was binned though but I could live with it IF it was applied in PL games the way it seems to being applied in the EUROs

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Its been really smooth. I think UEFA & co knew that if VAR gets too much room and attention here, the public outcry would be too loud and they would perhaps need to scrap it, which they are not willing to do.

There's been lots of incidents that in the Premier League would have resulted in a two minute VAR break but that they just let go because it wasnt "clear and obvious". The penalty Denmark got against Finland for instance would have taken forever to sort out in the PL.

I'll never like VAR, but if its going to be around, this is the way it should be done.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Must admit I've not really noticed it. In particular, I celebrated the Sterling goal and others (winning bets) spontaneously without a thought for it. Maybe it's not so bad.....

Agreed, I was going to start a similar thread, but thought I must have just missed it.

Shows the level of incompetence that we have in this country when it comes to officiating, Absolutely miles behind the rest of Europe. We clearly have some very nerdy losers in charge at our end who want to pick up on every minor detail but not consider the practicalities and reviewing and changing every decision. all the games have flowed much better and very littler use of VAR has made it all the better.

The one thing I would say is we see 10 games every weekend, we certainly haven't seen the same amount of volume but the level of referring and the people behind VAR seems to be at a much higher level.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
VAR does seem to have been less obtrusive than in the Prem. What has struck me is that the refs have been less inclined to give a foul every time players come into contact and fall to the floor. Quite a few occasions where players have been ignored whilst they writhe on the floor so they simply get back up. Seems to have been some kind of directive because it's happened in every game I have seen. Loving it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
VAR does seem to have been less obtrusive than in the Prem. What has struck me is that the refs have been less inclined to give a foul every time players come into contact and fall to the floor. Quite a few occasions where players have been ignored whilst they writhe on the floor so they simply get back up. Seems to have been some kind of directive because it's happened in every game I have seen. Loving it.

The use of VAR in Russia in the WC seemed less intrusive too. I thought it was a good idea then. Pitchside monitors for the referees to check their decisions.
I don't think VAR itself is the problem but the application of it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
That is because almost everything to do with VAR - we seem to take that and change it slightly or not use it in the same ways as almost anyone else. Using English 'we know better than you' thing I guess

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Yup. Its another thing that has gone wrong with the PL over the years. Its easier to get a free-kick in the PL today than it is in Spain, Italy and Germany. I guess its all part of some "protect the stars" reasoning - "the stars bring the entertainment, the entertainment bring the money, so you better disallow and punish all physical play". Probably the same reason we rarely see any yellow cards for diving etc. - its bad for the Premier League brand and mainly punishes star players.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Has there actually been anything that’s needed VAR?

Only thing I can think of is the Denmark Pen (only one so far in euros oddly) and it was wrong in my view

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It's almost like the Premier League in deciding to go their own way have totally cocked it up (like loads of us said they would when they did it)

zeemeeuw

Apr 8, 2006
Somerset
Yes it's been great, clearly going with the on field decision, unless the referee has made a howler. It also looks like when the players try to buy a free kick, by throwing themselves to the floor, the refs are not in the mood to sell them one.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The standard of refereeing in general has been quite superb, I also thought the ref in the CL final was excellent. It certainly puts some of the EPL refs to shame.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Myself and quite a few others have been saying for ages that VAR is a necessity and worked well in the WC while others have ranted and gone miles overboard about football is lost etc, I'm not surprised at all that it is working well at the Euros.
I said all along it's the look at me bellends at Stockley Park, especially old mother Riley and the refs that are the problem.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Rugby use it well. The ref is in charge and he uses the Tech if he is unsure or to check a try. The referee is usually up with play and has a decent view of what took place if not they need to be humble enough to admit they didn't see it so will ask for VAR to check. What irritates me is when VAR tells the ref that he missed something and decides for him, If VAR thinks an infringement has taken place then the ref should be asked if he wishes to review it on the monitor

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here