Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GBNews: anyone watching?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Billionaire-funded propaganda? No thanks.

“We are proud to be British” says co-founder Andrew Neil.

Every single one of GB News’ major shareholders is based outside Great Britain.

It's a no from me.

GB News is desperately needed, we have a real shortage of foreign / non-dom billionaires infiltrating our media landscape

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
With information sources so polarised and change happening so rapidly I cannot see this as a long term success. Also, it's very construction means a large sector of the population will go nowhere near it.

On a personal level I have no interest, in the same way as if The Canary was funded to produce its own content. Those who hold positions solidly on the left or right are less in number than people think.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Billionaire-funded propaganda? No thanks.

“We are proud to be British” says co-founder Andrew Neil.

Every single one of GB News’ major shareholders is based outside Great Britain.

It's a no from me.

Whilst living in France, and commuting.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Colin Brazier and Mercy Muroki are doing an okay job impersonating Richard and Judy. Dan Wootton is a wanker. Tom Harwood likewise. As is Alex Phillips (Cambridge Analytica's Alex Phillips, not our Alex Phillips).

Firefox_Screenshot_2021-06-14T08-42-04.766Z.png

I doubt I'm going to be glued to it.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
With information sources so polarised and change happening so rapidly I cannot see this as a long term success. Also, it's very construction means a large sector of the population will go nowhere near it.

On a personal level I have no interest, in the same way as if The Canary was funded to produce its own content. Those who hold positions solidly on the left or right are less in number than people think.

Agree, if I want opinion I'll read the Mail or the Guardian opinion pages

News TV needs to be fact based, hopefully Ofcom keeps them in check

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Murdoch pulled out of launching a new news channel as he didn't see it as viable. I give Gammon Bait News a year tops.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I put it on for a while this morning just to see what it was like. Distracted from what they were saying by the fact it looks like they are streaming it using a potato, the sound is out of sync and kept varying and the set is depressingly dark. I will give it a try at some point to see what their content is about, but if they don't sort out these issues people are unlikely to stick with it.

Edited for accuracy.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Colin Brazier and Mercy Muroki are doing an okay job impersonating Richard and Judy. Dan Wootton is a wanker. Tom Harwood likewise. As is Alex Phillips (Cambridge Analytica's Alex Phillips, not our Alex Phillips).

View attachment 137645

A reality TV show contestant who is shacked up with a failed football chairman, a convicted drunk driver, a bloke who held a ream of paper instead of a tablet and a razor denier. Gone for the big hitters there, I see.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This launched last night and was more damp squib than space rocket. However, early days yet.

My initial impressions - and in fairness I don't think I was ever likely to be in their target market - are

- Andrew Neil has got to do a lot of the heavy lifting as he's the only heavyweight they've got

- they are very studio based and rely on their presenters generating viewer interest and loyalty. They are (to put it as kindly as I can) an eclectic mix

- they make a big play of being outside the London media bubble (er, the Beeb is now in Salford, guys), but have they got the resource to develop regional content that will engage anyone outside the region being looked at (e.g they have a 'Yorkshire' correspondent)

- it's hard to see the target market market (Red Wall?), as I suspect much of the target market isn't that interested in the news (if they are the silent majority perhaps it's because they aren't much engaged and never will be or want to be)

- there will be resource issues in that they will never have the reach of the BBC or Sky News; they can't and don't want to be a rolling news service and that leaves an awful lot of space to fill with talking heads (not sure how they will get sports coverage)

- the obsession with being anti-woke/proud to be British will only get them so far (and I'm not convinced that their voices have been hitherto unheard as many of their presenters crop up on the BBC and Sky). And when did good (upbeat) news sell more papers than bad?

- the could drive ratings by being Fox-type ranters but they don't want to and they are not allowed to (thank goodness)

- the more controversial they get, the more they risk upsetting advertisers

It's a ratings game ultimately. If they get the numbers, they get the advertisers. I don't think they'll get the numbers but we'll see.

Given that there must be some NSCers who are sympathetic to their cause (if our very own Bear Pit is any evidence), so any views, or even viewers?

Now, that's a great OP. Thanks for taking the time on this.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
A reality TV show contestant who is shacked up with a failed football chairman, a convicted drunk driver, a bloke who held a ream of paper instead of a tablet and a razor denier. Gone for the big hitters there, I see.

2 drink drivers in Stewart and Gallacher by my reckoning.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
There's only so much news to go around.

Yet another source, too much info?

I shall stick to my long-term stalwarts of The Mail and The Express for my daily facts.

This is a really interesting contribution. There's plenty of newspapers that are doing this sort of thing, and doing it well -- although the organs you mention and GB News have a somewhat limited target audience, despite their claims to represent the country.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Two convicted drunk drivers if you're going to be picky

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
2 drink drivers in Stewart and Gallacher by my reckoning.

Didn't know that one. That makes it even more delicious given how rabid the target audience would normally be over such things.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Two convicted drunk drivers if you're going to be picky

Yes - just looked up Mr Stewart. Seems like his job interview entailed calling a black man an "angry ape".

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's not for me but you have to admire the people behind it.

They identified a market, created a product for that market and will use that product to sell advertising space.

Smart business.

Yep. I can't tell you how glad I am that Andrew Neill has taken the country's temperature and decided that what we all need is more right wing news.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

View attachment 137645

So in full;

Alastair Stewart - drink driver, most recently seen at TalkRadio
Alex Phillips - Former UKIP press officer, formerly of TalkRadio and Cambridge Analytica
Andrew Doyle - created a Twitter character that ended up banned for hate speech on four separate occasions
Andrew Neil - editor of the Spectator, commutes to his British-centric news show from France, defended praising of Golden Dawn in the Spectator
Colin Brazier - alleged to have assaulted a female producer, famously seen tampering with luggage at the MH17 crash site in Ukraine
Dan Wootton - worked for every Murdoch publication going, was attacked by the Lancet and BMJ for previous works
Darren McCaffrey - doesn't seem to have much of an impression despite working for several media outlets
Gloria de Piero - has spent a lot of time working for various NewsUK radio shows (TalkRadio mostly) since quitting politics
Inaya Folarin Iman - only claim to fame seems to be she hates BLM
Kirsty Gallagher - drink driver, has displayed her excellent taste and judgement by shagging Lawrence Fox
Liam Halligan - Telegraph writer, criticised the axing of "This Week" (Neil's previous pet project, which I'm sure is unrelated)
Mercy Muroki - signed off the now discredited recent Government report on racism
Michelle Dewberry - just about the only failed Apprentice contestant, former Brexit party candidate
Nana Akua - CV seems incredibly thin on inspection
Neil Oliver - makes half-decent history and geography documentaries, seems to be another lockdown crank
Rebecca Huston - worked in digital at Reach PLC (used to be the Mirror group), not a lot about her online
Rosie Wright - formerly of "Christian Radio", whatever that is
Simon McCoy - seems to be the "star" of the show (alongside Stewart and Neil), other than voting Leave doesn't have a lot about his politics
Tom Harwood - formerly a member of "Turning Point UK" (the Rees-Mogg backed hard right youth group), worked for Guido Fawkes and the Telegraph

I dunno, there seems to be a bit of a type developing there...

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Kirsty Gallagher you say...

...Tell me more.

According to my very dull and liberal twitter feed there's more hate watching than actually watching.
Then publicizing it more by telling all us other yogurt sandal wearers what we're missing.

Here's a thought, maybe, just maybe, if it's not your thing stay away and leave it be.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I tried to watch it but the sound was too much too quiet.
I turned the sound up but I soon discovered that being able to hear what they were saying actually made things worse.

I turned over after five minutes but I appreciate it's early days so I will give it another try soon.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here