Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Scotland vs Czech Republic, Poland vs Slovakia, Sweden vs Spain

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Scotland currently got a fair bit of quality in their team and the game against Czech Republic should be pretty tight. Ondrej Kudelas ban from the incident against Rangers means that former Brighton player Ales Mateju made the Czech squad but he is unlikely to start the game.

Poland will be facing Slovakia and are expected to win against a defensively strong but offensively dire Slovakia in what should be a two-way or - if Slovakia can get a result tonight - three-way battle for the second place (behind Spain) in the group. Poland got some quality players but how good they are as a team remains to be seen. Jakub Moder is just on the fringe of the starting eleven and its probably 50/50 whether he starts or not. Jude Bellingham could lose his two day old record as the youngest player ever at a Euros, as Poland brought the couple of months younger Kacper Kozlowski to the tournament.

Sweden vs Spain is expected to be a very one-sided game. Both of the teams have had covid issues in the preparation with two key players from Sweden set to miss the game, and Zlatan Ibrahimovic got injured a few weeks before the tournament. Former Brighton trialist Jesper Karlsson is likely to replace Brighton transfer target Mattias Svanberg in the squad but is probably unlikely to be available today. Since Spain had to play an entirely different squad in their last friendly, Sanchez never got the chance to prove himself in a game, and is unlikely to start. Quality wise Spain should win with four or five goals but Swedish grit and experience is more likely to make it just two or three.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
C'mon Scotland!

Not expecting great things from Scotland tbh, the 1st 11 isn't bad, some real quality in there with Robertson, Tierney McTominay and McGinn the obvious standouts and some very promising youngsters coming through, might be a tournament too early for them, but if we have to wait another 23 years for the next one then the chance might never come, hopefully this is the thought that will inspire them and push them on.

They can beat the Czechs and have done recently so expecting a win today but equally, this is Scotland, we do like to make hard work of games we are expected to do well in.

Hoping Lyndon Dykes can provide the ammunition up front, he looks like he has a good partnership growing with Che (Mc)Adams and is a player i would be happy to see at the Albion, not prolific at QPR but is a bit Murrayesque in style and with better service, who knows.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
I hope Scotland get absolutely thrashed, can't stand all the hype on the telly etc. about them, to me they are just another foreign team that stand in England's way to the next round of the competition. The Scots in general always hate England and want us to lose and my feelings for them are the same.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Scotland or (NilPwa) to give them their Latin name have some exciting players , one of them knows Shania Twain so this could be Scotlands best chance ever of having to book more than 2 hotels at a major tournament.

Good luck to them I say .

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was in Paris on the first day of WC in 1998 when I witnessed something that has stuck in my mind that to me shows the small mindedness of Scotland fans (in fairness I know we can all be small minded in football )

They were wandering en masse down a busy street chanting "we hate England and we hate England" repeatedly, which is fine until you know that they were about to play the opening match of the World Cup against BRAZIL the current World Champions. My first and only thought was WTF? :lolol:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Good chance to scout England’s opponents in the group.

I’m slightly torn, I’d enjoy seeing Scotland do well, but 3 points today probably sets them up better for when they play us. So a draw may be my preferred result.

Even though they enjoy our defeats I’d be happy to see Scotland progress with us.

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
I give Scotland the same best wishes as they have for England, we have already done them a favour by taking them off the bottom of the group.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I was in Paris on the first day of WC in 1998 when I witnessed something that has stuck in my mind that to me shows the small mindedness of Scotland fans (in fairness I know we can all be small minded in football )

They were wandering en masse down a busy street chanting "we hate England and we hate England" repeatedly, which is fine until you know that they were about to play the opening match of the World Cup against BRAZIL the current World Champions. My first and only thought was WTF? :lolol:

I was at the Amex a couple of years ago and the crowd was singing, "Stand up if you hate Palace," which is fine until you know that they were actually playing LIVERPOOL at the time. My first and only thought was to STAND UP.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I've actually (just once) had a couple of Scotland fans, wish England well, and for us to WIN a World Cup match! ...

Myself and a work colleague had the misfortune to be stuck in Glasgow, when England played Argentina at the 2002 World Cup. We had to watch the game in a bar at a sports centre, and it wasn't particularly comfortable. the Scots far from pleased with England's great result.

That night, we went out for a few beers, and were treated to a fair bit more anti-English sentiment, throughout the night. Then queuing at a chippie, late into the evening, we had a couple of fellas stumble across and tell us "Aah tell ye what mate. Aah hope yous win your next match" (against Nigeria).

"Oh. Thanks" we say.

"Aye. Aah hate yous English pricks, but I REALLY hate they ****ing n*****s"

:rolleyes:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Congratulations to Scotland for finally playing in a football tournament match in the widescreen TV era

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I was at the Amex a couple of years ago and the crowd was singing, "Stand up if you hate Palace," which is fine until you know that they were actually playing LIVERPOOL at the time. My first and only thought was to STAND UP.

So I can assume you sang something similar about Palace as you walked up Wembley Way when we played City in the FA Cup semi- Final?

The only time I'd join in an anti Palace chant that day would be if we had been winning and I would happily have gone with "Are you watching Crystal Palace" Not sure that I even gave them a thought on the day though :shrug:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I've actually (just once) had a couple of Scotland fans, wish England well, and for us to WIN a World Cup match! ...

Myself and a work colleague had the misfortune to be stuck in Glasgow, when England played Argentina at the 2002 World Cup. We had to watch the game in a bar at a sports centre, and it wasn't particularly comfortable. the Scots far from pleased with England's great result.

That night, we went out for a few beers, and were treated to a fair bit more anti-English sentiment, throughout the night. Then queuing at a chippie, late into the evening, we had a couple of fellas stumble across and tell us "Aah tell ye what mate. Aah hope yous win your next match" (against Nigeria).

"Oh. Thanks" we say.

"Aye. Aah hate yous English pricks, but I REALLY hate they ****ing n*****s"

:rolleyes:

Nice

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Come on Czech - batter em!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I hope Scotland win, they might not like us much but we share the same island.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I hope Scotland get absolutely thrashed, can't stand all the hype on the telly etc. about them, to me they are just another foreign team that stand in England's way to the next round of the competition. The Scots in general always hate England and want us to lose and my feelings for them are the same.

exactly , hope they get turned over.

Either way hoping they get smashed friday

Just another foreign country with chips on shoulders

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here