Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Teddy Jenks

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I always think that people don't fully understand the value of a loan. It's about playing matches, sure - but it's also about growing up as a person as well as a player. It's presumably quite an easy life playing in the u23s at your hometown club. Little expectation, comfortable lifestyle. But a loan spell away means moving home, meeting new people and having a wholly different level of expectation put on your shoulders. He's going to develop as a man just as much, if not more so, than he'll develop as a player. Whether it goes well or it goes badly, we get a player back who has gained invaluable experience and will also greatly appreciate the set up we have here. Maybe seeing the infrastructure at another club will be an eye opener for him, in a positive way.

I think Aberdeen is a big club playing at the top level in Scottish football. It would be an excellent loan destination for Jenks, who I think looks an excellent footballer for his age and has all the potential in the world. And he's called Teddy - what a wonderful name and it's time for a top class Teddy again.

This ^

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that almost none of our players end up on loan at local(ish) clubs when they go out to get experience. There’s been a few exceptions to the rule; Longman @ AFC Wimbledon & Molumby @ Millwall both spring to mind but not a great deal more. White was sent to Wales, Peterborough & Yorkshire, Sanchez to Gloucestershire & Yorkshire. Roberts, Cochrane, Connolly, Cox, Walton etc have all be sent across the country (and in some cases Europe) when there must have been interest from clubs closer to home.

I’d assume if there’s a player where the club knows they have the potential talent to make the first team then they’ll find out a lot more if they’re playing their football 100+ miles away. Jenks is a local lad with family ties down here and a brother in the U-18s’. I’m sure he’s an incredibly hardworking lad to have got to where he is, but a year in a foreign city hundreds of miles away from home (and the nightlife that comes with that) will give the club a better understanding of how he deals with the mental side of the game, which they probably wouldn’t get if he was on loan at Millwall or Portsmouth and still commuting from Brighton with the same support network around him.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This ^

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that almost none of our players end up on loan at local(ish) clubs when they go out to get experience. There’s been a few exceptions to the rule; Longman @ AFC Wimbledon & Molumby @ Millwall both spring to mind but not a great deal more. White was sent to Wales, Peterborough & Yorkshire, Sanchez to Gloucestershire & Yorkshire. Roberts, Cochrane, Connolly, Cox, Walton etc have all be sent across the country (and in some cases Europe) when there must have been interest from clubs closer to home.

Not Connolly, unfortunately (2 appearances for Luton don't cut the mustard!). In retrospect he should have been - and that's why he needs to be loaned out now; not because we want to dump him somewhere, but because it will facilitate his development. Here's hoping he makes the most of it - he's pretty much at a career crossroads now, I reckon.

P.S. FWIW, I think it's the club, not the location, that has been the factor for the club deciding where our loanees go.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Think they’ve got a hell of a player on their hands. Always stands out for the 23s. Thought he might get a sneak at the first team squad but the competition is really fierce - which in itself is amazing.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
"Interesting" views from Aberdeen supporters - they're getting a player with an earring from Brighton who must therefore be a homosexual. They seem to be quite excited - or at least obsessed - about it. Load of closet nancy-boys up there, perhaps? :wink:

https://www.afc-chat.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/45761-teddy-jenks/

Extraordinary

Not only do a majority of posters display (unchallenged) views on sexuality lifted straight from a 1970's TV 'comedy' but they don't seem very impressed by a player they haven't heard of and hasn't played many 'senior' level games. Have they not noticed we are in the Premier league? Have they not done ANY research in order to be aware that Jenks has shone at the U23 level - a standard that is at least equal to, and probably some way above, the Scotlandish MTL?

They really really don't deserve him.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Extraordinary

Not only do a majority of posters display (unchallenged) views on sexuality lifted straight from a 1970's TV 'comedy' but they don't seem very impressed by a player they haven't heard of and hasn't played many 'senior' level games. Have they not noticed we are in the Premier league? Have they not done ANY research in order to be aware that Jenks has shone at the U23 level - a standard that is at least equal to, and probably some way above, the Scotlandish MTL?

It would be interesting to compare their views on him (as a player, not the stupid sexuality stuff) to Leeds supporters views on Ben White two years ago.

(TBF, one of them did actually get as far as researching the fact that his only 1st. team outings were in cup matches!)

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
"Interesting" views from Aberdeen supporters - they're getting a player with an earring from Brighton who must therefore be a homosexual. They seem to be quite excited - or at least obsessed - about it. Load of closet nancy-boys up there, perhaps? :wink:

Real lack of imagination/ effort, too. It would take them literally 30 seconds to find his Instagram account, and see for themselves whose hand he holds.

mxs_harrow

Jan 20, 2009
HA5
Crikey. Expected a few camp jokes but actually shocked me a bit. Backwards comes to mind.

Not very progressive up there I take it?

Just think of it as, albeit 1970s, Doric banter..... Aberdonians, as all Scots, can do irony, but it is sometimes difficult to work out when it is happening. Hopefully they will have lots of opportunity after the game on Friday.

Can't wait to get up to Aberdeen again, for a friendly, or a game. That's not a euphemism, by the way... :)

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Just think of it as, albeit 1970s, Doric banter..... Aberdonians, as all Scots, can do irony, but it is sometimes difficult to work out when it is happening. Hopefully they will have lots of opportunity after the game on Friday.

Can't wait to get up to Aberdeen again, for a friendly, or a game. That's not a euphemism, by the way... :)

Hmmm. I have nothing against the Scots and nae bothered by a wee bit of Abeerdeenian banter, but what I read up there would be considered homophobia by most, especially by the current generation. Different times my friend.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Extraordinary

Not just the earring but the white wine. Have I missed the memo on this or something but since when did white wine indicate homosexuality?

Opening that thread is going to lead some interesting ads on NSC. Just after closing the Aberdeen pages, I got served an ad for a case of Sauvignon Blanc

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

That is actually really really embarrassing in this day and age, or maybe just a sign that Scotland is really better off on it's own.
With views like that, I don't want them as part of the Union.
They obviously still clinging to bygone days, such as bannockburn that they never stop banging on about which happened over 700 years ago, but I doubt not one of those pictish/Celts that beat the English that day were bothered if one of their painted clan wore a bloody earing, christ they wear skirts....

I also do not get the whole earing outrage, why ?

If those posts were on NSC, Bozza would close the thread down, and I would not be surprised if a phone call from the club would not be incoming if he did not. Surely this is blatant homophobic abuse and the reason why England and SCOTLAND are together taking the knee on Friday.

Disgusting

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here