Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Guy Martin dash cam footage on The IoM TT.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Dedicated to 17:15, BBC1 weekdays

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Its all fantastic footage and mind boggling how he keeps it on the road at those speeds but I genuinely winced at 12:39 on that right-hander,it looks like he's off for sure.
Incredible skill and courage.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Madness, did the course on a road bike in 1986 and frightened myself shitless even at the comparatively sedate pace I was riding at.

There were 8 people killed that week and in the previous practice week, 4 racers and 4 spectators.

Joey Dunlop was in his pomp winning the F1 Race, one of his 26TT's , ridiculous that he survived so many laps of the TT and was killed in a minor race in Estonia...

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
It’s incredible these meetings are still allowed to happen. The documentary on the Dunlop family is really moving, but leaves you with that huge question of why with such stringent H&S everywhere in life do we still have motorbikes flying around at 160mph on open roads. :shrug:

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
Love the TT.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
It’s incredible these meetings are still allowed to happen. The documentary on the Dunlop family is really moving, but leaves you with that huge question of why with such stringent H&S everywhere in life do we still have motorbikes flying around at 160mph on open roads. :shrug:

In the case of the IoM TT (and the Manx GP / Classic TT at the IoM), there's two main factors:

1) (Mostly) Independent governance. Self-governance gives them the opportunity to make the decision themselves. Then couple that with...

2) The event is rather profitable for the IoM economy.

And then, I guess, there's also:

3) While the death rate at the IoM TT hits the headlines, it's roughly in the ballpark with other high-risk forms of motorsport (eg the Dakar). Kill off the IoM TT in the name of H&S, and you kinda need to go after Dakar and others as well.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Well, having ridden around the mountain circuit a few times now,once in a hi-top Renault Trafic (top-heavy and ponderous) once on a 450cc dirt bike (hmm,knobbly tyres don't make for much grip) and half a dozen laps on Mad Sunday on a 1250cc road bike The skill and concentration of all these riders beggars belief. I felt sick and almost fell off my office chair just watching those 2 clips. Nutters!

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Live TV coverage from next year as well. I really have missed it for the past 2 years.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
BOnkers. you need a screw loose to start with, then the real trick is knowing when to bow out, alive!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Mad Sunday. Mad. Mountain road closed in 1 direction so you can do what you like in the other (race) direction back down to the Creg. Had a classic 650 BSA Rocket Gold Star at the time so going up the Mountain Mile was probably pulling just over 100 MPH which was pretty good for a 1962 Bike when some herbert went past my right elbow about 20 MPH quicker.

Followed by another herbert going past my left elbow pretty much in the dirt about 30 MPH qucker than me.

Shit & stones flying everywhere, neither backed off and by the 32nd Milestone they were well gone.

Back into Douglas pulled up, had a pint of Okells and reflected that Mad Sunday wasn't for me. 4 fans died that week, 3 on Mad Sunday.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Mad Sunday. Mad. Mountain road closed in 1 direction so you can do what you like in the other (race) direction back down to the Creg. Had a classic 650 BSA Rocket Gold Star at the time so going up the Mountain Mile was probably pulling just over 100 MPH which was pretty good for a 1962 Bike when some herbert went past my right elbow about 20 MPH quicker.

Followed by another herbert going past my left elbow pretty much in the dirt about 30 MPH qucker than me.

Shit & stones flying everywhere, neither backed off and by the 32nd Milestone they were well gone.

Back into Douglas pulled up, had a pint of Okells and reflected that Mad Sunday wasn't for me. 4 fans died that week, 3 on Mad Sunday.

Yeah, I think one of the things they should definitely look at is either cancelling Mad Sunday altogether and/or curtailing it significantly.

I went to the IoM for the Classic TT a few years back. Rode the circuit at standard speed limits and even then some of it over the mountain was a bit hairy (although it won't have helped that I was due for new tyres as soon as I got home from that trip and most of the wear was motorway miles, so had a lovely ridge both front and rear that made the bike feel like it wanted to fall over [twice!] on corner entry). Personally think it's silly letting non-races go for it at speed, especially when a lot of them don't have any patience or respect for those on slower bikes (or simply wanting to ride the course more sensibly!).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here