Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Will our man start

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Just listening to BBC Big Euros preview. They discussed our central defence quite a bit and weren't all keeping up at the back!

Chris Waddle not backing BW and not 3 at the back. Need to play a 4 with 2 in the middle. Already Coady and Mings in squad.

Chris Sutton: What message would picking BW send them?

James McFadden, It would send the message that he's taken his chance.

Chris Waddle: Would pick Kyle Walker centre half in a two with Stones. Thinks he's a good centre half. KW has more experience than BW will ever have and knows Stones. Ben White played midfield at Leeds. He didn't play centre half.

Sutton: Walker too much of a risk. Out of position. How many times has Kyle Walker played centre half before?

Waddle: I don't know. But BW: would be putting a rookie in to play alongside Stones. BW a midfield player as much as anything. Cannot see him playing along John Stones. No chance.

CS disagrees have others in that position. Got to be Mings or Coady. Or if Maguire. half fit, whack him in.

Izzy Christiansen backing Ben White suitable partner for John Stones. Mings not in form. Shaky in Romania game. BW looked fresh and confident.

Is that the one where Waddle makes the bizarre claim Ben White hasn’t played much as a Center back, and that Bielsa mainly played him as a midfielder?

Top pundit.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Mings makes me nervous, Coady doesn't fill me with confidence either.

Stones and White would make sense.

It'll be Stones and Mings though.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Breaking according to journos on Twitter, it’s going to be a back 4 with Mings and Stones.

Its strange how all of your lineups and most of your decisions leak hours or days before the games. Only thing they got wrong was TAA being out of the squad but other than that the information seems to be accurate almost every time. Someone in the NT takes pleasure leaking things.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I'm pretty sure if everyone and everything but your ******** was wiped from earth, you wouldnt notice.

You come on to an English board, in a thread about our young English player, playing for England at a major international tournament, to tell us if Ben isn't playing you want England to lose. I mistakenly gave you the attention that you wanted, so for that I apologise. I should have ignored such a pathetic post, especially as it was expressing the opinion of an irrelevant Potter-stalking Swedish pizza-chugging tramp.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
No. Incredibly it looks like he is going to start the totally abysmal Mings. Absolutely ludicrous.

Not only that, despite having two excellent left backs available in Chilwell and Shaw, he’s going to play Trippier at left back! And start the completely out of form Sterling ahead of the in form Grealish and Sancho.

I just can’t get my head around any of that! It all defies logic.

It’s because Southgate is stubbornly stuck on the same few players, and lacks the cojones and vision to really go for it.

I suspect words like ‘stability’ and ‘established system’ are on post-it notes stuck to his bedroom mirror.

He just wants it to be 2018 all over again all the time.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
I wouldn’t have thought so

There’s a lot of talk about us really going for it like there always is but it always seems as though not losing is more important than winning

It’s almost like the pub football teams when I played thirty years ago

I know he’s playing out of position and you’re the better player but he was here last season scenario

I would love to see him just put the young players out there and say go for it, let’s face it if even if we lose second in the group is still achievable and a better route in terms of progression

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
To be fair to Swansman, even as an Englishman I’m going to struggle to support a team with Mings in the side! It is a dereliction of duty that Southgate continues to pick him.

Why? I don't rate Southgate or Mings but I know they will both be trying their best to get a win for England so I shall be supporting them both and hoping they succeed. Football isn't THAT important to me any more that I get upset if we lose. I shouldn't have reacted to his small man syndrome though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Surely Southgate will have to pick on form which makes Mings almost unpick-able. I don’t think Gareth will touch him, he has had an average season but has looked Championship level in the England warm-ups.

Southgate is so head over heals in-love with Maguire, I genuinely believe that he thinks we need two centre backs to replace the old slab headed jailbird.

So I’m convinced that he’ll go with a back 3. Coady and White have played 3 at the back most of the season and should start at the back with the impressive Stones (who’ll be saving his horrific mistakes for the latter stages of the competition).

‘Do what you do at Brighton’ was Gareth’s advice to our Ben when he joined up with the squad. Well, in most of his appearances, that’s been playing as a progressive right sided centre back who has brilliant positioning, a fantastic ability to read the game, pace and gorgeous passing skills. I think that he is a better defender than Kyle Walker at centre back with more about him in the air. I also think that he is a better passer and that Gareth will have spotted that.

Do I believe that Gareth will pick him? Yes. And I unashamedly won’t be able to hold back the tears if he does.

I agree with every word of that elegant post, except for one. I suspect the answer is no :down:

Anyway I don't want to be shedding at tear at every game. It was bad enough yesterday.

Here is why G-South will pick Mings over White:

Even hopeless has hope in it
infortunately it also has Pele in it
G-South thinks minger is the new Pele
There can be no other reason.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes? Whats the problem?

I think you may have been berated by one of NSC's old school gammon who loses his sense of humour if anyone said anything less then complimentary about our dear old queen or have the temerity to be a bit foreign. Just ignore him. It's really not difficult :shrug:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Does Southgate have the nous to change tactics and if so do the players have the confidence and awareness of his tactics to do so?

Genuine question as I don’t recall us ever doing it under him, don’t recall us changing things and getting back into the game under him.

I gather Croatia are likely to murder us in midfield, if so will he change tactics to try and nullify them or will we just go long and over them a la Wimbledon?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Soooo, Stirling and Mings are in who have been awful recently, and despite having Chilwell and Shaw he’s playing a right back at left back. Southgate is such a penis.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not expecting White to start.

I suspect a back four will have Stones and Mings in it. A five / three will have James Walker Stones Mings Chilwell/Shaw

Mings plays LCB because he's left footed. People on NSC are just going to have to get used to it.

Come on England!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Does Southgate have the nous to change tactics and if so do the players have the confidence and awareness of his tactics to do so?

Genuine question as I don’t recall us ever doing it under him

No. He’s devoid of tactical nouse and invention. When we played Croatia at the World Cup Modric stood in the middle of the park and ran the show, waistcoat did absolutely nothing to combat it.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think you may have been berated by one of NSC's old school gammon who loses his sense of humour if anyone said anything less then complimentary about our dear old queen or have the temerity to be a bit foreign. Just ignore him. It's really not difficult :shrug:

Ignore and miss out on the fun gammoning? I think not.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Not expecting White to start.

I suspect a back four will have Stones and Mings in it. A five / three will have James Walker Stones Mings Chilwell/Shaw

Mings plays LCB because he's left footed. People on NSC are just going to have to get used to it.

Come on England!

He’s picking Trippier at left back…

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here