Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Will our man start

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Jermaine Jenas has suggested we’ll go very cautious so he has to be in with a decent chance

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If we play a back 3 he deserves to but I guess Kyle Walker will be given the right sided cb spot. White’s best chance might oddly be if we play a 2.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I’d be surprised if he did. The majority of the papers yesterday seemed to have same predicted starting XI, which included a back four featuring Walker, Stones, Mings and Chilwell.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I’d be more comfortable with White instead of Mings.

First we need to keep the ball, then we need great approach play, then a good final ball, and finally will someone please PLEASE just put the ball in the back of the net!

It’s gonna be a long afternoon

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
He will likely put Slabhead on the little car that takes the ball out and control him from the sidelines.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’d be surprised if he did. The majority of the papers yesterday seemed to have same predicted starting XI, which included a back four featuring Walker, Stones, Mings and Chilwell.

Surely Southgate will have to pick on form which makes Mings almost unpick-able. I don’t think Gareth will touch him, he has had an average season but has looked Championship level in the England warm-ups.

Southgate is so head over heals in-love with Maguire, I genuinely believe that he thinks we need two centre backs to replace the old slab headed jailbird.

So I’m convinced that he’ll go with a back 3. Coady and White have played 3 at the back most of the season and should start at the back with the impressive Stones (who’ll be saving his horrific mistakes for the latter stages of the competition).

‘Do what you do at Brighton’ was Gareth’s advice to our Ben when he joined up with the squad. Well, in most of his appearances, that’s been playing as a progressive right sided centre back who has brilliant positioning, a fantastic ability to read the game, pace and gorgeous passing skills. I think that he is a better defender than Kyle Walker at centre back with more about him in the air. I also think that he is a better passer and that Gareth will have spotted that.

Do I believe that Gareth will pick him? Yes. And I unashamedly won’t be able to hold back the tears if he does.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Surely Southgate will have to pick on form which makes Mings almost unpick-able. I don’t think Gareth will touch him, he has had an average season but has looked Championship level in the England warm-ups.

Southgate is so head over heals in-love with Maguire, I genuinely believe that he thinks we need two centre backs to replace the old slab headed jailbird.

So I’m convinced that he’ll go with a back 3. Coady and White have played 3 at the back most of the season and should start at the back with the impressive Stones (who’ll be saving his horrific mistakes for the latter stages of the competition).

‘Do what you do at Brighton’ was Gareth’s advice to our Ben when he joined up with the squad. Well, in most of his appearances, that’s been playing as a progressive right sided centre back who has brilliant positioning, a fantastic ability to read the game, pace and gorgeous passing skills. I think that he is a better defender than Kyle Walker at centre back with more about him in the air. I also think that he is a better passer and that Gareth will have spotted that.

Do I believe that Gareth will pick him? Yes. And I unashamedly won’t be able to hold back the tears if he does.

I sincerely hope you’re right. I certainly can’t fault your logic there.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
A back three with White on the right, Stones in the middle and Luke Shaw playing as a left sided centre back - Mings and Coady are just not up to it

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013

Cry? Cry! That's a bit much isn't it! I'll be extremely pleased for him but it would take a lot more than that to get me blubbering into my Sunday Roast. Takes me back to my time in the special forces when I trod on a landmine as we ventured behind enemy lines in Helmand. " Take your quaking girly tear stained hands off me" I screamed at the medic and then hopped three days and nights over mountainous terrain back to base without so much as a whimper. Still, takes all sorts. :lolol: :wink:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If White starts, I want England to win. If he's not, I want Croatia to win. Either would be fine with me but obviously I want him to play.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

Southgate pick on form?

How are half the squad there if that were the case?

I can’t see Ben White getting anything other than a late 2nd half sub at best

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Southgate pick on form?

How are half the squad there if that were the case?

I can’t see Ben White getting anything other than a late 2nd half sub at best

Is sadly probably the correct answer.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Would be shocked if he starts as a late inclusion to the squad in the first game of a tournament. Stranger things have happened though…

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here