Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Beach Hut / Ice Cream Wars

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Morocco’s ice cream I think is quite good , not the best I’ve ever had but not bad . There are a couple of young girls working in there I think are grand daughters of the original owners who have a bit of attitude . Not exactly polite .

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I hate the term 'Karen'. Not sure where it came from. I'm glad you counseled against the idea of the internet sensation, another thing that winds me up.

But these vans should be properly licensed. It's not fair on those who do pay and follow the rules. I don't like seeing it at football matches with those silly half and half scarves.

That said, I wouldn't wish to side with Mrs Bucket too much. If she wants to make a legitimate complaint (assuming she has her facts right) there are channels. Should have just let you enjoy your cone.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Out for a walk on Hove seafront yesterday with the fam.

Having passed the Lagoon and not yet reached Rockwater we see an ice cream van parked on the prom, the kids ask me for one, I buy for them. As we're about to tuck in a woman approaches us and tells us off for buying from him because he's unlicensed and taking trade away from the Lagoon. I ask if she's anything to do with the Lagoon (knowing she isn't as we know the guy who runs the cafe for Norman). No, she's part of a Beach Huts resident group or something.

Now I have to say I do feel guilty about not using Big Beach which is my regular, but the guy in the van isn't serving chips or beers or coffee. He's serving Mr Whippy. And I'd have had to double back a fair way and join a longer queue. On the other hand Big Beach have had to get all the proper trading licences etc and have had the lockdown to get through so someone just turning up without permission is a bit off. However, my overriding thought was that this woman was just annoyed at having a Mr Whippy van as part of the view from her five figure shed.

Are the vans unlicenced? Should I avoid them in future? Or is this all just a bit "Keeping Up Appearances"? Anyone know?

(My kids take on it was that Beach Hut Woman was "A Karen" and that I should have filmed it and put it on the internet. FFS.)

Do you think Ben White will start this afternoon?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I wont buy from an ice cream van on principle.
A van ran into the back of my car a few years ago and I ended up with Mr whippylash

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Do you think Ben White will start this afternoon?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, but next time if one of the defenders puts in a flaky performance.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
I hate the term 'Karen'. Not sure where it came from. I'm glad you counseled against the idea of the internet sensation, another thing that winds me up.

But these vans should be properly licensed. It's not fair on those who do pay and follow the rules. I don't like seeing it at football matches with those silly half and half scarves.

That said, I wouldn't wish to side with Mrs Bucket too much. If she wants to make a legitimate complaint (assuming she has her facts right) there are channels. Should have just let you enjoy your cone.

"Mobile street trading
Mobile street trading isn't permitted in any form along the seafront. This includes ice-cream vans and mobile food stands. The council does not issue any permits for this area.

Enforcement officers patrol the seafront daily."

From the B'ton & Hove website

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Out for a walk on Hove seafront yesterday with the fam.

Having passed the Lagoon and not yet reached Rockwater we see an ice cream van parked on the prom, the kids ask me for one, I buy for them. As we're about to tuck in a woman approaches us and tells us off for buying from him because he's unlicensed and taking trade away from the Lagoon. I ask if she's anything to do with the Lagoon (knowing she isn't as we know the guy who runs the cafe for Norman). No, she's part of a Beach Huts resident group or something.

Now I have to say I do feel guilty about not using Big Beach which is my regular, but the guy in the van isn't serving chips or beers or coffee. He's serving Mr Whippy. And I'd have had to double back a fair way and join a longer queue. On the other hand Big Beach have had to get all the proper trading licences etc and have had the lockdown to get through so someone just turning up without permission is a bit off. However, my overriding thought was that this woman was just annoyed at having a Mr Whippy van as part of the view from her five figure shed.

Are the vans unlicenced? Should I avoid them in future? Or is this all just a bit "Keeping Up Appearances"? Anyone know?

(My kids take on it was that Beach Hut Woman was "A Karen" and that I should have filmed it and put it on the internet. FFS.)

I'm not sure if the van was unlicensed, but it was definatley trading illegally.

All mobile street trading is prohibited on the seafront from boundary road to blackrock and all of Central Brighton. I think the chestnut seller gets a special Christmas dispensation.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
It's Marrocco's. With an 'a'. MARROCCO'S!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm not sure if the van was unlicensed, but it was definatley trading illegally.

All mobile street trading is prohibited on the seafront from boundary road to blackrock and all of Central Brighton. I think the chestnut seller gets a special Christmas dispensation.

Should probably be enforced by the Seafront Office and council then and not the Queen of the Beach Huts?

Back to Norm's next time though and sod the queue.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Should not be interfering with children or approaching families enjoying an ice cream IMO. Fine, tackle the problem at source, contact council, start a protest if it means that much to you but otherwise mind your own. Most of the world had bigger things going on

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
We are on first name terms with the ice cream man that drives around our way, when my sons saw him they would ask -can we have some money for Charlie?
If you tried that in Liverpool, you would get an extra "treat" with your flake.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Interesting fact.
Asides big issue sellers, there are only two street trading licenses issued in the whole of Brighton and Hove. I doubt this ice cream vendor carries one of them.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Is it possible not to make a profit selling property in this country??

You'd have to try pretty damned hard
I'm a shit businessman, but bought and sold 35 classic cars in the last 15 year, made a profit on all of them . . . . never enough to actually make any surlpus money though!

must be my housing costs ;-)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here