Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Beach Hut / Ice Cream Wars

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Out for a walk on Hove seafront yesterday with the fam.

Having passed the Lagoon and not yet reached Rockwater we see an ice cream van parked on the prom, the kids ask me for one, I buy for them. As we're about to tuck in a woman approaches us and tells us off for buying from him because he's unlicensed and taking trade away from the Lagoon. I ask if she's anything to do with the Lagoon (knowing she isn't as we know the guy who runs the cafe for Norman). No, she's part of a Beach Huts resident group or something.

Now I have to say I do feel guilty about not using Big Beach which is my regular, but the guy in the van isn't serving chips or beers or coffee. He's serving Mr Whippy. And I'd have had to double back a fair way and join a longer queue. On the other hand Big Beach have had to get all the proper trading licences etc and have had the lockdown to get through so someone just turning up without permission is a bit off. However, my overriding thought was that this woman was just annoyed at having a Mr Whippy van as part of the view from her five figure shed.

Are the vans unlicenced? Should I avoid them in future? Or is this all just a bit "Keeping Up Appearances"? Anyone know?

(My kids take on it was that Beach Hut Woman was "A Karen" and that I should have filmed it and put it on the internet. FFS.)

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Having passed the Lagoon and not yet reached Rockwater we see an ice cream van parked on the prom, the kids ask me for one, I buy for them. As we're about to tuck in a woman approaches us and tells us off for buying from him because he's unlicensed and taking trade away from the Lagoon. I ask if she's anything to do with the Lagoon (knowing she isn't as we know the guy who runs the cafe for Norman). No, she's part of a Beach Huts resident group or something.

Now I have to say I do feel guilty about not using Big Beach which is my regular, but the guy in the van isn't serving chips or beers or coffee. He's serving Mr Whippy. And I'd have had to double back a fair way and join a longer queue. On the other hand Big Beach have had to get all the proper trading licences etc and have had the lockdown to get through so someone just turning up without permission is a bit off. However, my overriding thought was that this woman was just annoyed at having a Mr Whippy van as part of the view from her five figure shed.

Are the vans unlicenced? Should I avoid them in future? Or is this all just a bit "Keeping Up Appearances"? Anyone know?

(My kids take on it was that Beach Hut Woman was "A Karen" and that I should have filmed it and put it on the internet. FFS.)

99 problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
The ice cream van that does the rounds in Offington/Tarring plays the Match of the day theme tune. Always makes me smile when I hear it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You missed a trick there [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] you should have asked her if she was against the Amex being built. Nosey old bitch

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Your kids are right she does sound like a Karen. If she feels so passionately about it she can do something about it, but you should be left alone as done nothing wrong yourself. She might do better telling people BEFORE they buy!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Some lot called Rockweiler seem to have taken over the seafront in Hove and do whatever they want from what I can see. Terraces, igloos, tea huts, taking over areas of the beach. Some poor bloke trying to make a few Bob in these difficult times - meh.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If she was that bothered she should have coned off the area

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Personally I would not buy ice cream from a van . For two reasons , almost all these vans are unlicensed so are taking away business from local businesses, secondly because they are unlicensed they don’t have to bother complying with health and safety rules . You may think how is that going to effect ice creams - actually it does because these vans make most of their profit from selling Mr Wipeys which is a poor quality powder full of additives and colouring that is then mixed with a milk liquid in the machine that produces the ice cream .

The nozzle that the ice cream comes out of should be cleaned every few minutes to ensure no build up of bacteria , I doubt they get cleaned that regularly !

From a health point of view , it’s also far better to eat a reasonable quality ice cream made with cream , eggs etc the type sold by Morocco’s etc rather than a powder variety .

I understand if you live in the sticks you might not have much choice for ice cream when you are going for a walk but there’s no excuse in Hove , there’s plenty of places along the seafront .

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
In Scotland us kids were always taught by our parents that ice cream vans played a tune to indicate they had no ice cream left :moo:

The sandwich van we have come to work plays the Benny Hill music. As I am in the minority of knowing what it is, it makes me feel VERY old. Before that, we had one that played the Golden Wonder - they're Jungle Fresh music. Sure they are just taunting me.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton

I don't sell ice cream in my seafront shop, yet, but others nearby do. Imagine Pride 2019 and after 364 days of paying rent, rates and other expenses the shops stock up on ice creams only for a van to park yards from their shops and take all the trade. There was almost a major punch up before the van got the hint and shifted. But it happens a lot. Street sellers with these popping toys (2021 trend) who have zero costs involved. Walk along Brighton prom and see the sellers with zero cost selling stuff meanwhile my costs keep going up.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Personally I would not buy ice cream from a van . For two reasons , almost all these vans are unlicensed so are taking away business from local businesses, secondly because they are unlicensed they don’t have to bother complying with health and safety rules . You may think how is that going to effect ice creams - actually it does because these vans make most of their profit from selling Mr Wipeys which is a poor quality powder full of additives and colouring that is then mixed with a milk liquid in the machine that produces the ice cream .

The nozzle that the ice cream comes out of should be cleaned every few minutes to ensure no build up of bacteria , I doubt they get cleaned that regularly !

From a health point of view , it’s also far better to eat a reasonable quality ice cream made with cream , eggs etc the type sold by Morocco’s etc rather than a powder variety .

I understand if you live in the sticks you might not have much choice for ice cream when you are going for a walk but there’s no excuse in Hove , there’s plenty of places along the seafront .

Pedant alert to all those who say spelling doesn't matter:

A post complaining about Health and Safety, bacteria build up and cleaning properly......selling Mr Wipeys :)

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
This is good old British free market economics at work.

If you vote Tory, you get Tory, including ice-cream vans blighting the prom in clement weather. Mr Whippy was invented by Thatcher after all.

Just wait until Deliveroo fit their mopeds with their own ice cream dispensers. You ain’t seen nothing yet BHA (Beach Hut Association).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here