Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Official NSC Bird Spotting Thread.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
In Woodingdean the Buzzards usually get chased off by seagulls and/or crows but over the back of Portslade the seagulls don't seem to chase them.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think I’m correct in saying some Red Kites were released in the Lewes area a few years ago
I’ve seen one over in Isfield near the Laughing fish Also over the Lakewood area of Uckfield

That makes a lot of sense. I’m sure that one lives close to the Rainbow at Cooksbridge because I have seen it a number of times as I driven past.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Saw a Red Kite between Ditchling Beacon and Coldean Lane on Monday

View attachment 137590

Seen about half a dozen round sussex in the last year or so. I remember 10-15 years ago when Buzzards started arriving in Sussex, and they now seem to outnumber the Kestrels. Just keeping my eyes peeled for a White tailed Eagle from the IOW :thumbsup:

A White tailed Eagle was seen at Rye harbour recently. I saw the picture on social media and it looked more like a plan (size wise) than a bird. Small mammals beware!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Seems to be loads of Jays around here (Cheshire) at the moment, and a couple of weeks ago I heard my first Cuckoo for about 12 years.
Haven't seen a Kingfisher yet this year, that I recall.

There are at least a couple of resident Kingfisher pairs on the stretch of river I fish regularly and another on one of the lakes locally..........not managed to get a pic yet as they flash by way too fast !

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
A White tailed Eagle was seen at Rye harbour recently. I saw the picture on social media and it looked more like a plan (size wise) than a bird. Small mammals beware!

Found the picture of it over Rye with a Buzzard and Raven

eagle-raven-buzzard-at-rye-harbour-5734-w800h600.jpg

You can see why it's called 'the flying barndoor' :eek:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Haven't seen one for quite a few years, and was wondering where they had gone - then yesterday in Hawkshead....

View attachment 137610

The other common bird that seems to have decreased is the Chaffinch.

Used to be on our feeders all the time when we moved down here 20 years ago. Hardly see either now. Actually more likely to see Bullfinches and Goldfinches at Jakarta Towers.

In more cheerful news our Second brood of Robins have fledged so I can empty out the Pot by our front door where they were nesting. Where and why birds nest never fails to amaze me. We have a perfectly good nesting box up the top of our wall so no chance of a Cat getting to it. Was used by Blue Tits for several years but not for the last 3, have discovered nests in our hedge and as mentioned in a Pot near the front door which would be much riskier!

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Further to my post yesterday from Tide Mills, 1st one is Greenfinches, 3rd one is a Linnett but we are not sure of the 2nd one, Mrs HS thinks it may be a White Throat, any twitchers able to confirm.

thumbnail_20210611125000.jpg
thumbnail_20210611130808.jpg
thumbnail_20210611125507.jpg

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
661142F3-19C2-4528-A4A6-61D18EB290FF.jpeg

Not the best photo (taken with my phone and it was quite high above) but I saw this Red Kite over Chalvington the other day. There are also Lapwings at Lower Mays Farm in Selmeston.

Plenty of nightingales audible in and around the green lanes of Chalvington & Ripe too.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I have a confession to make :blush:

I claimed to have seen a couple of bearded tits on the same evening as seeing the Marsh Harrier. Having since spoken to a very experienced birder, and after more consideration, I almost certainly saw two linnets. The photo Hailsham Seagull has put up confirms it too.

Amateur on my part!... Very amateur! :lol:

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
I have a confession to make :blush:

I claimed to have seen a couple of bearded tits on the same evening as seeing the Marsh Harrier. Having since spoken to a very experienced birder, and after more consideration, I almost certainly saw two linnets. The photo Hailsham Seagull has put up confirms it too.

Amateur on my part!... Very amateur! :lol:

Never mind all part of the learning curve :thumbsup:
Enjoy the ride

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here