Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Crouch’s Year-Late Euros

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It's a slightly better version of Fantasy Football from the late 90's, probably not everyone's cup of tea but probably a couple of reasons for tuning in.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
I really really like Peter Crouch as a person.

Would probably be the footballer I'd most enjoy going for a beer with.

But he's not a person to build a television programme around. Wish the Beeb would stop pretending he is, every tv show he's on is a car crash.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I'm almost enjoying hating this. The over-colourful morning TV set; the over-excitable build up to very weakly perceived, written and enacted segment; the thought that celebrity is in some way a substitute for caring about, and being any good at what you are doing; the idea that shouting things loudly will mean that a longed for younger audience will tune in; the coupling of middle aged blokes in denim and casual shirts with a far younger woman with her bits hanging out; the stupid sub Soccer AM fan competitions; the ex-pros palling about; and the stilted attempts at chat segments culminate in something representative of why television executives are the last people on earth to understand what makes a good television programme.

It is television that hates itself and its audience. It is not made by people who care a jot or know a single thing about their subject. Fantasy Football was made by people who knew and understood what it feels like to be football fans. The worst people to ask about fan culture are actually players. Most of them don't understand. They haven't experienced it because they were always playing. Yet every single programme about football is now utterly dominated by people who played, but hardly ever watched football. Weak dressing room banter substitutes for the very real and deep culture, humour, obsessions, quirks, faiths, violent opinions and passions that make the whole thing just so damned human.

When television lets talented obsessives make television about their obsession those who share the obsession will obviously watch and enjoy, but so will those who know nothing of or couldn't care less about the obsession. When television aims for a target audience linked by a common interest it insults the obsessive and bores or annoys those who don't care.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm almost enjoying hating this. The over-colourful morning TV set; the over-excitable build up to very weakly perceived, written and enacted segment; the thought that celebrity is in some way a substitute for caring about, and being any good at what you are doing; the idea that shouting things loudly will mean that a longed for younger audience will tune in; the coupling of middle aged blokes in denim and casual shirts with a far younger woman with her bits hanging out; the stupid sub Soccer AM fan competitions; the ex-pros palling about; and the stilted attempts at chat segments culminate in something representative of why television executives are the last people on earth to understand what makes a good television programme.

It is television that hates itself and its audience. It is not made by people who care a jot or know a single thing about their subject. Fantasy Football was made by people who knew and understood what it feels like to be football fans. The worst people to ask about fan culture are actually players. Most of them don't understand. They haven't experienced it because they were always playing. Yet every single programme about football is now utterly dominated by people who played, but hardly ever watched football. Weak dressing room banter substitutes for the very real and deep culture, humour, obsessions, quirks, faiths, violent opinions and passions that make the whole thing just so damned human.

When television lets talented obsessives make television about their obsession those who share the obsession will obviously watch and enjoy, but so will those who know nothing of or couldn't care less about the obsession. When television aims for a target audience linked by a common interest it insults the obsessive and bores or annoys those who don't care.

Well I always thought you were excellent on FF.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Well I always thought you were excellent on FF.

Angus Loughran was one up on me because he could actually spell 'Statto'. I made a complete dog's breakfast of it when signing up to here, only picking the name because the first thing I posted was a stat analysis.

Mention of the great man should of course always be accompanied by mention of his finest hour as a 15 year old at a 1982 Oval Test match:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/that-1980s-sports-blog/2013/apr/09/cricket-pitch-invasions-1980s
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detai...to-the-pitch-for-england-news-photo/579867220

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Didn't bother, as the World Cup one was shithouse.

His podcast is BRILLIANT though.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Angus Loughran was one up on me because he could actually spell 'Statto'. I made a complete dog's breakfast of it when signing up to here, only picking the name because the first thing I posted was a stat analysis.

Mention of the great man should of course always be accompanied by mention of his finest hour as a 15 year old at a 1982 Oval Test match:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/that-1980s-sports-blog/2013/apr/09/cricket-pitch-invasions-1980s
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detai...to-the-pitch-for-england-news-photo/579867220

[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] can amend it for you.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I didn't bother. Post game for me was a large G&T, a quick bit of NSCing and bed. Thanks for this review and for bothering so we don't have to.

A shame in a way. I like Crouch's podcast based book. He's a good writer and naturally funny if you like self depreciating humour. However, I totally agree that, if there needs to be a late night review programme for a football tournament (and, let's face it, there doesn't), it should be written and presented by fans. And by fans I don't mean Tim Lovejoy.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
They’d be far better just extracting the format of That Peter Crouch Podcast straight onto tv but with a live audience.

Who commissions these things?! (We’re just all too old now aren’t we really?)

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Peter Crouch Saves Our Summer last year was awful but almost became car crash TV in that you couldn’t stop watching. That might have been more to do with Maya Jama than anything else though.:drool:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I quite enjoyed it but was aware it was trying very hard to be all matey and blokey and a lot of the chat was obviously scripted. Thought Tony Adams came over well.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
10 minutes, didn't even last that long. Crouch may be a good footballer and podcaster, telling some great stories, but as a TV actor he doesn't come anywhere near the grade.
5 minutes for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here