Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Handball

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
Watching the Turkey V Italy game has me confused, and in order to fully enjoy the next 4 weeks of football, can someone help me understand what constitutes a handball?

It seems Italy have had 3 decent penalty appeals, of which, 2 for handball that I would’ve given under my “interpretation” of the rules.

Any help?:angel:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It's a long time since I owned and read that little landscape book with the rules of football in it. I remember a lot of it, which all appears to be irrelevant

Sorry, can't help

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
Also have no idea how you can be offside from a short corner… maybe I should change the title of the thread to: Euro2020/1 new rules we need to be aware of

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This tournament is using the new 2021/22 season interpretation of handball.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Also have no idea how you can be offside from a short corner… maybe I should change the title of the thread to: Euro2020/1 new rules we need to be aware of

Of course you can?

Yup. Which reminds a lot about the old one before they started messing around with it in recent years.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

And that rule is: It totally depends on who is playing, the bias of the ref, whether VAR can get their microsope out in time and if the England and Brighton then its an automatic 'no penalty'.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
There are so many things which no longer apply.

First, there’s the “clever use of his body” to shield the ball. Obstruction.
“He took a yellow for the team”. Deliberate foul.
Oh, and don’t get me started on foul throws.

The VAR is the salt in the wound.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Surely it depends on the position of the player receiving the ball?

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
Surely it depends on the position of the player receiving the ball?

Maybe I'm wrong, but my understanding of a corner is that the ball is on the dead ball line (regardless of the placement of the ball), ergo no player can be "offside" as they cannot physically be "between" a last player and the goal.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've still had my world rocked by the revelation (I was told on here) that the ball does NOT have to travel forwards in order for an offside to be called.

I just don't know what to believe in any more.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
You can't be offside directly from a corner but the one that I think you are referring to was the second pass back to the taker who was in an offside position.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
You can't be offside directly from a corner but the one that I think you are referring to was the second pass back to the taker who was in an offside position.

Yes you can - and he was. The ball was placed in the segment. It was played to a player on the goal line. Offside.

Edit - hmm hang on - there seems to be a rule that you cant be offside direct from a corner. I'm pretty sure thats what was given tho....

Last edited:

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Yes you can - and he was. The ball was placed in the segment. It was played to a player on the goal line. Offside.

Edit - hmm hang on - there seems to be a rule that you cant be offside direct from a corner. I'm pretty sure thats what was given tho....

You can't be offside for any restart that is the result of the ball going out of play - goal kick, corner or throw in.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

I pointed this out on the match thread Friday. Was pretty confident that was the rule and the comms didn’t so much as mention it. They literally gave a factually wrong decision!

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I pointed this out on the match thread Friday. Was pretty confident that was the rule and the comms didn’t so much as mention it. They literally gave a factually wrong decision!

Just re-watched it and you are 100% correct. When I saw it live I thought I must have missed the first touch and that it was the second pass that triggered the offside because it is such a basic thing.:facepalm:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Just re-watched it and you are 100% correct. When I saw it live I thought I must have missed the first touch and that it was the second pass that triggered the offside because it is such a basic thing.:facepalm:

Was it offside, or was he perhaps penalised for stepping off the field of play and coming back on without the refs permission?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Was it offside, or was he perhaps penalised for stepping off the field of play and coming back on without the refs permission?

That would be ridiculous and happens all the time - not the point of that rule. I’m pretty sure he gave offside (wrongly)!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here