Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Replying first on your own thread, clearly BBC1,weekdays 17:15

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Don’t take it to heart Leekbrook - I certainly enjoyed watching it again. The lugubrious RGD - the thread title did for a moment make me question how old he was in that Test but that’s because I initially read the numerals as his DOB rather than his figures!

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I have watched that many times including the Botham innings the day before helped by Graham Dilly. At one stage you could have got 500/1 on an England win.
My favourite ever test match.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I remember watching Dylan bowl on that final day. I was just getting into cricket. I remember Willey putting down a couple of catches at the end. I'm not sure the crowd would have been so patient if that had been someone like Keith Fletcher.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Not sure where you got you information from but Bob Willis was born on 30-5-49.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I have watched that many times including the Botham innings the day before helped by Graham Dilly. At one stage you could have got 500/1 on an England win.
My favourite ever test match.

I actually saw those odds posted on the scoreboard,and Dilley's underneath it. Richie/B much missed.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I remember watching Dylan bowl on that final day. I was just getting into cricket. I remember Willey putting down a couple of catches at the end. I'm not sure the crowd would have been so patient if that had been someone like Keith Fletcher.

I once "met" Willey, in that I happened to find myself about 15yards away from him at Wantage Road.

I wanted to say hello, but quite frankly I was a bit scared of him.

I don't think the Headingley crowd ever liked Fletcher. For that matter I've never got the impression that anybody from anywhere other than Essex did.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Just to add, that was only the 2nd time in test match history that a team following on won a test match. The other time was in the 19 century.
Its probably happened since, but not than I can remember?

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Just to add, that was only the 2nd time in test match history that a team following on won a test match. The other time was in the 19 century.
Its probably happened since, but not than I can remember?

India's win against Australia at Eden Gardens in 2001:
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...ia-vs-australia-2nd-test-63920/full-scorecard

One of the great innings by VVS Laxman.

You know things are going badly when you bring on Justin Langer for an over.

The previous case was a win for England in Sydney in 1894, albeit I gather there was a significant amount of rain overnight which contributed to that:
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...alia-vs-england-1st-test-62437/full-scorecard

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The previous case was a win for England in Sydney in 1894, albeit I gather there was a significant amount of rain overnight which contributed to that:
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...alia-vs-england-1st-test-62437/full-scorecard

Ah, the days when England had spinners who could run through a team. Bobby Peel, thinking the game was as good as over, got completely blotto the night before and had to be held in a cold shower to sober him up before play started. There are no records of such matters but I reckon that his figures must be the best by a bowler with a hangover.

Maybe it's a tactic we should try again: who's going to take Jack Leach on an all-night bender? :smile:

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Ah, the days when England had spinners who could run through a team. Bobby Peel, thinking the game was as good as over, got completely blotto the night before and had to be held in a cold shower to sober him up before play started. There are no records of such matters but I reckon that his figures must be the best by a bowler with a hangover.

Maybe it's a tactic we should try again: who's going to take Jack Leach on an all-night bender? :smile:

Botham is supposed to have been out on a bender every night of the India v England test in Bombay in 1980, figures of 6/58 and 7/48, with 114 out of 296 thrown in between:
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...dia-vs-england-only-test-63262/full-scorecard

Maybe Silverwood should, and Leach can have a crack at persuading him to actually pick him for the team while he's at it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Botham is supposed to have been out on a bender every night of the India v England test in Bombay in 1980, figures of 6/58 and 7/48, with 114 out of 296 thrown in between:
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...dia-vs-england-only-test-63262/full-scorecard

Maybe Silverwood should, and Leach can have a crack at persuading him to actually pick him for the team while he's at it.

Yeah, thinking about it, there may have been quite a few alcohol induced five-fers over the years: Larwood reputedly trained on beer, Trueman liked a pint and Sobers put away a few rums in his time. And that's before you mention the Aussies ...

It doesn't seem to work for batsmen though and, sadly, that's England's bigger problem

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I seem to recall Lillee saying that he stuck a few quid on England when he saw the odds.
Not sure if that was a bit of after-timing or natch fixing on his part.

Lillee and Marsh. They would have been banned now, and for some time.

No evidence it affected their performance. In fact Lillee was the biggest obstacle to England winning with his bash at the end. Caught by a diving catch from Gatting before he could bring them home. That turned it. Marsh was caught on the boundary.

I think he and Marsh may have had a fiver on it. They just thought it was silly odds.

EDIT: Full story here

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2001/aug/13/cricket.comment

Last edited:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Lillee and Marsh. They would have been banned now, and for some time.

No evidence it affected their performance. In fact Lillee was the biggest obstacle to England winning with his bash at the end. Caught by a diving catch from Gatting before he could bring them home. That turned it. Marsh was caught on the boundary.

I think he and Marsh may have had a fiver on it. They just thought it was silly odds.

EDIT: Full story here

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2001/aug/13/cricket.comment

Absolutely ridiculous odds at that point in the match.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here