Legend.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
* Don't mention the tracksuits!!

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I remember traveling to Scarborough (with my dad), not long after he’d signed and was pretty excited to see him play - in the away end someone said to us (when the team was named), “not Hart, he’s rubbish...” even then I thought that’s rich, he’s played about two or three games ffs ... some things never change lol.

Anyway, I think we won or certainly drew - under Horton I think ... Hart looked class - he might have scored (although the memory clouds...)

That bloke in the away end, hang your head in shame.

Lol.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
On the other Albion forum we had the 'Oh Gary Hart Challenge' - predict his goal tally over the season and win a programme singed by the great man (which the club arranged for us). I can recall a current regular poster on NSC winning one season with a prediction of, I seem to recall, three. :facepalm:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
£1,000 plus tracksuits.

373 appearances.

13 seasons.

45 goals.

#value

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Scoring the winning goal, iirc.

What a lovely day that was, great to see him one last time, took my daughter who was 9 months old and we sat across from Poyet who was in the West Stand watching.
Great servant for the club, in our hours/weeks/months/years of need.

Love the guy.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Albion legend, no one will convince me otherwise.

If Adams didn’t re-sign him in 2008 I’m sure we would’ve been relegated in 09!

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Yes - I was right! Brilliant day :)

31 August 1998 (Bank Holiday Monday) League Division 3
Scarborough 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 2

McCain Stadium
Conditions: Hot and sunny. Pitch: good
Brighton scores placed first.

Albion (who have not yet scored in the first half in the 6 games this season) mount the first attack. No danger.
Ross Johnson long throw-in, the third longest in the League, almost as good as a corner for the Albion.
Derek Allan, although not tall, is the commanding header of the ball in the Albion defence.
Scarborough whip in a fast cross which could have been dangerous.
Jeff Minton takes the first Albion corner.
Jeff Minton takes the first Albion free kick near the Scarborough penalty box.
Scarborough break very quickly but the shot was never going to trouble Mark Walton in the Albion goal.
Further evidence of Derek Allan's (Albion) dominance in the air.
Gary Hart (Albion) fouled in the penalty area by the Scarborough keeper. No penalty given. Corner.
Albion enjoying most of the attacks. 15 mins. No real chances though.
Scarborough also have a long throw-in expert.
Richie Barker (Albion) left foot shot-cum-cross eludes Gary Hart and goes narrowly wide.
1-0 Jeff Minton (Albion) chips in a free kick over the wall, and curling away from the keeper, from a central position 30 yards out. 25 mins.
Scarborough disallowed a penalty claim. 27 mins.
Liam Robinson (Scarborough) scuffs his shot and misses a great chance at the far post. 28 mins.
Mark Walton (Albion) holds a good shot from Liam Robinson (Scarborough). 30 mins.
Ross Johnson throw could be as long as 30 yards, and it reaches Richie Barker, with a flick on to Gary Hart who crosses for Jamie Moralee (Albion) who is crowded out and unable to get a shot in.
Jeff Minton and Jeff Worrall in an illegal skirmish.
Richie Barker, who holds the ball up as 'target man' in the Albion attack, gets his shirt tugged. 36 mins.
Paul Armstrong (Albion) volleys wide. 37 mins.
Micky Bennett (Albion) does a 'holding role' for the Albion in midfield, and passes the ball OK.
Scarborough getting their game together. Liam Robinson (Scarborough) shot deflected for a corner. 42 mins.
Ross Johnson no longer coming forward for the long throws.
Paul Armstrong (Albion) has a clear cut opportunity in the box but shoots wide. 44 mins.
John Kay (Scarborough) booked for a professional foul (debatable). 45 mins.
Albion dominated the first half.
ht: 1-0
Poor start to the second half by both sides. Scarborough push more men forward.
2-0 Gart Hart (Albion) collects a long ball, outpaces the defence, using his strength and quick reactions to fend off John Kay, rounds the keeper with ease and slams the ball into the net. 65 mins. GREAT GOAL!
Albion defending Scarborough attacks.
Gareth Williams (Scarborough) meets a Mirankov cross to see his fine header surberbly saved by Mark Walton in the Albion goal.
Ross Johnson (Albion) continuing his long throws. 83 mins.
Steve Brodie (Scarborough) curls in the crosses.
Paul Armstrong (Albion) plays safe and concedes a corner.
Gart Hart wins a corner. 87 mins.
Micky Bennett (Albion) gives the ball away but tackles back quickly.
Gary Hart good running off the ball for the Albion.
Paul Armstrong (Albion) booked. 92 mins.
2-1 Wayne Bullimore (Scarborough) volleys a consolation goal. 92 mins. Albion failed to clear Steve Brodie's free kick.

Albion hold out against Scarborough in the second half, and were in no danger of losing, although not playing at the top of their game.

FT: 2-1

Ref: Tony Leake
Albion Team:
Mark Walton
Paul Armstrong, Ross Johnson, Ian Culverhouse, Derek Allan, Graeme Atkinson,
Jeff Minton, Michael Bennett.
Jamie Moralee.
Richie Barker, Gary Hart.
subs: Gary Hobson, Kerry Mayo, Hinchcliffe.
Attendance: 2,528
Formation: 5-3-2
Argus (Andy Naylor) Albion MOM: Derek Allan
League Position = 10th.
Forecast: difficult to assess, probably 0-0, though if Scarborough are really as poor as they seem, Albion could come away with a 3-1 win.

Reflection: Encouraging result, and Albion seem to be making progress (perhaps for the first time since Chris Cattlin was Manager 14 years ago), but there is a long way to go yet, and I don't think the players in the crucial wing-back positions are good enough for the 5-3-2 formation.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Yes - I was right! Brilliant day :)

31 August 1998 (Bank Holiday Monday) League Division 3
Scarborough 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 2

McCain Stadium
Conditions: Hot and sunny. Pitch: good
Brighton scores placed first.

Albion (who have not yet scored in the first half in the 6 games this season) mount the first attack. No danger.
Ross Johnson long throw-in, the third longest in the League, almost as good as a corner for the Albion.
Derek Allan, although not tall, is the commanding header of the ball in the Albion defence.
Scarborough whip in a fast cross which could have been dangerous.
Jeff Minton takes the first Albion corner.
Jeff Minton takes the first Albion free kick near the Scarborough penalty box.
Scarborough break very quickly but the shot was never going to trouble Mark Walton in the Albion goal.
Further evidence of Derek Allan's (Albion) dominance in the air.
Gary Hart (Albion) fouled in the penalty area by the Scarborough keeper. No penalty given. Corner.
Albion enjoying most of the attacks. 15 mins. No real chances though.
Scarborough also have a long throw-in expert.
Richie Barker (Albion) left foot shot-cum-cross eludes Gary Hart and goes narrowly wide.
1-0 Jeff Minton (Albion) chips in a free kick over the wall, and curling away from the keeper, from a central position 30 yards out. 25 mins.
Scarborough disallowed a penalty claim. 27 mins.
Liam Robinson (Scarborough) scuffs his shot and misses a great chance at the far post. 28 mins.
Mark Walton (Albion) holds a good shot from Liam Robinson (Scarborough). 30 mins.
Ross Johnson throw could be as long as 30 yards, and it reaches Richie Barker, with a flick on to Gary Hart who crosses for Jamie Moralee (Albion) who is crowded out and unable to get a shot in.
Jeff Minton and Jeff Worrall in an illegal skirmish.
Richie Barker, who holds the ball up as 'target man' in the Albion attack, gets his shirt tugged. 36 mins.
Paul Armstrong (Albion) volleys wide. 37 mins.
Micky Bennett (Albion) does a 'holding role' for the Albion in midfield, and passes the ball OK.
Scarborough getting their game together. Liam Robinson (Scarborough) shot deflected for a corner. 42 mins.
Ross Johnson no longer coming forward for the long throws.
Paul Armstrong (Albion) has a clear cut opportunity in the box but shoots wide. 44 mins.
John Kay (Scarborough) booked for a professional foul (debatable). 45 mins.
Albion dominated the first half.
ht: 1-0
Poor start to the second half by both sides. Scarborough push more men forward.
2-0 Gart Hart (Albion) collects a long ball, outpaces the defence, using his strength and quick reactions to fend off John Kay, rounds the keeper with ease and slams the ball into the net. 65 mins. GREAT GOAL!
Albion defending Scarborough attacks.
Gareth Williams (Scarborough) meets a Mirankov cross to see his fine header surberbly saved by Mark Walton in the Albion goal.
Ross Johnson (Albion) continuing his long throws. 83 mins.
Steve Brodie (Scarborough) curls in the crosses.
Paul Armstrong (Albion) plays safe and concedes a corner.
Gart Hart wins a corner. 87 mins.
Micky Bennett (Albion) gives the ball away but tackles back quickly.
Gary Hart good running off the ball for the Albion.
Paul Armstrong (Albion) booked. 92 mins.
2-1 Wayne Bullimore (Scarborough) volleys a consolation goal. 92 mins. Albion failed to clear Steve Brodie's free kick.

Albion hold out against Scarborough in the second half, and were in no danger of losing, although not playing at the top of their game.

FT: 2-1

Ref: Tony Leake
Albion Team:
Mark Walton
Paul Armstrong, Ross Johnson, Ian Culverhouse, Derek Allan, Graeme Atkinson,
Jeff Minton, Michael Bennett.
Jamie Moralee.
Richie Barker, Gary Hart.
subs: Gary Hobson, Kerry Mayo, Hinchcliffe.
Attendance: 2,528
Formation: 5-3-2
Argus (Andy Naylor) Albion MOM: Derek Allan
League Position = 10th.
Forecast: difficult to assess, probably 0-0, though if Scarborough are really as poor as they seem, Albion could come away with a 3-1 win.

Reflection: Encouraging result, and Albion seem to be making progress (perhaps for the first time since Chris Cattlin was Manager 14 years ago), but there is a long way to go yet, and I don't think the players in the crucial wing-back positions are good enough for the 5-3-2 formation.

Jamie Moralee

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Jamie Moralee

I'm sure he was wearing either red or yellow boots, which were at the time: the domain of elite footballers or complete toss pots.

Hmmmmmmmm.

He had nice hair though. Curtains were in, remember this was peak era Brit Pop curtain land - I still sport curtains when I grow my wizardy hair in. Minton had a brilliant set of curtains. Mayo too, I'm certain he was still rocking the curtains at that point...

Great days.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Gary Hart is also one of a select group of players to out himself as an NSCer.

I think it's only he and Guy Butters who have admitted it ... although I'm sure there have been some anonymous lurkers

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
£1,000 plus tracksuits.

373 appearances.

13 seasons.

45 goals.

#value

Actually, if it's just about the stats, 45 goals in 373 appearances is far from great for a centre forward.

His game wasn't all about goals though, non stop running and effort, and a lot of assists too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here