Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Members

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by el punal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What I’m sure will not be acceptable will be the number of points dropped in games where we were winning or drawing. I don’t know the exact stats from last season (20/21) but assume the figure is around 15 points lost, that would mean we would have ended up in a comfortable mid-table position - as borne out by our goal difference which was vastly superior to those teams around us.

On the plus side we are an improving team and the obvious mantra to be instilled into the players would be “kill games off when you have the chance.”
    We lost 25 points from winning positions. It was the most in the Premier League.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
      Great to hear his enthusiasm, so obviously a fanatical Albion fan. Yes, the pressure is now on GP. The oft talked about top ten aim in the future is now a top ten aim for next season. A relegation struggle will not be tolerated it seems.
      I fear that someone is going to be disappointed then. I genuinely can't see a top 10 level of improvement next season unless the mythical 15 goal striker arrives from somewhere.
      " The day after we vote to leave, we hold all the cards " Gove, M. 19/4/2016

" We will be leaving on December 31st on Australian style terms and trading under the basis of WTO rules " Gove, M 19/10/2020
      Longing for retirement. AmexRuislip's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Goldstone1976 View Post
      Apologies if I've missed this, but TB is now on record as saying that a top 10 finish is a "very realistic aim" for the upcoming season. He makes it clear that the real aim is consistently to be in the top 10, but I've never heard anyone at the club say it could be as soon as next season.

Pressure's on, GP! My reading is that TB accepts that we didn't get the points we perhaps should have done in 20/21, but won't be so amenable if we fail to do so in 21/22.

13:15-13:30 for the critical bit.

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.co...is-monumental/

Edit: elsewhere in the video he also says that he anticipates that the finances will be better in the future (rather than the huge losses over the last couple of years), predominantly through transfer dealings. There is only one way of interpreting this comment, imo - the value of player sales will significantly exceed the cost of player purchases. Unless, of course, he's bluffing. An experienced poker player would never do that, obviously.
      The Albion is Tony Bloom.
      Everybody else are just guests who happen to have an affinity for the Albion.
      He wants to see his club challenge at the highest level regardless who is at the helm.
      I have only ever met him once, at the away game v Watford Aug 26 2017, the Britos v Knocky game.
      His large shadow took a photo for us, whilst before I had shaken his hand you get the real feeling his love for the club, smiling from ear to ear being amongst Albion fans and being a part of it
      Fóllame dunky, podrías haberme advertido que estabas haciendo esa cosa del pecho,
      no creo que el gimp Southgate estuviera mirando"
      The Disowned Masses

2 Not allowed!
      Good to see Tony sees the improvement path we're on and has faith in the way Graham had got us playing. Some strategic investment and we'll be close.
      Follow @kmoorman1968 on Twitter
      Bitterne,Southampton. In the land of wrong stripes and boo-boys!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by andy1980 View Post
      We lost 25 points from winning positions. It was the most in the Premier League.
      Fair comment, but counter that with those games where we gained points right at the death. Palace away and Liverpool at home spring to mind. Whatever, we are singing from the same hymn sheet and that problem of dropped points needs to be addressed.
      Just a hedgehog on the motorway of life.
      Sensible madman

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Guinness Boy View Post
      The “long term aim” has a date in the plan after all. I’m shocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      What must be truly shocking to you is that he has seen improvement.

6 Not allowed!
      I suspect the dropped points stat is partially to do with having such a young team.
      I would expect a significant improvement next season based on the players being more experienced.
      Members

8 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Rune View Post
      The only positive is that you can find the lost points very very easily when you analyse where exactly we lost them by looking at the horrific defensive mistakes (which largely disappeared when Sanchez replaced Ryan) and the countless big chances missed by Maupay, Connolly & Trossard. Sort those issues out and it could be top 8.
      Indeed. If we'd beaten ManU (h) Villa, Palace (h and a), WBA (a) and Wolves, games that we absolutely bossed (Wolves was slightly different but we dominating the game until Dunk went) - we'd have been 11th ...

What I’m sure will not be acceptable will be the number of points dropped in games where we were winning or drawing. I don’t know the exact stats from last season (20/21) but assume the figure is around 15 points lost, that would mean we would have ended up in a comfortable mid-table position - as borne out by our goal difference which was vastly superior to those teams around us.
      ... and if we'd held on against West Ham (twice) and Leicester too, then we'd have been eighth or ninth ...

... and throw in two dodgy penalties to Spurs and Southampton, and we're sixth.

And, yes, I know, if my auntie had balls etc ... but it shows just how fine the margins are. It wouldn't take a huge amount of improvement and a bit more good fortune to climb higher in the league. It looks like it would take a big effort to climb so high but there are actually just a few things to tighten.
      Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      Fair comment, but counter that with those games where we gained points right at the death. Palace away and Liverpool at home spring to mind. Whatever, we are singing from the same hymn sheet and that problem of dropped points needs to be addressed.
      Hopefully we have learnt to manage games a bit more. then at least we can move away from a relegation battle.
      Members

3 Not allowed!
      I wonder if this signposts the cheque book coming out? Conventual wisdom says we are skint and need to sell to buy even in a limited way. But to achieve a top ten finish I think two things are required. 1. You need to retain the better players we have. 2. You need to address the lack of goals. The goals issue needs to be solved from the outside you are not going to coach another 10/20 goals into this lot. It's an improving squad but goalscoring is a specialized skill where coaching only seems to have a partial effect.

TB might look at things and think I can get value this summer that I won't get perhaps ever again once things return to 'normal'. I'm sure there will be outgoings anyway but could we see £20-30m spent on a striker? For sure that kind of money is going to get you a lot higher level of player this summer than it would have last year. What could you get for £30m right now in say the French market?