Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bloom: "Top 10... is a very realistic aim for next season"

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Apologies if I've missed this, but TB is now on record as saying that a top 10 finish is a "very realistic aim" for the upcoming season. He makes it clear that the real aim is consistently to be in the top 10, but I've never heard anyone at the club say it could be as soon as next season.

Pressure's on, GP! My reading is that TB accepts that we didn't get the points we perhaps should have done in 20/21, but won't be so amenable if we fail to do so in 21/22.

13:15-13:30 for the critical bit.

[video]https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/my-albion-tv/videos/2161713/bloom-fans-return-is-monumental/[/video]

Edit: elsewhere in the video he also says that he anticipates that the finances will be better in the future (rather than the huge losses over the last couple of years), predominantly through transfer dealings. There is only one way of interpreting this comment, imo - the value of player sales will significantly exceed the cost of player purchases. Unless, of course, he's bluffing. An experienced poker player would never do that, obviously.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Great to hear his enthusiasm, so obviously a fanatical Albion fan. Yes, the pressure is now on GP. The oft talked about top ten aim in the future is now a top ten aim for next season. A relegation struggle will not be tolerated it seems.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Apologies if I've missed this, but TB is now on record as saying that a top 10 finish is a "very realistic aim" for the upcoming season. He makes it clear that the real aim is consistently to be in the top 10, but I've never heard anyone at the club say it could be as soon as next season.

Pressure's on, GP! My reading is that TB accepts that we didn't get the points we perhaps should have done in 20/21, but won't be so amenable if we fail to do so in 21/22.

[video]https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/my-albion-tv/videos/2161713/bloom-fans-return-is-monumental/[/video]

I think where he is a Mathematician and the stats say this season was a top 10 season he knows the odds are against us not being to 10 next season if we play like this again. Therefore it very realistic to be top 10 next season.. What interests me is he says we have to be aiming to push on. That doesn't sound like someone who would have accepted relegation like some people believe. Like you say the Pressure is on Graham Potter.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Edit: elsewhere in the video he also says that he anticipates that the finances will be better in the future (rather than the huge losses over the last couple of years), predominantly through transfer dealings. There is only one way of interpreting this comment, imo - the value of player sales will significantly exceed the cost of player purchases. Unless, of course, he's bluffing. An experienced poker player would never do that, obviously.

Great to hear his enthusiasm, so obviously a fanatical Albion fan. Yes, the pressure is now on GP. The oft talked about top ten aim in the future is now a top ten aim for next season. A relegation struggle will not be tolerated it seems.

A lot probably depends on circumstances though. What if Welbeck moves along and no good option is found? Or if a bunch of key players get unlucky with injuries?

Probably not all black or white. But obviously TB, GP and everyone else hopes and expects a better season next time around. Top 10 is the aim but I dont think anyone (besides a few muppets here) are going to scream and cry if the team ends up 12-13.

50 pts feels like a good target.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
A lot probably depends on circumstances though. What if Welbeck moves along and no good option is found? Or if a bunch of key players get unlucky with injuries?

Probably not all black or white. But obviously TB, GP and everyone else hopes and expects a better season next time around. Top 10 is the aim but I dont think anyone (besides a few muppets here) are going to scream and cry if the team ends up 12-13.

50 pts feels like a good target.

Prior to watching that video, I'd have agreed that Bloom would probably have settled for 12-13 next season. However, he doesn't strike me as the sort of chap who would take failure to achieve a "very realistic aim" that he has announced publicly very well.

I wonder if you've just effectively called our Chairman a muppet - though he probably wouldn't scream and cry; instead possibly reaching for a P45.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Prior to watching that video, I'd have agreed that Bloom would probably have settled for 12-13 next season. However, he doesn't strike me as the sort of chap who would take failure to achieve a "very realistic aim" that he has announced publicly very well.

I wonder if you've just effectively called our Chairman a muppet.

And to me he doesnt strike me as the sort of chap who would sack anyone for getting ten or so more points than last season but eventually ending up a few points outside of the top 10. I think that sort of anal attitude towards league tables are saved for the ones I consider muppets.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The “long term aim” has a date in the plan after all. I’m shocked. :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Top 10 is probably another 19 points more than we got last season. That is a lot. A hell of a lot.

The only positive is that you can find the lost points very very easily when you analyse where exactly we lost them by looking at the horrific defensive mistakes (which largely disappeared when Sanchez replaced Ryan) and the countless big chances missed by Maupay, Connolly & Trossard. Sort those issues out and it could be top 8.

el punal

What I’m sure will not be acceptable will be the number of points dropped in games where we were winning or drawing. I don’t know the exact stats from last season (20/21) but assume the figure is around 15 points lost, that would mean we would have ended up in a comfortable mid-table position - as borne out by our goal difference which was vastly superior to those teams around us.

On the plus side we are an improving team and the obvious mantra to be instilled into the players would be “kill games off when you have the chance.”

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
What I’m sure will not be acceptable will be the number of points dropped in games where we were winning or drawing. I don’t know the exact stats from last season (20/21) but assume the figure is around 15 points lost, that would mean we would have ended up in a comfortable mid-table position - as borne out by our goal difference which was vastly superior to those teams around us.

On the plus side we are an improving team and the obvious mantra to be instilled into the players would be “kill games off when you have the chance.”

We lost 25 points from winning positions. It was the most in the Premier League.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I fear that someone is going to be disappointed then. I genuinely can't see a top 10 level of improvement next season unless the mythical 15 goal striker arrives from somewhere.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

The Albion is Tony Bloom.
Everybody else are just guests who happen to have an affinity for the Albion.
He wants to see his club challenge at the highest level regardless who is at the helm.
I have only ever met him once, at the away game v Watford Aug 26 2017, the Britos v Knocky game.
His large shadow took a photo for us, whilst before I had shaken his hand you get the real feeling his love for the club, smiling from ear to ear being amongst Albion fans and being a part of it :)

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Good to see Tony sees the improvement path we're on and has faith in the way Graham had got us playing. Some strategic investment and we'll be close.

el punal

We lost 25 points from winning positions. It was the most in the Premier League.

Fair comment, but counter that with those games where we gained points right at the death. Palace away and Liverpool at home spring to mind. Whatever, we are singing from the same hymn sheet and that problem of dropped points needs to be addressed.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I suspect the dropped points stat is partially to do with having such a young team.
I would expect a significant improvement next season based on the players being more experienced.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The only positive is that you can find the lost points very very easily when you analyse where exactly we lost them by looking at the horrific defensive mistakes (which largely disappeared when Sanchez replaced Ryan) and the countless big chances missed by Maupay, Connolly & Trossard. Sort those issues out and it could be top 8.

Indeed. If we'd beaten ManU (h) Villa, Palace (h and a), WBA (a) and Wolves, games that we absolutely bossed (Wolves was slightly different but we dominating the game until Dunk went) - we'd have been 11th ...

... and if we'd held on against West Ham (twice) and Leicester too, then we'd have been eighth or ninth ...

... and throw in two dodgy penalties to Spurs and Southampton, and we're sixth.

And, yes, I know, if my auntie had balls etc ... but it shows just how fine the margins are. It wouldn't take a huge amount of improvement and a bit more good fortune to climb higher in the league. It looks like it would take a big effort to climb so high but there are actually just a few things to tighten.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Fair comment, but counter that with those games where we gained points right at the death. Palace away and Liverpool at home spring to mind. Whatever, we are singing from the same hymn sheet and that problem of dropped points needs to be addressed.

Hopefully we have learnt to manage games a bit more. then at least we can move away from a relegation battle.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I wonder if this signposts the cheque book coming out? Conventual wisdom says we are skint and need to sell to buy even in a limited way. But to achieve a top ten finish I think two things are required. 1. You need to retain the better players we have. 2. You need to address the lack of goals. The goals issue needs to be solved from the outside you are not going to coach another 10/20 goals into this lot. It's an improving squad but goalscoring is a specialized skill where coaching only seems to have a partial effect.

TB might look at things and think I can get value this summer that I won't get perhaps ever again once things return to 'normal'. I'm sure there will be outgoings anyway but could we see £20-30m spent on a striker? For sure that kind of money is going to get you a lot higher level of player this summer than it would have last year. What could you get for £30m right now in say the French market?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here