Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bloom: "Top 10... is a very realistic aim for next season"

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Perhaps as much as signing a striker we need to make our goals a goalpost width bigger?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
TB knows the budget and potential sales/signings . . . assuming that and GP/player expectation and performances, He wouldn't have said it, if it wasnt a realistic possibility and expectation.

with a bit of luck we'd have been 45-50 points this last season anyway . . .

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
It's funny how many people here have taken "aim for a top 10 finish" to mean we MUST finish in the top 10... Think Tony Bloom would be more than happy to replicate Villas position of last season, as it would show we had given it a good go...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The change needed to get the extra 9 points might already have been made.

Since Sanchez took over from Ryan we've conceed fewer goals and returned more points.

Over the course of a full season that may be enough.

True, but for me the greater problem is at the other end, the total lack of goals.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Some people have been disappointed for two seasons that the team isnt "pushing the top 10" so if these fans are now "within their rights", it surely means it wasnt within their rights previously?

Perhaps, but this thread is a forward looking one about next season, not the opinions expressed over the past two years.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The change needed to get the extra 9 points might already have been made.

Since Sanchez took over from Ryan we've conceed fewer goals and returned more points.

Over the course of a full season that may be enough.

Agreed. And the goals we need are already in the team. On the law of averages alone, a proportion of the near misses from Trossard, Lallana, Moder and the rest must surely go in next season.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Apologies if I've missed this, but TB is now on record as saying that a top 10 finish is a "very realistic aim" for the upcoming season. He makes it clear that the real aim is consistently to be in the top 10, but I've never heard anyone at the club say it could be as soon as next season.

Pressure's on, GP! My reading is that TB accepts that we didn't get the points we perhaps should have done in 20/21, but won't be so amenable if we fail to do so in 21/22.

13:15-13:30 for the critical bit.

[video]https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/my-albion-tv/videos/2161713/bloom-fans-return-is-monumental/[/video]

Edit: elsewhere in the video he also says that he anticipates that the finances will be better in the future (rather than the huge losses over the last couple of years), predominantly through transfer dealings. There is only one way of interpreting this comment, imo - the value of player sales will significantly exceed the cost of player purchases. Unless, of course, he's bluffing. An experienced poker player would never do that, obviously.

We were 11th for points scored in 2021.

https://www.myfootballfacts.com/sta...ier-league-2020-21/premier-league-table-2021/

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Do Leicester have a top 5 budget?

No, but it was the biggest outside of the G6 apart from Everton.

Did they punch above their weight, yes a wee bit. Did Arsenal and Everton hugely underperform, I'd say yes.

As for the Albion, bottom six budget = bottom six position. Newcastle will leapfrog us when Mike Ashley eventually gets round to publishing their accounts. Wolves have 'unusual' relationships with some parties.

PL 20 Wages Amortisation.jpg

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I fear that someone is going to be disappointed then. I genuinely can't see a top 10 level of improvement next season unless the mythical 15 goal striker arrives from somewhere.

In 2017/18 44 pts was a top ten finish, and the following years were 52, 53 and then 59 last year. Prior to our joining the league the previous 5 years the pts tally was 45, 50, 48, 49 and 46 back in 2012/13. Turn stupid defeats like Palace and West Brom into victories and convert one more chance in just 3 of our 14 drawn games and that would give us an extra 12 pts which, in the last 10 years would have seen us in 10th 9 times.

It's a bit simplistic but it does illustrate how close we are.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
In 2017/18 44 pts was a top ten finish, and the following years were 52, 53 and then 59 last year. Prior to our joining the league the previous 5 years the pts tally was 45, 50, 48, 49 and 46 back in 2012/13. Turn stupid defeats like Palace and West Brom into victories and convert one more chance in just 3 of our 14 drawn games and that would give us an extra 12 pts which, in the last 10 years would have seen us in 10th 9 times.

It's a bit simplistic but it does illustrate how close we are.

What we tend to do is punch above our weight on occasions while struggling with the day to day job of beating those around us, will we beat City, Liverpool and Spurs at least once each next season ? will we manage to despatch Brentford, Norwich and their ilk ? We picked up bonus points on a few occasions while many were gnawing their fingers off because we couldn't beat Fulham, Sheffield utd and the worst Palace team for years.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Bad luck and poor refereeing are universal though, it happens to all clubs, we weren't the only recipients. I'd also like to know who is going to score all these extra goals to suddenly rocket us up to tenth in the table, (or higher).

As I posted earlier:
Webster, White, March, Lallana, Bissouma, AliJ, Allie Mac, Veltman all chipping in would make a huge difference.

They all had several chances last season but very few were taken.

Add to that Trossard and Maupay increasing their totals job done:)

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
I think where he is a Mathematician and the stats say this season was a top 10 season he knows the odds are against us not being to 10 next season if we play like this again. Therefore it very realistic to be top 10 next season.. What interests me is he says we have to be aiming to push on. That doesn't sound like someone who would have accepted relegation like some people believe. Like you say the Pressure is on Graham Potter.

I’m afraid that’s not mathematically correct. Each season is an independent event, so the previous season cannot influence (statistically) the events of the next. It’s a common misconception that throwing three heads will mean less likelihood of throwing a fourth. There’s just the same chance of a head or a tail, whatever was thrown before.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Bloom: "Top 10... is a very realistic aim for next season"

“Top 10 is a realistic aim”.

“Aim” is the key word here. Doesn’t seem to be an absolute requirement. And I agree with Tony, personally. It’s not easy, but it’s a realistic goal for us to have for where we are as a club and the progress we’ve made.

And I’m glad to see some sensible posts here. We are not far off. 15 or so points. Which on another season we would have got, ruling out our own inept last minute mistakes, being held to draws after battering teams and then the bizarre officiating we were subjected to in a number of games.

I agree with the poster above mentioning Sanchez. He’s a key component to us attaining more points next season (quite clear given the PPG increase since he came into the team).

So top 10 is a good stretching goal for us! Obviously we’d like to see Graham backed with some solid signings for the NOW as well as the future. But i think it is a reasonable aim, and come end of the season the board can review progress made.

That doesn’t mean people should start calling for the managers head in November and being abusive if we’re having a bad run. Let’s stay calm and review at the end of the season.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
No, but it was the biggest outside of the G6 apart from Everton.

Did they punch above their weight, yes a wee bit. Did Arsenal and Everton hugely underperform, I'd say yes.

As for the Albion, bottom six budget = bottom six position. Newcastle will leapfrog us when Mike Ashley eventually gets round to publishing their accounts. Wolves have 'unusual' relationships with some parties.

View attachment 137575

I'm intrigued by Wolves .."unusual relationships with some parties ".

Are you able to give any clues ?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Agreed. And the goals we need are already in the team. On the law of averages alone, a proportion of the near misses from Trossard, Lallana, Moder and the rest must surely go in next season.

We are hardly unique in that respect, I'm absolutely sure other teams have had their share of bad luck and near misses too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here