Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] £33 million for a championship striker, anyone?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Aston Villa's record £33m signing Emiliano Buendia has been welcomed as a "great addition" by boss Dean Smith after signing a five-year deal.

Norwich say they were "left with little option" to sell the Argentine midfielder after he sought a move away.

Buendia, 24, scored 15 goals and racked up 16 assists last season, helping the Canaries win the Championship title.

"We are delighted to have made such an exciting signing so early in the summer," said Smith.

And he's not even a striker, apparently ???

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We’re hopefully just about to sign another South American player for a third of that amount who’ll hopefully be three times better!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Wasn't Knockaert's record similar in 2016/17 ?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
He's a very good player who also had a good season in the PL the year before. Even then its a lot of money and the reason we have gone down the road we have. We can never compete for these sort of players £33m and say £100k a week over 5 years makes this closer to £60m over 5 years! Awful lot of money on just one player...

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Yeah definitely an upgrade on Barkley. But if they lose Grealish this summer they're massively weaker whomever they sign imho.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Champions league clubs are on the prowl for Alan now, looking doubtful.

Depends if he wants to play in the Prem or just join a Prem club. More chance of a game with us if he's good enough and it's bloody hard to come from South America at 19. Again more likely with us.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Depends if he wants to play in the Prem or just join a Prem club. More chance of a game with us if he's good enough and it's bloody hard to come from South America at 19. Again more likely with us.
We aren’t meeting their valuation which seems to be a stumbling block. That seems more of an issue at the moment.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I actually think Villa were really brave last summer and it paid off. And have been really brave getting this transfer done early.
They know there'll be genuine interest in Grealish, and they know the likes of Arsenal are looking at Buendia.
Whatever people think, we could sign a player for this much, and we could put them on 90-100k a week. But you have to do it.
Fair play to them.

Also his stats from 2 seasons were incredible. The guy is nothing approaching a striker- he is a hardworking creative midfielder.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I actually think Villa were really brave last summer and it paid off. And have been really brave getting this transfer done early.
They know there'll be genuine interest in Grealish, and they know the likes of Arsenal are looking at Buendia.
Whatever people think, we could sign a player for this much, and we could put them on 90-100k a week. But you have to do it.
Fair play to them.

Also his stats from 2 seasons were incredible. The guy is nothing approaching a striker- he is a hardworking creative midfielder.

In 2016 in the Championship they spent 12 million on Ross McComack, 11 million on Jonathan Kodija, and then a year later about 14 million on Scott Hogan, all while they were in the Championship. They were in all sorts of financial trouble the season they got promoted and there were all sort of stories about selling Grealish for 40 million to dig them out of a hole. Their fans were out and out saying they should just ignore FFP and refuse to adhere to any punishments that came their way.

So it might be brave to spend 33 million on Buendia early on, but I think Villa have a of a track record for being foolhardy in the transfer market. So yeah we could just go out and do the same, but it can lead you to real trouble too. I think the Albion's approach is far better than Villa's.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
In 2016 in the Championship they spent 12 million on Ross McComack, 11 million on Jonathan Kodija, and then a year later about 14 million on Scott Hogan, all while they were in the Championship. They were in all sorts of financial trouble the season they got promoted and there were all sort of stories about selling Grealish for 40 million to dig them out of a hole. Their fans were out and out saying they should just ignore FFP and refuse to adhere to any punishments that came their way.

So it might be brave to spend 33 million on Buendia early on, but I think Villa have a of a track record for being foolhardy in the transfer market. So yeah we could just go out and do the, but it can lead you to real trouble too. I think the Albion's approach is far better than Villa's.

Aye, 5 years ago they had a mare.
They're a level above us presently though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

So it might be brave to spend 33 million on Buendia early on, but I think Villa have a of a track record for being foolhardy in the transfer market. So yeah we could just go out and do the same, but it can lead you to real trouble too. I think the Albion's approach is far better than Villa's.

As you may know I like a lengthy nuanced discourse, so here goes.

Fukkem. The *****. Fact. :shrug:

What?

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Aye, 5 years ago they had a mare.
They're a level above us presently though.

I guess it depends on how you define level above. Their model is very clearly throw money at the project. Ours isn't.

As Potter explained recently our approach is be one of the 5% who do things differently. We have a goal in mind, a plan on how to achieve that and a team including Potter, Ashworth, Baber and Bloom who are on the same page about how to do it. No we're not buying players for 33 million a pop. We are buying young players and developing them, and currently have the likes of Lamptey, White, Bissouma, who are all probably at peak market value of about 50 million each, we also have a line of players developing in those positions ready to replace them.

I think whether our approach is better or worse probably comes down to what camp you find yoursefl in. If you want the Albion to throw money at players, then yes Villa are probably a level up on us. If you want the Albion to be sustainable and develop players, then I'd say we're probably a level up on Villa.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I guess it depends on how you define level above. Their model is very clearly throw money at the project. Ours isn't.

As Potter explained recently our approach is be one of the 5% who do things differently. We have a goal in mind, a plan on how to achieve that and a team including Potter, Ashworth, Baber and Bloom who are on the same page about how to do it. No we're not buying players for 33 million a pop. We are buying young players and developing them, and currently have the likes of Lamptey, White, Bissouma, who are all probably at peak market value of about 50 million each, we also have a line of players developing in those positions ready to replace them.

I think whether our approach is better or worse probably comes down to what camp you find yoursefl in. If you want the Albion to throw money at players, then yes Villa are probably a level up on us. If you want the Albion to be sustainable and develop players, then I'd say we're probably a level up on Villa.
I totally agree. I'm not saying I prefer their system to ours. Simply, that actually it can be brave to spend to money. And actually we do do it- we just do it with potential (currently linked to Velasco who will cost at least 10 million, for instance).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here